Wilcher

Most of this has been focused on his offense (which has been great, to be sure), but I feel like his defense has also improved since last year. He feels like a lot less of a liability out there. He's got a big enough body to really fit in well with the scheme and has been part of some of the runs where we've clamped down. Would be interested in other's thoughts on this as I know a lot of you see way more of what's happening than I do.

Now we just need Eli Rice to take a page out of that playbook and earn himself some more minutes.

Have a couple friends who still don't like CJ. And I too was 1 who wasn't a fan of his coming into this season. And looking back my disappointment was the flashes were there, just not the performance. This year he's brought a consistent offensive game along with better effort on defense. Nice to have he and Allick providing punch off the bench. Really enjoyed watching he and Reink sharing their exuberance. Think this team realizes that winning is fun but also know and enjoy when a teammate is "in the zone".

1 hour ago, NoladrianSephier said:

Most of this has been focused on his offense (which has been great, to be sure), but I feel like his defense has also improved since last year. He feels like a lot less of a liability out there. He's got a big enough body to really fit in well with the scheme and has been part of some of the runs where we've clamped down. Would be interested in other's thoughts on this as I know a lot of you see way more of what's happening than I do.

Now we just need Eli Rice to take a page out of that playbook and earn himself some more minutes.

Absolutely.  I think the kid has lost about 30lbs over the last two seasons.  That's serious dedication with a body type like CJ.  Hard work paying off on both ends.  He's finishing way better at the hoop as well with just a little more elevation.  A little more bounce from outside.  But defense is where he's really become a complete D1 player.  

I still don't love CJ in general, but he's earned some respect from me. His defense still has improved but like many on our team lacks athleticism for his position. If he makes shots, he's good. If he doesn't he tends to let that affect the rest of his play ... but this has improved this year FOR CERTAIN. So kudos to him for that.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

He doesn't have close to enough FT attempts to qualify but currently WIlcher's FT% of 93.93% is better than Jack Moore's school best 93.89%

Part of the success this season is a stat that hasn't been discussed much:  team FT percentage.  I think it currently is almost 76%.  That's far and away better than the past few years which hovered in the mid 60s.  In general, in games that have still been up for grabs, the Huskers have made FTs.  That wasn't true in the past.  Props to Wilcher for leading the way.

7 hours ago, NUtball said:

Part of the success this season is a stat that hasn't been discussed much:  team FT percentage.  I think it currently is almost 76%.  That's far and away better than the past few years which hovered in the mid 60s.  In general, in games that have still been up for grabs, the Huskers have made FTs.  That wasn't true in the past.  Props to Wilcher for leading the way.

It's Wilcher, Keisei, Brice, & Mast all leading the way. Impressive display of excellent free-throw shooters, especially at crunch time, on this 2023-24 Nebrasketball squad. 👍

Wilcher 31-33 = 93.9%

Keisei 64-72 = 88.9%

Brice 92-109 = 84.4%

Mast 50-60 = 83.3%

14 hours ago, NUtball said:

Free throws tend to be discussed, like with refs, when things go bad. 

We're easily going to be one of the top 10 free throw making teams in Nebraska history with a chance to be number one.

• 3 weeks later...

He gave it his all here, and stuck with us for three years.  Wish he could stay one more, but I'm sure he'd like to land at a place where he could potentially start.  Good luck Three-Jay, thanks for the memories.  May every game you play next year be Wisconsin-esque. 

Unless of you transfer to Wisconsin.  😜

Edited by hal9000

3 hours ago, cozrulz said:

Kind of surprised he doesn't test the waters in Europe.  Maybe he has plans to get a graduate degree then?  Or just wants a lot more minutes?

Once upon a time it might have been Europe but not I think you're getting paid just as well to stay in college

A week ago, we had one more spot open. One more senior exhausting eligibility than signed recruits. Now, we have five more spots to fill.

As long as we keep Mast, Gary, Williams, Lawrence and Sam H., I think we'll have a pretty solid nucleus that we can build around.

So far, nothing has been like a gut punch losing a guy I really hoped we would keep. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

Wilcher, you were usually good for a few great nights and some really good nights. Your free-throw shooting in 2023-24 was elite, Steph Curryesque.

In fact, Nebrasketball had 4 dudes who shot lights out from the stripe:

C.J. Wilcher 31 for 33 = 93.9%

Keisei Tominaga 70 for 80 = 87.5%

Brice Williams 119 for 141 = 84.4%

Rienk Mast 57 for 68 = 83.8%

And, as a team, NU made 500 (of 658) = 76.0%

Same consideration for 3FG%, a bunch of guys did fairly well overall:

C.J. Wilcher 50 for 127 = 39.4%

Brice Willliams 50 for 129 = 38.8%

Keisei Tominaga 76 for 202 = 37.6%

Eli Rice (1/2) 10 for 27 = 37.0%

Josiah Allick 8 for 22 = 36.4%

Jamarques Lawrence 36 for 101 = 35.6% -- incl. finishing the season 16 for 26 = 61.5% (and he also improved his overall FG% to 42.0% after hovering in mid-30s.)

Rienk Mast 42 for 122 = 34.4%

Sam Hoiberg 15 for 49 = 30.61%

Juwan Gary 26 for 85 = 30.59%

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

A week ago, we had one more spot open. One more senior exhausting eligibility than signed recruits. Now, we have five more spots to fill.

As long as we keep Mast, Gary, Williams, Lawrence and Sam H., I think we'll have a pretty solid nucleus that we can build around.

So far, nothing has been like a gut punch losing a guy I really hoped we would keep. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

You could Start those Five you mentioned Norm & finish in the Top Half of the New B1G. I would obviously expect more than one Splash signing of our own. Fred has Leverage on his side for a change & lots to offer. 

4 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

I hope we keep Uhlis also 

7 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

The only true rotation pieces for next year they lost were CJ and potentially rice. Neither of those are back breakers though, so they still have the nucleus of next year's rotation in tact, and can build/add to it. 

8 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

Wilcher, you were usually good for a few great nights and some really good nights. Your free-throw shooting in 2023-24 was elite, Steph Curryesque.

In fact, Nebrasketball had 4 dudes who shot lights out from the stripe:

C.J. Wilcher 31 for 33 = 93.9%

Keisei Tominaga 70 for 80 = 87.5%

Brice Williams 119 for 141 = 84.4%

Rienk Mast 57 for 68 = 83.8%

And, as a team, NU made 500 (of 658) = 76.0%

Same consideration for 3FG%, a bunch of guys did fairly well overall:

C.J. Wilcher 50 for 127 = 39.4%

Brice Willliams 50 for 129 = 38.8%

Keisei Tominaga 76 for 202 = 37.6%

Eli Rice (1/2) 10 for 27 = 37.0%

Josiah Allick 8 for 22 = 36.4%

Jamarques Lawrence 36 for 101 = 35.6% -- incl. finishing the season 16 for 26 = 61.5% (and he also improved his overall FG% to 42.0% after hovering in mid-30s.)

Rienk Mast 42 for 122 = 34.4%

Sam Hoiberg 15 for 49 = 30.61%

Juwan Gary 26 for 85 = 30.59%

Two numbers stick out to me here…

Mast at the stripe and from downtown both have to be above average for guys who played mostly the 5 right?

Allick from deep surprised me a lot.  Really picked his moments later in the season and was shooting with some

confidence.

3 hours ago, thrasher31 said:

The only true rotation pieces for next year they lost were CJ and potentially rice. Neither of those are back breakers though, so they still have the nucleus of next year's rotation in tact, and can build/add to it. 

Ad those two are basically the same guy.