Best fans in the world

The “guess there’s nothing else to do in Nebraska” takes tonight are plenty and they’re old.  Gotta get some new material non-Husker fans.  You know we are doing something right when the “nothing to do in Nebraska” takes fly.

To be honest, Nebraska probably could have done 125… 150 even if they had a stadium big enough.  No this place didn’t sell out because of Scotty McWhoever.  This place sold out because we have the best and most loyal across the board fanbase in the NCAA.  Period.  Find me another school that has the attendance numbers Nebraska does at all major men’s and women’s sports across the board.  I’ll wait.

2 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

The “guess there’s nothing else to do in Nebraska” takes tonight are plenty and they’re old.  Gotta get some new material non-Husker fans.  You know we are doing something right when the “nothing to do in Nebraska” takes fly.

To be honest, Nebraska probably could have done 125… 150 even if they had a stadium big enough.  No this place didn’t sell out because of Scotty McWhoever.  This place sold out because we have the best and most loyal across the board fanbase in the NCAA.  Period.  Find me another school that has the attendance numbers Nebraska does at all major men’s and women’s sports across the board.  I’ll wait.

And to do it mid week, that is amazing. 

44 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

All too common. Something something corn. Cows. Single traffic light.

They can think whatever they want, but they'll just have to come to terms that a women's volleyball team played in front of bigger audiences than every single NFL team and all but nine college football stadiums.

10 hours ago, hskr4life said:

I would not have paid to see Scotty alone, I would have paid to go see the volleyball match without the concert. He was merely the closing act to the main event.  

27 minutes ago, colhusker said:

I would not have paid to see Scotty alone, I would have paid to go see the volleyball match without the concert. He was merely the closing act to the main event.  

If they would have just skipped the concert part and put the volleyball court at midfield they could have probably gotten attendance over 95,000.  I think it was a miscalculation on Trev and the AD's part to think that VB Day in Nebraska wouldn't be enough on its own to get fans out.  Just the burning desire to stick it to Wisconsin and shove their "record" in their face was always gonna be more than enough.

Edited by 49r

I was there and it was one of the two best events I've ever been to in this state.  The other one being No Sit Sunday.  There is no question that very few places could have pulled this off.  One think I've learned about Nebraska fans is they like to pat themselves on the back and self proclaim themselves the best fans in the country.  In certain categories, that is true.  As far as being loyal, I don't think there is any question that NU fans are at the top.  This event became more than just wanting to attend a volleyball game.  NU fans like a challenge and when this started getting marketed as breaking the world record so you knew people would show up (and show up they did).  This event was very well planned and it was hard not to have goosebumps being there.  

14 minutes ago, 49r said:

If they would have just skipped the concert part and put the volleyball court at midfield they could have probably gotten attendance over 95,000.  I think it was a miscalculation on Trev and the AD's part to think that VB Day in Nebraska wouldn't be enough on its own to get fans out.  Just the burning desire to stick it to Wisconsin and shove their "record" in their face was always gonna be more than enough.

I've been attending Husker sporting events for 56 years and it was one of the best events ever.  Extremely well done, both conceptually and execution-wise.   Seems bizarre to criticize and focus on "miscalculations" right after such a stunning success for our state, university and athletic department.   

20 minutes ago, 49r said:

If i remember correctly it was Cook who wanted the musical act. He wasn't exactly sure what the turnout would be without it. I think Sipple may have said that

26 minutes ago, HB said:

I've been attending Husker sporting events for 56 years and it was one of the best events ever.  Extremely well done, both conceptually and execution-wise.   Seems bizarre to criticize and focus on "miscalculations" right after such a stunning success for our state, university and athletic department.   

Nobody is saying it wasn't a great event, or that the NUAD didn't do a fantastic job with it.

1 hour ago, 49r said:

Or how about respecting Wisconsin for getting over 18,000 to a volleyball game as that is a pretty major accomplishment as well.  

On 8/30/2023 at 9:29 PM, hskr4life said:

Personally I hate visiting large cities because I think there's nothing to do in them.  I mean seriously, what do people do to fill their weekends in places like NYC, Philly, and Boston? Restaurant options -- great!  But is the average person going to professional sporting events and concerts every week? No, they're not.  And you know that because there's no way to fit 8 million New Yorkers in an 80,000 seat stadium or a 20,000 seat concert venue. 

The places I love are the places that many claim have nothing to do.  Give me Missoula, Fruita, Coeur d'Alene, and Juneau.  Places with relatively small populations and giant views.  Where your bike gets dirty and your lungs feel clean.  I find too much to do in those places, but nothing to do in big cities.  To each their own.

On 8/30/2023 at 10:29 PM, hskr4life said:

It's a fact that there isn't that much competition for the sports dollar in Nebraska. Our own coaches use "there's no pro sports, so you're the king of the hill" as a recruiting pitch, so it doesn't bother me.

2 hours ago, aphilso1 said:

Personally I hate visiting large cities because I think there's nothing to do in them.  I mean seriously, what do people do to fill their weekends in places like NYC, Philly, and Boston? Restaurant options -- great!  But is the average person going to professional sporting events and concerts every week? No, they're not.  And you know that because there's no way to fit 8 million New Yorkers in an 80,000 seat stadium or a 20,000 seat concert venue. 

The places I love are the places that many claim have nothing to do.  Give me Missoula, Fruita, Coeur d'Alene, and Juneau.  Places with relatively small populations and giant views.  Where your bike gets dirty and your lungs feel clean.  I find too much to do in those places, but nothing to do in big cities.  To each their own.

I think people are more similar than they think; big city or small town. If you really break it down to the basics, people are spending their time with family/friends, eating/drinking, doing indoor/outdoor hobbies, and just trying to live as comfortable of a life as they can.