Jeriah Horne will transfer

2 hours ago, jimmykc said:

Let me just state that as a parent, coach, coaches' son, and someone who was once privy to a lot of behind the scenes stuff in the NU program that any player who sits on the bench never, ever has parents who are happy with the coach. In fact , a starter who is a role player to the "star" usually has parents who think the coach under-appreciates their son or daughter's talents. That's just the way it is.

I agree and I was not trying to criticize his parents at all, you have to look out for your kids first and I would be emotional as well. I just think the expectations were not matching and it is not surprising to me that they are making this decision. I wish Jeriah and his family the best and wish they would reconsider, I see a lot of potential.

There is/was a logjam for Horne.  He really is a 3/stretch 4 fighting for minutes with Jacobson, Roby, McVeigh, Taylor, and Gill (until his injury).  When Morrow went out, Horne's minutes did not jump up until the Purdue-MSU-Iowa games where he averaged ~20 minutes each game.  After Morrow came back, Horne's minutes dropped.  When help was needed at the 4, Fuller got the nod over Horne it seemed.  None of the above leave this next season (although Gill will be slow coming back).  Miles seems to have a preference for guards at the 3 which means Anteken and the unknown guard who takes Fuller's scholarship will further cut into Horne's minutes.  Even if Horne was not disgruntled, all of the above would give anyone pause for coming back next year.

16 hours ago, uneblinstu said:

If Wingett can get the grades...get him on campus.

I saw him play in person last week and make some ridiculous long range shots. He doesn't play very hard, probably cuz he's use to being the best player on the floor, but he has a nice all-around game, and the "home town boy made good" factor would be off the charts. Most people think he's headed the JUCO route, I hope Miles gets him to Lincoln.

Edited by Handy Johnson

And....he's gone

Jeriah Horne Announces Decision to Transfer
Lincoln – University of Nebraska Head Coach Tim Miles announced Wednesday that freshman Jeriah Horne has decided to transfer from the Husker program following the spring semester.

“Jeriah informed me earlier this week that he intends to transfer,” Miles said. “Though I'm disappointed and hoped he'd stay at Nebraska, I fully support him as he considers his future plans.”

Horne, a 6-foot-7 forward from Overland Park, Kan., played in 29 games as a freshman, averaging 4.3 points and 1.9 rebounds per game. Horne had a season-high 18 points in a win over Southern, one of five double-figure performances for Horne during the 2016-17 season.

“I want to take a moment and thank the University of Nebraska, Coach Miles, my teammates, my fellow students and all the fans of Husker basketball for welcoming me into their community. I am so thankful for the support I have received here at Nebraska,” Horne said. 

“However, I have decided to transfer at the end of the year. This wasn't an easy decision, but I feel it is best that I explore other educational and athletic opportunities that may be available to me. I will be forever grateful for the opportunity I was given and wish everybody at the University of Nebraska nothing but success."

The Huskers return four starters and eight of the team’s top 10 scorers from the 2016-17 team, while welcoming a trio of newcomers, including Georgetown transfer Isaac Copeland and Miami transfer James Palmer Jr., and incoming freshman Nana Akenten.

2 hours ago, Husker4theSpurs said:

Horne was a different player than I assumed coming in. I figured he was going to be an undersized 4 (like so many of our players) and not have a great outside shot. He was a much better shooter than I had figured (not that he was a consistently good shooter). I guess it concerns me a little that on a team that has a lack of people who can shoot and make an outside shot, we lose a kid that had some of those skills from fairly nearby. He probably currently isn't quick enough to guard as well as we need him to for the position he plays (this is a common problem for us too it seems). Horne looked like he could trim up a little bit and shave some baby weight with some time in the weight room so maybe he could've improved his quickness and lateral movement?

Anyhow, this also leads me to feel like we don't have a lot of good long-term roster planning going on when you have SO many guys who seemingly play a similar position. I know at some point you just have to search for talent, period ... also, I know it's hard to know who is going to stick around and pan out and whatnot, so that makes it more difficult too. Still, the vision and direction for the program has been lacking imho. Miles relied on transfers a bit much early on (and took some chances on some attitudes) and it kind of paid off, but I'm not sure that was a good long-term choice. Again, kind of the name of the game these days though.

I have lots of concerns going forward and to be honest I probably would've felt better about McVeigh leaving than Horne. Yes, I think Miles needs to discipline guys and make sure they're working hard in practice, but sometimes I fear there are a lot of mind games that go on and you just need to give guys some room to make mistakes and grow on the court. While Tai played lots of minutes his whole career I personally believe Miles played a lot of head games with him. Miles seems to get credit for "developing" Tai because of this year, but I think more of the truth is that he had to let the reins loose a bit as we were so thin and Tai was just allowed to do his thing a bit and gain some confidence because he didn't fear making mistakes so much. Again, just my opinion and I know that's likely not to be popular with everyone here.

I enjoy the cheap shots at Miles in your first paragraph. Way to start things off. Horne, for whatever reason, and as of now none of us know what why, he wanted to tranfer and had his mind made up prior to meeting with the coaching staff? Not sure what TM could have done differently.

In your second paragraph more shots at Miles. You back off from bagging on his roster management when you realize how difficult it is and then take another shot his roster management. No team in the country has perfect roster or even a close to perfect roster. Wing players seem to be generally more abundant. 

You have lots of concerns....and they would be? I would not have felt better if McVeigh had left. I like the double talk about disciplining players as if there is a right way to do it. Miles takes the psychological approach. You don't like that, so should he yell at them coddle them, or...what? My favorite part is about letting guys some room to grow and make mistakes in games.  Are you willing to sacrifice wins?

What you said wasn't so  much an opinion as it was series of backhanded shots at Miles. 

Watson/Taylor

Nana/Palmer/Gill

Copeland/McVeigh

Morrow/Roby

Jordy/Jacobson 

I was never high on Horne.  Streaky shooter, bad defender, out of shape, attitude problems in practice, passive agressive mom/son posts on twitter.  Best of luck kid.

I don't really get the shooter argument either.  Horne has offensive skill, but he wasn't an assassin out there.  We have better scorers coming in.  

I'm not even remotely disappointed.  I was disappointed that Jeriah came in overweight when a solid month of strict diet and weights could've put him in a comfortable "3" body.  

I think the team got better today.  That's not really a knock on Horne because I think he'll end up being a contributor somewhere depending on his health.  We just really have a lot of talent in the 11 listed above.  Was he really significantly any better than Fuller last season?  

I'd be pissed if we lose any of the remaining players.  It's a hell of a roster on paper.  

15 minutes ago, LK1 said:

Watson/Taylor

Nana/Palmer/Gill

Copeland/McVeigh

Morrow/Roby

Jordy/Jacobson 

I was never high on Horne.  Streaky shooter, bad defender, out of shape, attitude problems in practice, passive agressive mom/son posts on twitter.  Best of luck kid.

I don't really get the shooter argument either.  Horne has offensive skill, but he wasn't an assassin out there.  We have better scorers coming in.  

I'm not even remotely disappointed.  I was disappointed that Jeriah came in overweight when a solid month of strict diet and weights could've put him in a comfortable "3" body.  

I think the team got better today.  That's not really a knock on Horne because I think he'll end up being a contributor somewhere depending on his health.  We just really have a lot of talent in the 11 listed above.  Was he really significantly any better than Fuller last season?  

I'd be pissed if we lose any of the remaining players.  It's a hell of a roster on paper.  

I concur.

I don't think losing Horne is a make or break deal for us.   But I don't think it is a good thing.  

While his percentages weren't good (relative), I never felt he was a bad shooter.   Weird way to say it, but I never felt bad about him taking a shot.   Where as I didn't feel that way about others.   Similar to Glynn his freshman year.

Much has been made about his body and defense.   While it is true that he was not a good defender, we also have upperclassmen that the same can be said about.  Give me a skilled offensive guy over defender any day.   You can teach a guy to play defense.   Especially when the guy has to reshape and transform himself.   Let's keep in mind, he's not a wing or at least has never really played it before.   We recruited him with that body type.   There were going to be growing pains with him in adjusting to a different style/position.

I certainly think we can replace him.  I also think he's a guy with some skills.   And we don't have enough of them.   On the surface right now, it doesn't appear we need him...but one unexpected transfer and/or set back on Copeland's back injury suddenly makes him a need again.   Long story short....I'd just assume have him as not.   Odds are, we aren't replacing him with someone better this offseason.

I wish him luck and hope like heck we can find someone to replace him.

6 hours ago, Ron Mexico said:

I enjoy the cheap shots at Miles in your first paragraph. Way to start things off. Horne, for whatever reason, and as of now none of us know what why, he wanted to tranfer and had his mind made up prior to meeting with the coaching staff? Not sure what TM could have done differently.

In your second paragraph more shots at Miles. You back off from bagging on his roster management when you realize how difficult it is and then take another shot his roster management. No team in the country has perfect roster or even a close to perfect roster. Wing players seem to be generally more abundant. 

You have lots of concerns....and they would be? I would not have felt better if McVeigh had left. I like the double talk about disciplining players as if there is a right way to do it. Miles takes the psychological approach. You don't like that, so should he yell at them coddle them, or...what? My favorite part is about letting guys some room to grow and make mistakes in games.  Are you willing to sacrifice wins?

What you said wasn't so  much an opinion as it was series of backhanded shots at Miles.

I definitely am disappointed we didn't go another direction with a different coach, but also can see why we kept Miles as he has improved the talent on paper. As far as your analysis of what I said, I don't really care. I suppose I'm taking "shots" at Miles, but my expression of how it's also understandable why he's had struggles with roster management is more so to lighten the "criticism." Yes, this is all just my opinion and I don't expect everyone to agree with it.

My concerns:

- We have had a lot of people, coaches included, not want to stick around here.
- Miles has especially struck out when it comes to recruiting high school kids.
- We are severely lacking in guards currently and shooting in general. Previously the problem was big men.

- Defense, Miles' calling card until recently, has become worse and worse despite hiring a defensive-minded assistant.

- I personally don't see a lot of buy in and trust in Miles as the coach (yes this is my opinion) when I observe the team.
- There seems to be little to no overall offensive game plan other than to run motion over and over and call a set play here and there.

I personally think a good teacher and coach uses different techniques to motivate different people. But yes, Miles has his right to coach as he pleases and I have the right to have an opinion on that. All I can go on is what I hear and observe.

Edited by Husker4theSpurs

40 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Honestly... there is not anything that Horne did that we cannot at least replicate with a combo of 

Copeland/Palmer/Nana

Just saying.

I don't think there's anything special that he did that  just one of those players couldn't replicate.

That's no knock on Jeriah, he's a solid player and can be a major contributor at a big boy ball program but those other 3 guys are talented as well.

6 hours ago, Husker4theSpurs said:

Horne was a different player than I assumed coming in. I figured he was going to be an undersized 4 (like so many of our players) and not have a great outside shot. He was a much better shooter than I had figured (not that he was a consistently good shooter). I guess it concerns me a little that on a team that has a lack of people who can shoot and make an outside shot, we lose a kid that had some of those skills from fairly nearby. He probably currently isn't quick enough to guard as well as we need him to for the position he plays (this is a common problem for us too it seems). Horne looked like he could trim up a little bit and shave some baby weight with some time in the weight room so maybe he could've improved his quickness and lateral movement?

Anyhow, this also leads me to feel like we don't have a lot of good long-term roster planning going on when you have SO many guys who seemingly play a similar position. I know at some point you just have to search for talent, period ... also, I know it's hard to know who is going to stick around and pan out and whatnot, so that makes it more difficult too. Still, the vision and direction for the program has been lacking imho. Miles relied on transfers a bit much early on (and took some chances on some attitudes) and it kind of paid off, but I'm not sure that was a good long-term choice. Again, kind of the name of the game these days though.

I have lots of concerns going forward and to be honest I probably would've felt better about McVeigh leaving than Horne. Yes, I think Miles needs to discipline guys and make sure they're working hard in practice, but sometimes I fear there are a lot of mind games that go on and you just need to give guys some room to make mistakes and grow on the court. While Tai played lots of minutes his whole career I personally believe Miles played a lot of head games with him. Miles seems to get credit for "developing" Tai because of this year, but I think more of the truth is that he had to let the reins loose a bit as we were so thin and Tai was just allowed to do his thing a bit and gain some confidence because he didn't fear making mistakes so much. Again, just my opinion and I know that's likely not to be popular with everyone here.

Do you have any evidence of "mind games" or is just a hunch? Do you have any idea about what went on in the off-season to develope Tai as a player? I know boards like this are for people's opinions and speculation but reality should matter (at least in sports if not in politics). There just seems to be a lot of people (you on the other hand stated yours as  an opinion from the beginning) ) that state an opinion and then go forward acting as if it is cannon law. 

21 minutes ago, Dean Smith said:

Do you have any evidence of "mind games" or is just a hunch? Do you have any idea about what went on in the off-season to develope Tai as a player? I know boards like this are for people's opinions and speculation but reality should matter (at least in sports if not in politics). There just seems to be a lot of people (you on the other hand stated yours as  an opinion from the beginning) ) that state an opinion and then go forward acting as if it is cannon law. 

Don't eat what the trolls try to feed you. It will only turn you into their lunch. See movie "Troll 2". 

I love at the "cannon law" reference. 

2 hours ago, Husker4theSpurs said:

I definitely am disappointed we didn't go another direction with a different coach, but also can see why we kept Miles as he has improved the talent on paper. As far as your analysis of what I said, I don't really care. I suppose I'm taking "shots" at Miles, but my expression of how it's also understandable why he's had struggles with roster management is more so to lighten the "criticism." Yes, this is all just my opinion and I don't expect everyone to agree with it.

My concerns:

- We are severely lacking in guards currently and shooting in general. Previously the problem was big men.

- Defense, Miles' calling card until recently, has become worse and worse despite hiring a defensive-minded assistant.

- I personally don't see a lot of buy in and trust in Miles as the coach (yes this is my opinion) when I observe the team.
- There seems to be little to no overall offensive game plan other than to run motion over and over and call a set play here and there.

I personally think a good teacher and coach uses different techniques to motivate different people. But yes, Miles has his right to coach as he please and I have the right to have an opinion on that. All I can go on is what I hear and observe.

Shields (solid.  T-5th all time in scoring)

Parker (role player)

Vucetic (not very good.  Reach)

1/3 contributing is probably about the national average.

Webster (2nd team All Big 10 his senior year)

Fuller (role player)

Hawkins (has not turned into the player we thought)

Another 1/3

T Smith (pretty solid year for Duquense.)

Hammond (recruited for size.  Couldn't find his way on the court)

Bad year.  0/2

Evelyn (transferred after 1 year.  Reach)

Watson (solid contributions in his 1st 2 years)

Morrow (injuries, but solid contributions in 1st 2 years)

Jacobson (role player)

McVeigh (role player)

2/5 will probably be solid players

Roby (limited time as a freshmen.  Poised to have a solid career)

Jordy (showed flashes.  Could be one of the better high schoolers, Miles recruited)

Horne (showed flashes.  Wish he would have stayed)

Jury still out.  Hopefully finish with 2/3 solid players.

4/13 turned into really good players.

4/13 turned into role players.

5/13 transferred

I don't have time or energy to go through every school, but I'm going to guess most schools like us, would show similar results with regards to high school players.

1 hour ago, brfrad said:

Shields (solid.  T-5th all time in scoring)

Parker (role player)

Vucetic (not very good.  Reach)

1/3 contributing is probably about the national average.

Webster (2nd team All Big 10 his senior year)

Fuller (role player)

Hawkins (has not turned into the player we thought)

Another 1/3

T Smith (pretty solid year for Duquense.)

Hammond (recruited for size.  Couldn't find his way on the court)

Bad year.  0/2

Evelyn (transferred after 1 year.  Reach)

Watson (solid contributions in his 1st 2 years)

Morrow (injuries, but solid contributions in 1st 2 years)

Jacobson (role player)

McVeigh (role player)

2/5 will probably be solid players

Roby (limited time as a freshmen.  Poised to have a solid career)

Jordy (showed flashes.  Could be one of the better high schoolers, Miles recruited)

Horne (showed flashes.  Wish he would have stayed)

Jury still out.  Hopefully finish with 2/3 solid players.

4/13 turned into really good players.

4/13 turned into role players.

5/13 transferred

I don't have time or energy to go through every school, but I'm going to guess most schools like us, would show similar results with regards to high school players.

Miles did not recruit Shields or Parker. They were signed up when he got here.

3 hours ago, Husker4theSpurs said:

My concerns:

I personally think a good teacher and coach uses different techniques to motivate different people. But yes, Miles has his right to coach as he please and I have the right to have an opinion on that. All I can go on is what I hear and observe.

The biggest knock on Collier and Sadler was their inability to recruit. When it comes to Nebraska Basketball I'm willing to suffer a few losing seasons while we upgrade talent and real depth. 

- The coaches where either fired, in the case of Nee, and Sadler or got out of the coaching business all together. Nebraska has become a coaching grave yard. We tend to give a coach about 6yrs. Can't blame other people such as assistants or players for leaving. Who wants to stick around a losing program.

- On my list of concerns for TM, recruiting isn't one of them. TM has proven success with transfers. Frankly we are not in a position where we can be that picky.

- We could use combo guard or pg with one of the 2 open scholarships. I agree that our shooting has been horrible. The STATS bear that out.

- This season our defense was horrible. I believe he will get that fixed.

- Losing a lot gives off the appearance of lack of buy in, locker room troubles, etc. There is also a psychological component when it comes to fans who want a coach fired. It makes it easier to fire a coach when you perceive a personality fall. It is easier to feel good about firing a coach when a person perceives a personality flaw in that coach. The personality flaw against Doc was that he was a yeller. 

- Motion offense is run by a lot of teams. We are just poor at executing it. Shots are there we just aren't hitting them.

I hear it all the time that a coach is to rigid, won't change his ways. Of course when coach uses different techniques and he isn't successful it is said he lacks consistency.

You have your opinion and I have mine. I believe that we are doomed for failure if we continue to fire coaches every 6yrs. At some point we have to establish some stability. The problem is that once fans make up their mind about a coach or player they will stick to that believe. Every loss is looked at with a microscope. It seems that a portion of the fan base isn't happy unless they are talking about firing coaches. They make snap judgements early on and then look for, or even make up, reasons to validate their opinion. I'm sick of the coaching carousel. Miles is recruiting well and I am willing to ride this out for a few more years if necessary although I know that TM doesn't have a few more years. 

4 hours ago, nustudent said:

I don't think losing Horne is a make or break deal for us.   But I don't think it is a good thing.  

While his percentages weren't good (relative), I never felt he was a bad shooter.   Weird way to say it, but I never felt bad about him taking a shot.   Where as I didn't feel that way about others.   Similar to Glynn his freshman year.

Much has been made about his body and defense.   While it is true that he was not a good defender, we also have upperclassmen that the same can be said about.  Give me a skilled offensive guy over defender any day.   You can teach a guy to play defense.   Especially when the guy has to reshape and transform himself.   Let's keep in mind, he's not a wing or at least has never really played it before.   We recruited him with that body type.   There were going to be growing pains with him in adjusting to a different style/position.

I certainly think we can replace him.  I also think he's a guy with some skills.   And we don't have enough of them.   On the surface right now, it doesn't appear we need him...but one unexpected transfer and/or set back on Copeland's back injury suddenly makes him a need again.   Long story short....I'd just assume have him as not.   Odds are, we aren't replacing him with someone better this offseason.

I wish him luck and hope like heck we can find someone to replace him.

You can teach defense to a certain degree but like rebounding, it's a mindset. You have to want to be a good defender. I don't know how much Jeriah wanted to be a good defender at this time. I'm sure his ego was pumped so much the last few years about his offensive talent that that became his identity. Coach Lewis tells a good story about when he went to Indiana and how his identity changed. He scores over 2000 points in his high school career and is one of the top scorers in the history of Indiana HS hoops. And Knight told him he had guys that could score. He needed him to do other things. 

2 minutes ago, swmckewon said:

Miles did not recruit Shields or Parker. They were signed up when he got here.

Does that change the point he was trying to make.

Go ahead Sam and get busy writing your coaches on the hot seat articles. Fan those flames of the "greatest fans in 'merica".

I know that you are sad he didn't get fired this year as fired coaches and the subsequent coaching search sells newspapers and generates clicks.

Just now, hskr4life said:

Did he not have to re-recruit them here after Doc was fired.  I mean they could have asked for a release and gone elsewhere correct?

And Miles probably would have preferred that with Parker.

Didn't he basically tell Benny to transfer after his freshman year?

3 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

Does that change the point he was trying to make.

Go ahead Sam and get busy writing your coaches on the hot seat articles. Fan those flames of the "greatest fans in 'merica".

I know that you are sad he didn't get fired this year as fired coaches and the subsequent coaching search sells newspapers and generates clicks.

Sam loves a chance to show others they are wrong....