uneblinst's postgame chatter: vol 16; ed 5 - Oregon State

Bugeaters1

what I love about this team is we can put lineups out there that actually have zero offensive liabilities. Historically we have always had one or two. W Gary able to hit threes, we have all 5 positions you can't leave open. And Tominaga won't have to go for 25 a game. Not even close, much more balanced this year. 
And this is one of the deepest teams I can remember in quite some time 

Fun experience. I think it was the first time this season the whole crowd got up and yelled when on defense. The beauty of the neutral site game is the people who show up care and show it during the game. 

Watching Allick, Gary, and Mast relentlessly pursue rebounds all season is going to be good for the soul. 

Hope this gets some excitement at PBA this week because they may need it to beat Duquesne. 

1 hour ago, Faux Mike Peltz said:

what I love about this team is we can put lineups out there that actually have zero offensive liabilities. Historically we have always had one or two. W Gary able to hit threes, we have all 5 positions you can't leave open. And Tominaga won't have to go for 25 a game. Not even close, much more balanced this year. 
And this is one of the deepest teams I can remember in quite some time 

There have been so many times over the years where you just look at the lineup on the floor and wonder who the hell is going to score?

Tall kid for Oregon St. who came in as a sub, #3 Gavin Marrs, well, his mother is originally from Henderson, Nebraska. That was a pretty cool experience for him to have a lot of fans in attendance in the heartland of America. And, conference affiliation-wise, I kind of feel bad that both Wazzu & Oregon St. as they are essentially being left to hold down things as the forsaken "Pac-2" going forward, but this season is still the full 12. Anyway, that's your fun fact for today's game that not many would likely know.

On a Husker note, great ballgame by NU today in Sioux Falls. My dude Brice Williams balled out & so did the defense for Nebraska, it was a game-changer during that 20-0 first half run that broke it wide open. GBR

Edited by AuroranHusker

7 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

Tall kid for Oregon St. who came in as a sub, #3 Gavin Marrs, well, his mother is originally from Henderson, Nebraska. That was a pretty cool experience for him to have a lot of fans in attendance in the heartland of America. And, conference affiliation-wise, I kind of feel bad that both Wazzu & Oregon St. as they are essentially being left to hold down things as the forsaken "Pac-2" going forward, but this season is still the full 12. Anyway, that's your fun fact for today's game that not many would likely know.

On a Husker note, great ballgame by NU today in Sioux Falls. My dude Brice Williams balled out & so did the defense for Nebraska, it was a game-changer during that 20-0 first half run that broke it wide open. GBR

Met his grandfather.  He may have thought we didn't know where Henderson was; but he said he was from York.  Cool to greet him.  He was a very proud man!

12 hours ago, basketballjones said:

I don’t mean to make too big of a deal out of that game. But that was huge. We always lose a game kinda like that in the non con that bites us in the ass. To completely take care of them is such a breath of fresh air. 

This type of game is a unicorn. You need to play 10 points better than us to defeat us in the Pentagon 

Accidentally subscribed to Peacock for this one as I thought I was just downloading the app.

Im sure glad I did— that was fun!

- Two double doubles in the same game… when is the last time that happened? Gary had 12/10… Mast 15/13.

- We didn’t even shoot it particularly well in this one.  46/33/61 splits.  We can do better on all of those.  

- Dominated the glass again and I think that might be a common theme as the year progresses.  44-31 overall and we had 17 offensive boards.

- Went to an Oregon St message board and they were pretty down on the team.  They weren’t high on us either.  Apparently one of their guys is working his way back from injury.

- Duq will be a tough test for us again but we should head into Creighton undefeated.  I’m pumped for that one since we will.

- That’s a huge week for us.  Creighton, @ Minny, MSU in a 7 day span.  1 win is bare minimum… 2 is really keeping the momentum alive and 3 is ranked team and start the games of interest thread.

- These are the types of games we’ve always should have won but always seem to allow it to be closer than it should and/or lose them.

My goodness - I thought we'd win double-digits-plus and the -8.5 was a gimme, but that was even more impressive than I expected.

And Keisei didn't even have an average game, let alone a big game. Nice to know we can play that way and he doesn't have to carry us. I loved Keisei's pass to Allick for the dunk in transition early 2nd half after he had just hit a 3 in transition and easily could've popped another, but he chose to look for a big man running the floor. He definitely doesn't do that this time last year.

There's a lot to like about this team. Very curious to see how things go Wednesday. DU is for real, and this is the absolute definition of a letdown/trap game, but our veterans should be able to help everyone stay on the right page. If we lock in again on defense Wednesday, I think it goes well.

We took advantage of a soft start to the schedule. It's a good time for a really tough test in DU.

Notes from UNL

*-Nebraska improves to 5-0 for the first time since a 6-0 start in 2008-09.
*-Nebraska scored 80-or-more points for the fourth time in five games
*-Nebraska improved to 2-0 in the Sanford Pentagon with wins over Oklahoma State (2018) and Oregon State (2023)
*-Nebraska’s 20-0 first-half run was its largest since a 20-0 run against Iowa on Dec. 29, 2022.
*-Nebraska held OSU scoreless for 8:50 (11:41-2:51) building a 38-15 lead.
*-Rienk Mast now has 26 career games with 10+ rebounds and 23 career double-double, finishing with 15 points and 13 rebounds for his third double-double of the year.
*-Brice Williams posted his first 20-point game at Nebraska and 13th of his career with 25 points. His 25 points was a season high for any Husker in 2023-24. It was most points by a Husker since Keisei Tominaga had 30 points against Penn State on Feb. 5, 2023.
*-Nebraska out-rebounded Oregon State, 44-31, the fourth straight game NU has out-rebounded an opponent by at least 10 rebounds. It is the first time since the 2004-05 season NU had outrebounded four straight points by 10+ rebounds.