uneblinst's postgame chatter: vol 16; ed 34- Texas A&M

2 hours ago, BjoeHusker said:

Around the 0:50 second mark Gary says something like, “we’ll be back here next year.”

Wow! I love Fred’s look. You have awakened a sleeping giant. Watch what we do in the portal. Build on our strengths and address our weaknesses. I am pumped!

Edited by huskercabby

2 minutes ago, NUtball said:

Tough one to swallow.  A bit of an embarrassing way to end a fun season.

Bottom line is NU gave up 156 points in the last 60 minutes they played this season to more athletic teams.  That ain't gonna get it done anywhere.

And that's where we are in this rebuild. In Fred's first three years, we had a smidgen of inexperienced basketball talent and low- to mid-level athleticism. Last year and this, we added experience and basketball talent. For next year, we need to add more athleticism without sacrificing basketball IQ and experience.

That's a tough needle to thread at a place like Nebraska.

Morning after, I'm just thankful to have watched this team all year. I'll never take winning 19 games at home for granted, as that's a special season. I hate and am gutted it ended the way it did, but it is what it is. Tomorrow will still come. 

Fred and his staff are building a foundation, just need to continue to build on it. Guys internally to the program need to improve and develop, which seems to be the case with loesner being great at player development. Keisei, CJ, d walk, Gary are examples. I want to see Rice step into being a regular rotation piece and Lawrence be able to provide a good scoring punch as a starter or off the bench. 

Perhaps someone more skilled at getting video shots could put this moment up but at about the 17 minute mark in the 2nd half, a TA&M player absolutely RUNS OVER KT sending him flying to the floor. The ref is trailing the play. How he could have missed that is mind boggling. I know it was just one play but it was indicative of how this game was, and other games are, played. The frustration of that no call is what I believe caused KT to get T'd up later AND what led to Gary jawing with the A&M bench later on and getting a T. Nothing but admiration for the athletic abilities of the A&M players but this kind of basketball without consequence is bad for the game. There are plenty of contact sports like football and hockey. Please, somebody, rescue basketball from this.

I will give Coach Williams credit for a strong game plan.  I can't remember doubling the post one time. The reason of course is there was nobody in the low post. The ball was hardly ever on the wing or baseline so we could not force sideline/baseline into help or a low percentage shot.  Everything was from the top either by ball screen or straight line drive. Tip your hat to them for knocking down three pointers.  Illinois did a lot of the same things.  I didn't think we had great individual defenders this year but they were a product of the system which is s tribute to both the coaches and players.  TAM was just prepared for that system and got hot from three.

1 hour ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

I will give Coach Williams credit for a strong game plan.  I can't remember doubling the post one time. The reason of course is there was nobody in the low post. The ball was hardly ever on the wing or baseline so we could not force sideline/baseline into help or a low percentage shot.  Everything was from the top either by ball screen or straight line drive. Tip your hat to them for knocking down three pointers.  Illinois did a lot of the same things.  I didn't think we had great individual defenders this year but they were a product of the system which is s tribute to both the coaches and players.  TAM was just prepared for that system and got hot from three.

Buzz is a helluva coach. 

I wonder if the referee who teed KT up speaks Japanese? Otherwise, how did he know he wasn't saying, "Excuse me for interfering with your most excellent shot selection,Sir".

18 hours ago, KZRider said:

Perhaps someone more skilled at getting video shots could put this moment up but at about the 17 minute mark in the 2nd half, a TA&M player absolutely RUNS OVER KT sending him flying to the floor. The ref is trailing the play. How he could have missed that is mind boggling. I know it was just one play but it was indicative of how this game was, and other games are, played. The frustration of that no call is what I believe caused KT to get T'd up later AND what led to Gary jawing with the A&M bench later on and getting a T. Nothing but admiration for the athletic abilities of the A&M players but this kind of basketball without consequence is bad for the game. There are plenty of contact sports like football and hockey. Please, somebody, rescue basketball from this.

Edited by jimmykc

19 hours ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Ugh as a die hard Indians fan....I feel like it's never coming. That WS broke my heart and I feel the same way tonight. IDK, trying to find a silver lining but can't. I am proud of this team, but feels like no matter what we will always run into a buzzsaw.  

If the Cubbies can win it, the Huskers (and the Indians) can too! 😁

Finally home and had some time to reflect…

The second I saw A&M line-up for the tip I immediately said, “oh no this is a baaaad match for us.” They were just too big, too “man strong,” and too physical for us. I knew in my head they were good offensive rebounders, but when I saw them I understood it wasn’t an accident. Mast and Allick are great players but they’re simply not big/long/athletic enough to rebounds against them. Our guys worked hard, but they simply couldn’t high-point rebounds high enough that tips didn’t happen. 

Oh and then of course they shoot 60% from 3.

21 minutes ago, Nighthawk said:

There's trolls. Then there are trolls that actually look like trolls. Mason Voth ladies and gentlemen 😂

Screenshot_20240324_104139.jpg

Finally home from Memphis with some time to put this in perspective. 

As far as the game itself, I was so upset in the immediate aftermath. Giving up 58 points in the 1st half??? I mean, c’mon! But in retrospect, I’m not sure there are many teams that could have stayed with TAMU given the way they shot the ball. 

Nebraska fans, take a freakin bow. You truly are the best fans in the country and the way you showed up in Memphis was absolutely incredible.

• I was in Section 112 - to the TAMU d’bag in Section 113 who decided to start yapping: you showed a surprising amount of good sense when you snuck out before the final buzzer. You picked the wrong section, wrong fan base and you knew it. There were more than a half dozen NU fans in their mid-30s (not me) that would have liked to speak to you. 

It has been a fun year to cheer for this team. I’m hoping and praying that this is the start of something special. To all on the board - have a great offseason! GBR Always!

Notes from UNL

-Nebraska earned the No. 8 seed in the South Region and made its eighth all-time NCAA Tournament appearance and first since 2014.
-Nebraska finished the season with a 23-11 record. It was the second most wins in school history (26 in 1990-91), and the .676 winning percentage was also Nebraska's best since 1990-91 (.765).
-Nebraska ended the year with 319 made 3-pointers, which shattered the previous school record of 270 set in 2019. 
-The Huskers averaged 77.7 points per game this season, NU's highest scoring average since 1995-96. 
-Nebraska made 22-of-24 free throws for a postseason school record 91.7 percent.
-NU's 22 made free throws were its most since making 24 against South Carolina State on Dec. 29, 2023.
-Nebraska's 76.0 percent shooting from the free throw line this season marked Nebraska's best season from the charity stripe since a school-record 76.6 percentage in 2011-12. 
-Brice Williams had a team-high 24 points. It was his 25th double-figure scoring game of the season. It was also his third straight 20-point game and fifth of the season. Over the last three games, Williams averaged 23.3 points and shot 50.0 percent from the floor. 
-Keisei Tominaga, with 21 points, had his 22nd double-figure scoring game of the season and his eighth 20-point game of the season.
-Tominaga matched his career high with five made 3-point field goals. He has made five 3-pointers eight times in his career. 
-Tominaga finished his Husker career with 1,074 points to rank 30th on the all-time scoring list at Nebraska. 
-Tominaga's five 3-pointers brought his season total to 76 (eighth all-time at Nebraska) and his career total to 178 (seventh all-time). 
-Josiah Allick had his second double-double of the season and 13th of his career with 12 points and 11 rebounds. 
-Wade Taylor IV's seven 3-pointers made was the most by a Husker foe this season. 
-Texas A&M's 56.5 percent performance from 3-point range was a season high for a Husker opponent.

9 minutes ago, demone said:

• I was in Section 112 - to the TAMU d’bag in Section 113 who decided to start yapping: you showed a surprising amount of good sense when you snuck out before the final buzzer. You picked the wrong section, wrong fan base and you knew it. There were more than a half dozen NU fans in their mid-30s (not me) that would have liked to speak to you. 

You had Johnny Manziel in your section!?

On 3/23/2024 at 12:04 PM, NUtball said:

Tough one to swallow.  A bit of an embarrassing way to end a fun season.

Bottom line is NU gave up 156 points in the last 60 minutes they played this season to more athletic teams.  That ain't gonna get it done anywhere.

The last two games, by the half:

ILL 40 - 58

A&M 58 - 40

None of that was good enough.

On 3/23/2024 at 12:09 PM, jayschool said:

And that's where we are in this rebuild. In Fred's first three years, we had a smidgen of inexperienced basketball talent and low- to mid-level athleticism. Last year and this, we added experience and basketball talent. For next year, we need to add more athleticism without sacrificing basketball IQ and experience.

That's a tough needle to thread at a place like Nebraska.

Nail, meet hammer head. 

3 hours ago, huskercabby said:

What is it with players mocking Keisei. First it was Boie and Berry from Northwestern. Then Washington from A&M. Guess no one gets upset if they’re from Nebraska.

He's a scrawny kid from Japan.... and he likes to have fun & chirps a bit, so basically, he doesn't look the "part." That's my best guess. It is a weird fetish to troll him, in my humble opinion. 

1 hour ago, AuroranHusker said:

He's a scrawny kid from Japan.... and he likes to have fun & chirps a bit, so basically, he doesn't look the "part." That's my best guess. It is a weird fetish to troll him, in my humble opinion. 

Or, it could be a form of racism...