2024 Portal Watch

I'm not too worried about replacing these guys, but thinking bigger picture, it's got me wondering...is there any point to recruiting High School players anymore? Our recent high school recruits:

Eli Rice - gone after 1 year

Jamarques Lawrence - gone after 2 years

Ramel Lloyd - gone after 2 years 

Matar Diop - gone after 1 year

Quaran McPherson - gone after 2 years 

Denim Dawson - gone after 2 years 

Oleg Kojenets - gone after 2 years

Wilhelm Breidenbach - gone after 2 years

Eduardo Andre - gone after 2 years

Keon Edwards - gone after 1 year

Bryce McGowens - NBA after 1 year

From what I can gather, Thor Thorbjarnarson is the last high school recruit to complete even 3 full years at Nebraska (his fourth year was 2020-21). 

I think that is what stings about Jamarques the most. We finally had a HS recruit that was doing something positive on the court, and we couldn't keep him around. 

Edited by GhostOfJoeMcCray

46 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

Simply incapable of putting a positive spin on this...yet.  I suppose in a month or so when the additions are at or near an end, we may be able to look back and release a big old smile...until then, we still haven't heard from Cale, Sam, Henry, Grace, Reink, Juwan or Brice.

Heck, what about Nick and Braden?  Has any team in the country lost as many as we have?  What does our new AD think?  Heck, what does Fred think?  Fred?  Hello Fred, you still out there?

Good grief. 

Based on what I'm seeing from last year, 271 teams had signed 1+ transfers in 2022-2023. Of the team's who signed at least one transfer, the average amount of players they signed was 4.9.

I haven't found a solid data source of how many LEAVE for these types of schools, but the inverse can be helpful as well. I'd imagine those numbers will be higher this season.

I also read somewhere that 33% of NCAA basketball players end up transferring at some point in their careers. That stat isn't overly helpful as there could be repeat offenders, but also helpful context.

This isn't Uncle Naismith's basketball anymore...

4 hours ago, hskr4life said:

This type of transfer makes me stop and pause as we think about culture fit.  Someone who transferred to a team that was in the Top 25 for the majority of the season, started, and led the team

in scoring.  What else could he be looking for?

Mo money ?

3 hours ago, GhostOfJoeMcCray said:

I'm not too worried about replacing these guys, but thinking bigger picture, it's got me wondering...is there any point to recruiting High School players anymore? Our recent high school recruits:

Eli Rice - gone after 1 year

Jamarques Lawrence - gone after 2 years

Ramel Lloyd - gone after 2 years 

Matar Diop - gone after 1 year

Quaran McPherson - gone after 2 years 

Denim Dawson - gone after 2 years 

Oleg Kojenets - gone after 2 years

Wilhelm Breidenbach - gone after 2 years

Eduardo Andre - gone after 2 years

Keon Edwards - gone after 1 year

Bryce McGowens - NBA after 1 year

From what I can gather, Thor Thorbjarnarson is the last high school recruit to complete even 3 full years at Nebraska (his fourth year was 2020-21). 

I think that is what stings about Jamarques the most. We finally had a HS recruit that was doing something positive on the court, and we couldn't keep him around. 

It's worth recruiting HS guys because at some point you want to build a more solid base where you replace a couple of guys as opposed to half the team. Also, you can get away with not playing those guys right away and potentially retaining them. Finally, it would help if we recruited better freshman.

5 hours ago, Minnesota_Husker said:

Was up above earlier, Bug eaters shared it.. post 589 if that helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wait, What?  Posts are Numbered???  (if so where is it shown?)

But not likely to help since if a tweet is deleted it won't show up in the original post anymore either.   (unless you take a picture of the tweet and post it in lieu of a link)

Wait, What?  Posts are Numbered???  (if so where is it shown?)

But not likely to help since if a tweet is deleted it won't show up in the original post anymore either.   (unless you take a picture of the tweet and post it in lieu of a link)

Might just be mobile but yes they are and it was a screenshot so still showing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

34 minutes ago, Cookie Miller Wasn't Dirty said:

I wouldn’t give up on high schoolers entirely, but I know what I would do… only recruit them if they’re from around the area. Like 500 mile radius max.

The probability of someone like Lawrence from the east coast staying more than a year or two are so much lower than a kid who is within reasonable driving distance of home.

Way more likely to be fans of Husker basketball growing up as well, or at least know about us. Buy-in should be higher you would think.

On 4/1/2024 at 8:42 PM, The Polish Rifle said:

Air Husker is going Fargo-Minny-Peoria-Champaign. One possibility:

Peoria = Hickman,  Champaign = Dainja, Minneapolis = Payne, and Fargo = Morgan.

I CAN DIG IT!!

Those would be a great quadruple of prospectin'!

6 hours ago, royalfan said:

Freshman will become vastly more important after the Covid year funnels out if the game.  Going to be massively harder to get as old as teams were as able to this year and will be even more able to do next season.  

Shouldn't we be officially finished with the "extra year" upon this upcoming season's end?!

Edited by AuroranHusker

14 hours ago, GhostOfJoeMcCray said:

I know a lot of our fanbase thinks the sky is falling and that Fred somehow hasn't earned his extension (yes, there are people saying this). But on April 1, 2023, our Nebraska Basketball scholarship roster for 2023-24 looked like this:

Keisei Tominaga (did not announce his return until June 1)

Blaise Keita

Juwan Gary

C.J. Wilcher

Jamarques Lawrence

Ramel Lloyd

Wilhelm Breidenbach (would enter portal in May)

Quaran McPherson (would enter portal in late April)

Eli Rice

Rienk Mast committed April 12

Brice Williams committed April 12

Josiah Allick committed May 2

Matar Diop committed July 23

Deep breaths everyone, it will be OK. We are in a much better spot than we were at this time last year. 

Yep. If the Debbie downers viewed other programs with the same watchful eye as we do Nebraska, they would not be so down in the dumps. We’re in good shape and it will get much better in the next month or so.