Fred did… what many of us thought…. Knew…. He could.  This team was an absolute blast to watch!  Loved them.  They will go down as one of the most fun to watch and not JUST because of the W number they put up.

I hate when other teams talk about “pain” and losing in March.  We deserve one win.  More than that though… the TEAM and Fred and Shamus and Kent and everyone involved deserve one too.

I was NCAA or bust going into this year and they did just that.  I’m fine with the Fred extension.  Happy that he’s willing to stay here and try and build something.  The continuity will be nice and something this program hasn’t had in a while.

Waking up today didn’t take the sting out of yesterday.  The tears… for winning at least… wait at least one more year.  It’s going to happen.  I can feel it.  We’re going to go into next year the hunted and not the hunter.  How do we respond?

Well said - last night sucked a$$ to put it mildly. Even though I saw the sun come up this morning, it doesn't really feel like it.

But this last season and a half feels like we're still on the climb. 

Last night was a one-off versus what we've done going 29-14 over the past 43 games with a 21-14 record versus high-major teams. The impressive record in the last 35 games against peers is not a fluke. Not by a long shot.

We beat multiple teams that are still playing in the second round and took another second-rounder to OT on the road. Not a fluke.

Excited to see how the roster shakes out, how many guys use their extra year, and how we handle being the hunted instead of the hunter in 2024-25. We won't be picked 13th next season.

Edited by throwback

Sorry, the hurt is still present.  Won't golf today.  Won't watch any basketball.  Hard to even be on this site.  Thank gawd we won in Corvallis last night.  Took out a little frustration on a fellow fan who said Amy was outcoached last night...yada, yada, yada.

5 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

Sorry, the hurt is still present.  Won't golf today.  Won't watch any basketball.  Hard to even be on this site.  Thank gawd we won in Corvallis last night.  Took out a little frustration on a fellow fan who said Amy was outcoached last night...yada, yada, yada.

This basically sums up how I feel. Most demoralizing Husker loss in any sport for me probably since the football team gave up 70 to Wisconsin in the B1G championship game. Just on the brink of something big, then lay an egg. Volleyball is the exception, but it's not one of the sports I came to love as a child like basketball and football are. This one will bum me out for several days to come.

Looking forward to learning what the makeup of next year's roster will be but still have to heal from this one before I can be engaged again. 

1 hour ago, throwback said:

Last night was a one-off versus what we've done going 29-14 over the past 43 games with a 21-14 record versus high-major teams. The impressive record in the last 35 games against peers is not a fluke. Not by a long shot.

Some of the most fun I've had as a fan.  No reason this team can't make the tournament on a consistent basis.  The program is only at the first step.  Winning one tournament game isn't the end all.  Consistently make the tournament and it will come.

At the first of the year, I venture any of us would have been happy for it to end with a one and done NCAA performance. The problem is the team performed so well, most of us fully expected more victories. The bar has now been set for expectations next year. Bring it on, Fred and all; we have been primed. 

3 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Still the most wins in a season for this program since before many of you were born.

I'm disappointed. Demoralized. It was embarrassing. The aTm fans were jerks. All of those things.

But the sun came up this morning. I have a tee time. And my guys were still the best team we've put out there in close to 3 decades.

So, I'm keeping my season tickets and I'll see you all at the vault next fall.

Best regards,

Norm

Renew them, Norm, but for god's sake please upgrade.  We need you in the lower bowl.  

2 hours ago, hskr4life said:

Fred did… what many of us thought…. Knew…. He could.  This team was an absolute blast to watch!  Loved them.  They will go down as one of the most fun to watch and not JUST because of the W number they put up.

I hate when other teams talk about “pain” and losing in March.  We deserve one win.  More than that though… the TEAM and Fred and Shamus and Kent and everyone involved deserve one too.

I was NCAA or bust going into this year and they did just that.  I’m fine with the Fred extension.  Happy that he’s willing to stay here and try and build something.  The continuity will be nice and something this program hasn’t had in a while.

Waking up today didn’t take the sting out of yesterday.  The tears… for winning at least… wait at least one more year.  It’s going to happen.  I can feel it.  We’re going to go into next year the hunted and not the hunter.  How do we respond?

Yeah for as much I am sad, mad, bitter etc… it is nothing compared to the players, coaches, support staff and their families. That is who I am sorry and heart broken for. 
Doesn’t feel like a death, had death in my family and that hurts more.  Never been divorced so don’t know that pain. I think this feels kind of like where you have your Tux ordered, are renting a limo and you date calls and says I got a better offer.🤔🤷

really can’t wait until next year. 

5 minutes ago, Silverbacked1 said:

Yeah for as much I am sad, mad, bitter etc… it is nothing compared to the players, coaches, support staff and their families. That is who I am sorry and heart broken for. 
Doesn’t feel like a death, had death in my family and that hurts more.  Never been divorced so don’t know that pain. I think this feels kind of like where you have your Tux ordered, are renting a limo and you date calls and says I got a better offer.🤔🤷

really can’t wait until next year. 

It’s like losing a family.  A family that will never be the same again.  Not losing them to death. But losing the fact that you’ll never play together as a group again.  Never (most likely) be all in the same place at once again.  You lose them as everyone goes their separate ways.  And you’ll always have the nagging sense that you left things unfinished.  And that’s the hardest part. You know the guys are feeling the burden of still not winning that first game.  

1 hour ago, hskr4life said:

It’s like losing a family.  A family that will never be the same again.  Not losing them to death. But losing the fact that you’ll never play together as a group again.  Never (most likely) be all in the same place at once again.  You lose them as everyone goes their separate ways.  And you’ll always have the nagging sense that you left things unfinished.  And that’s the hardest part. You know the guys are feeling the burden of still not winning that first game.  

This. I've lost people, that's the worst. Been divorced, that's next. I've made a lot of long distance moves in my life. This kind of feels like that. You know when you move that you are never really going to see people in your life again from where you are moving from and it's sad. 

Edited by cornfed24-7

This was me last night, and it still is me today. I hurt more for the players than myself, especially the seniors. I do think Fred will bring in more qualified players to replace those we lose like last year. But I expect to an even better extent. Will that translate to the dance again? I dunno. 

Norm spotted me outside the arena and gave a huge high five. Then several hundred, probably closer to a couple thousand, Husker fans started cheering HUS-KER POW-ER before they let us in. I told Norm something along the lines of “if today isn’t the day, then when is?”  It felt like it was going to happen. From being favored by Vegas, to Husker fans showing out, to having a “team”…it felt like the wait was over. When Keisei hit those first three and then Reink hit a deep one…I just didn’t think TAMU could keep up with us.  

I feel so terrible for the seniors, the whole team, Kent, Shamus, Pat, and fans who have waited for so long like HB, Jimmy, Cip…I just think this will sting until the ball tips again. Just hoping our schedule is strong enough or weak enough to not have an uphill climb to the tournament. I know the team will be talented enough, but what does that mean? This drought has to end soon. That’s all I have to say guys.

From a sports perspective, this is awful. But we’re not too far from Kansas City, and that means we’re just a few hours from hugging our kids and kissing their foreheads and telling them we love them. And that will do for another day. GBR always. 

4 hours ago, jimmykc said:

At the first of the year, I venture any of us would have been happy for it to end with a one and done NCAA performance. 

Not so fast, my friend.  There were a couple of us who didn't think that way.  🙂

I want to be the first to go on record, that depending on who returns and who we get in the portal, Nebraska is preseason top half of the expanded Big Ten Conference, and among others receiving votes in the national polls.  When's the last time that happened?

Boo F'ing Hoo time is over.  We get this done!  GBR

14 minutes ago, cipsucks said:

Not so fast, my friend.  There were a couple of us who didn't think that way.  🙂

I want to be the first to go on record, that depending on who returns and who we get in the portal, Nebraska is preseason top half of the expanded Big Ten Conference, and among others receiving votes in the national polls.  When's the last time that happened?

Boo F'ing Hoo time is over.  We get this done!  GBR

We were ranked to start the year in 2014-15 and 2018-19.

As of right now the top 5 in Big Ten preseason would likely be Oregon, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Iowa and Purdue. Minnesota should be top half also. This will obviously change a lot in the offseason, but top half isn’t a stretch at all. Should be top third. 

I'll be surprised if Husker make top half even if main contributors return.

Michigan St./Izzo will get top 3-4 love.

Ohio St.'s late season success will propel them.

Media will hop on Rutgers bringing in 2 studs. 

Illinois' success this year will carry over.

Guess I'm probably saying name on front of jersey outweighs other stuff. And I'd just as soon prefer to be picked to finish in double digits again.

2 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

This season will age like fine wine as the years go on. Great season, got to go my first NCAA tournament where the Huskers played. We have a coach with a stable core of assistants and players. It's possible to be optimistic and realistic at the same time. GBR

Ernie has a good reputation in the coaching circles.  If the right head coaching opportunity arises, we may have to find a replacement.

Well said - last night sucked a$$ to put it mildly. Even though I saw the sun come up this morning, it doesn't really feel like it.

But this last season and a half feels like we're still on the climb. 

We beat multiple teams that are still playing in the second round and took another second-rounder to OT on the road. Not a fluke.

Excited to see how the roster shakes out, how many guys use their extra year, and how we handle being the hunted instead of the hunter in 2024-25. We won't be picked 13th next season.

All of that. Freddy's trajectory is rising but we need some B1G dudes. Watching a lot of good teams the several days proved that!

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk

33 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

Ernie has a good reputation in the coaching circles.  If the right head coaching opportunity arises, we may have to find a replacement.

He already tried his hand at being a head coach and now he’s in the later stages of his career. It’s possible, but I’d be more concerned about an assistant coaching offer in his home state, like Michigan. 

I believe Fred has the program on solid ground.  This week will tell us more about the coming and going of our roster.  Regardless, next season will be a challenge with the four West Coast Schools coming.  Travel alone will create more hardships.  I would hope there would be some Friday-Sunday or Saturday-Monday road trips for teams going West and vice versa when they fly East.  Pair Oregon and Washington and the LA schools together.

24 minutes ago, millerhusker said:

He already tried his hand at being a head coach and now he’s in the later stages of his career. It’s possible, but I’d be more concerned about an assistant coaching offer in his home state, like Michigan. 

Ernie is 57...might have just turned 58.

https://www.si.com/college/2023/02/20/top-25-coaches-next-wave-forde-minutes

7 hours ago, Cazzie22 said:

I believe Fred has the program on solid ground.  This week will tell us more about the coming and going of our roster.  Regardless, next season will be a challenge with the four West Coast Schools coming.  Travel alone will create more hardships.  I would hope there would be some Friday-Sunday or Saturday-Monday road trips for teams going West and vice versa when they fly East.  Pair Oregon and Washington and the LA schools together.

You make a tremendous amount of sense and sounds like a smart plan. Guessing BIg 10 offices will never consider it.