Transfer portal watch

Bugeaters1

Be nice to get a post with two or 3 years left.  Potential to back up Markowski for a year and then take over for 1 or 2 years after that.  My way out hope was Mendelson would be that person by giving up VB and concentrating on BB.  Not to be.  But Huskerpapa is right.  We are getting a whole lot more attention lately from our latest games but also including how positive women sports are treated at NU by the university and the teams fans.

3 Million viewers Sunday for the Iowa game.  Compare that to 1.7 for the National Championship game in VB.  That exposure has to help recruiting. 

Would hate to lose Potts but I want people who want to play for Nebraska. 

I thought I remembered someone on HHC mention around mid-season that Potts might be a potential transfer.  However, the memory ain't as good as it used to be.  It would really hurt to lose her.  I've thought all season how much she could improve with an off-season in the weight room and to work further on her play in the paint.  I was was afraid she might 'break' during B1G play with how willowy thin she is banging around with the wide-bodies, but she took all the beatings and tacklings and improved in the last month.

i am confused about the portal dates.  The NCAA site ways that the portal opens tomorrow, yet sounds like a lot of players are already in it. ???? perhaps those "in it" have simply signaled that they intend to enter it as soon as it is officially open.  Or maybe the "open" dates refer to when schools can make contact.  Anyone know for sure?

Remember her some when she was in H S locally.  Naturally athletic, tall at 6-4, but looked like not enough playing experience then anyway, and was behind the curve a bit. But that's several years ago now. Haven't seen her play recent years. So no good idea where she's at playing wise.

She went to Miami U at first I think out of H  S ?? 

A one year backup at the 4 and 5 ? 

20 minutes ago, redsteve said:

Remember her some when she was in H S locally.  Naturally athletic, tall at 6-4, but looked like not enough playing experience then anyway, and was behind the curve a bit. But that's several years ago now. Haven't seen her play recent years. So no good idea where she's at playing wise.

She went to Miami U at first I think out of H  S ?? 

A one year backup at the 4 and 5 ? 

* Entering the 2023-24 season, Nyayongah Gony will have three years of eligibility remaining due to the additional covid year granted to student-athletes who competed during the 2020-21 season and for the 2021-22 season serving as a redshirt season for Gony

Pronunciation: Nye-YUN-guh GO-knee

Career Highlights
• Advanced to the Second Round of the 2023 NCAA Tournament after defeating Illinois in the First Four and Creighton in the First Round
• Helped MSU become the first women's team to play in a First Four game and advance to the Second Round of the NCAA Tournament. Defeated Illinois 70-56 on March 15, 2023, in the First Four.

2022-23 (Redshirt Sophomore)
Played in 8 of the teams 33 games … Made her Mississippi State debut on Nov. 9, 2022 vs Mississippi Valley State … She scored three total points and grabbed nine rebounds with four assists, one blocked shot and one steal … Recorded a season-high three assists vs ULM with three rebounds and a blocked shot vs the Warhawks … Scored two of her three points at Georgia on Jan. 29.

MIAMI
2021-22 (Sophomore)
Sat out the 2021-22 season … Redshirted

2020-21 (Freshman)
Appeared in all 22 games for Miami … Averaged 3.5 points, 1.3 rebounds with six steals, four assists and one blocked shot … Scored in 15 games that she played, in including an eight-game scoring streak from Nov. 28 to Jan. 7 … Knocked down a 3-pointer in 11 of 22 games played … Scored a season-high 13 points at Syracuse (1/17) while also setting season-bests in field goals made (4) and free throws made (4) … The 13-point outing against the Orange was the first double-digit effort in her career … Paced all Hurricanes players (min. 50 attempts) in 3-point shooting, hitting 32.7% of her shots from beyond the arc (17-for-52) … Shot 75% from the free throw line (9-of-12) … Gony was the only freshman to see playing time for Miami during the 2020-21 season … Made her collegiate debut on Nov. 25, 2020 against Jacksonville

High School
Prepped at Lincoln High School in Lincoln, Neb. … Rated as a four-star prospect according to both espnW HoopGurlz and ProspectsNation.com … Ranked as the No. 56 overall player in class of 2020 by espnW HoopGurlz … Ranked as the No. 13 forward in the class by HoopGurlz … Top recruit in the state of Nebraska … Named a Nebraska Class A All-State Honorable Mention as a senior in 2020 … Helped her team to a 17-7 record as a senior … Earned First Team Class A All-State Honors as a junior … During her sophomore season, Gony and her sister helped lead Lincoln to the state tournament for the first time since 2004 … Didn't start playing basketball until the sixth grade

Personal
Sister, Nyagoa, played basketball at Purdue and graduated in 2022 … Chose Miami over Louisville, Florida State, Nebraska and Purdue

Career Highs (Entering 2023-24)
Rebounds: 5, vs Notre Dame (12/31/2020) *
Field Goals Made: 4, at Syracuse (1/17/2021) *
Field Goals Attempted: 8, at Florida State (2/14/2021) *
3-Point Field Goals Made: 3, at Florida State (2/14/2021) *
3-Point Field Goals Attempted: 8, at Florida State (2/14/2021) *
Free Throws Made: 4, at Syracuse (1/17/2021) *
Free Throws Attempted: 4, at Syracuse (1/17/2021) *
Assists: 3, vs ULM (11/29/2022)
Steals: 2, vs North Florida (11/28/2020) *
Blocks: 1, 2x, last vs ULM (11/29/2022)
Minutes: 21, at Syracuse (1/17/2021) *