2024 Portal Watch

This type of transfer makes me stop and pause as we think about culture fit.  Someone who transferred to a team that was in the Top 25 for the majority of the season, started, and led the team
in scoring.  What else could he be looking for?

Randy moss can answer that

“STRAIGHT CASH HOMIE”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, jsthusker said:

Wait, I am confused.  Did or did we not just have a great season.  What gives? Which one of these kids are being shown the door, because Hoiberg thinks we can upgrade in talent, and which ones want more playing time?

Such is the Wild West in the Portal/NIL era.  When there’s no penalty to transfer, it makes it so much easier.  

We aren’t the only ones with this problem.  It’s just the new reality.

Edited by hskr4life

Sucks that guys are leaving but Diop is not much of a production loss, just a loss of future potential.

Bummed on J-law and Rice. I get it with Wilcher. The others are meh.

Curious who gets added if they still want to run an 8-9 guy rotation. A few spots might be filled with “project” guys.

38 minutes ago, jsthusker said:

Wait, I am confused.  Did or did we not just have a great season.  What gives? Which one of these kids are being shown the door, because Hoiberg thinks we can upgrade in talent, and which ones want more playing time?

There are reasonable explanations for why each of these guys entered. Mostly because of playing time.

I honestly think we’re a better team if we were to recruit over Wilcher anyways. He was too one dimensional, and that one dimension was also inconsistent.

Lawrence is very replaceable. Remember we were playing good ball even when he was bad for over half the season. Am I glad he’s leaving? No. His spark certainly improved the team, mostly because he was so bad before that. But he’s a dime a dozen imo.

I’m sad to lose Diop because I had high hopes for him. And I’ve stated before I don’t think Rice had much upside anyways. Just need to look at his list of portal suitors to see that.

The biggest bummer is losing so many guys can affect the locker room. But individually I don’t think we’ve lost anything critical. I’m not going to freak out unless any of the big three decide to leave, or if we fail to land any good portal options.

Edited by Cookie Miller Wasn't Dirty

Alabama is the future model.  

You’re gonna have to be a freak player to suit up for Fred as an underclassman moving forward, and if you are a bench player as a fr/so, you better develop and bust your ass because they’ll happily pay a better upperclassman transfer over you who already averaged 18ppg somewhere else.  

This is simply the coaches playing the same game the players have asked to play.  For programs on the up, NIL is a quick conduit to roster overhaul.  I don’t blame the kids or the coaches one bit.  This is just the way it goes now. 

We’ll have a scary 7-8 man rotation next year.  Probably the most talented team we’ve ever had coming off an NCAA tourney, great attendance, a fantastic coaching staff, and $$$.  That’s my bet anyway.  

Simply incapable of putting a positive spin on this...yet.  I suppose in a month or so when the additions are at or near an end, we may be able to look back and release a big old smile...until then, we still haven't heard from Cale, Sam, Henry, Grace, Reink, Juwan or Brice.

Heck, what about Nick and Braden?  Has any team in the country lost as many as we have?  What does our new AD think?  Heck, what does Fred think?  Fred?  Hello Fred, you still out there?

Good grief. 

Edited by Huskerpapa

19 hours ago, Silverbacked1 said:

Okay I am going there

BIG FLIPPING MIDDLE FINGER TO YOU JAMARCUS. I HOPE YOU GO SOME PLACE AND BLOW OUT BOTH ACL IN TWO DIFFERENT YEARS AND NEVER PLAY AGAIN. J AM TIRED IF THIS. 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

Of course if he is just doing an April Fool’s joke or decided to stay I will love him again. 🤨😎

You know I was saying this tongue in cheek. But you know after some things that have been going right now with the reasons guys have left different programs I think I will known it😎

Edited by Silverbacked1

19 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

Simply incapable of putting a positive spin on this...yet.  I suppose in a month or so when the additions are at or near an end, we may be able to look back and release a big old smile...until then, we still haven't heard from Cale, Sam, Henry, Grace, Reink, Juwan or Brice.

Heck, what about Nick and Braden?  Has any team in the country lost as many as we have?  What does our new AD think?  Heck, what does Fred think?  Fred?  Hello Fred, you still out there?

Good grief. 

What is Fred thinking? I would imagine something like this: 

When you have a close-knit group that accomplishes things that haven't been done here in a long time, it hurts personally to lose guys from that team, especially when they're choosing to leave with the option to come back. However, Ramel/Blaise/Matar literally lose us nothing on paper. They can all effectively be replaced by literally adding any 3 transfers with similar body types. Eli wants to play more minutes right now and had potential but was too slow and would not have been a starter here next year. CJ maxed out here and was also too slow and would not have been a starter here next year. Jamarques is the only one that frustrates me (Fred) but I understand because he wants to be a starter as a junior and I was probably honest with him that that is not guaranteed here because we believe Ulis (or another transfer) is our starting PG and Brice and Juwan are not coming off the bench.

Fred had individual meetings with every single player. If anything, these departures should tell you that Mast/Williams/Gary are back because all these guys clearly did not see a path for them to get the minutes they want (or think they deserve) this year. It also tells me Ulis might be better than people think. 

Edited by GhostOfJoeMcCray

2 hours ago, The Polish Rifle said:

So Hoiberg is headed to Champaign today. Dainja is the only Illinois player in the portal, but he is supposedly visiting Memphis today. Wonder if we got pushed aside or got a commitment elsewhere…

Looks like we're skipping the trip to Champaign. Either Dainja had better options in Memphis or we had good luck yesterday

1 hour ago, Minnesota_Husker said:

Sucks that guys are leaving but Diop is not much of a production loss, just a loss of future potential.

Bummed on J-law and Rice. I get it with Wilcher. The others are meh.

Curious who gets added if they still want to run an 8-9 guy rotation. A few spots might be filled with “project” guys.

I'll predict that we'll get better guys in the portal than those who left.

I'll predict that we'll get better guys in the portal than those who left.

That’s my thought. A lot of people are freaking out but honestly we lost mainly rotational guys. I like Seth and continuity but I think Hoiberg has discovered how to coach guys on the system.

Wait to see who comes in but no reason we can’t add 3-4 legit dudes and then fill out the roster with depth.

32 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

Good grief. 

We're on the heavy end but Rutgers had 7