2024 Portal Watch

On 3/14/2024 at 3:08 PM, Huskerpapa said:

He played with Josiah at Northstar, and I will go to my death bed advocating that Josiah, not Donovan, was the best player on that team.

Friday would be a perfect opportunity to show the nation that CWS was right all along. I hope he plays a big role in NU walkin' outta FedEx with a B1G dub!!! GBR!!!

38 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

A shot-blocker would be amazing, though, no?!

Yeah it would. I think/hope “Culture fit” will be the first thing on the checklist when evaluating any portal player. Cliff would fit better with Hoiberg’s first few teams than these last two. 

William Kyle and his 7’3” wingspan could protect the rim pretty well. He’s got a conference DPOY under his belt now. And he checks the culture fit box for sure. We’ll see if he enters the portal. 

5 minutes ago, busticket said:

From a basketball perspective I would love to have him slot into Josiah’s spot.  Millerhusker’s comments give me pause, though.  Culture ABSOLUTELY has to come first.

William Kyle has two years of eligibility left. He would probably accept the role-player kind of understudy role. I don't see Cliff being willing to play 2nd fiddle to Rienk Mast. And Mast does more of what we need.

I wish to heck that Stanford big man was coming out NEXT YEAR though. Boy, he checks all the boxes.

15 minutes ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

Nebraska has contacted him, as well as 20 some other schools.

Don’t know why he would come here when we have Mast returning and other schools offering him big NIL plus starting job 

1 hour ago, thrasher31 said:

So far, these are the guys that have been contacted by us. 

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/tarris-reed-jr-1.html

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/frankie-fidler-1.html

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/koren-johnson-1.html

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/jalen-leach-1.html (hasn't been confirmed but Howard is following)

In a vacuum, I like all these as they fill holes. 

In my opinion, who we truly go after will depend on who leaves, right?  

I am also of the opinion, that we actually land players that, at first, seems to be a surprise.   It's as if we float names, and then land a player that went unnamed.

This should be another interesting offseason. 

50 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

I am also of the opinion, that we actually land players that, at first, seems to be a surprise.   It's as if we float names, and then land a player that went unnamed.

Certainly, but if everyone is back I think we can be a little picky with who we go after.

2 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

They have one open scholly at the moment, so yeah. Naturally it'd depend on who leaves. 

And yeah, as far as players that are typically unnamed but come out of nowhere that's pretty accurate. Gary is an example of that, as is Coleman or Mast. 

It's probably one of the more interesting off-seasons in Fred's tenure, as they have an established formula that works, but still have holes. Building on the culture while filling those holes is going to be interesting. And who ends up leaving, as they only have 1 open scholly at the moment. 

From a current player on the team:

** Coach will meet with everyone to discuss the season, off season workout plans, and their future role starting this Tuesday. **

My guess is these meetings will wrap up by Wednesday or Thursday and that will give Coach and the staff a solid game plan to know what pieces they need to prioritize. Coach has historically let the players release their own statements regarding staying/leaving - so my guess is they will come out as the players see fit.