2024 Portal Watch

3 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

Saw him in the Omaha bracket. He's got a lot of bounce. I'd take him in Lincoln, stat!

When I watched the 2OT Bellevue West - Creighton Prep game four years ago, I thought Luke Jurgens was better than William Kyle.

Needless to say, it's a good thing I am not a talent evaluator.

2 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

I have said this over and over again; talent is highly overrated IF high character and work ethic doesn't come with it.  Nebraskans insist on the latter two.

Alonzo Verge was much more athletic than Sam Griesel.   Who would you rather have on our team?

So I am definitely not discounting the need to become stronger, longer and more athletic.  But it has to be the right fit in order to make sure this program continues to move forward.

Agreed, but the talent deficit was particularly obvious in person in Memphis. Both A&M and Houston have a BUNCH of dudes....

33 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

I have said this over and over again; talent is highly overrated IF high character and work ethic doesn't come with it.  Nebraskans insist on the latter two.

Alonzo Verge was much more athletic than Sam Griesel.   Who would you rather have on our team?

So I am definitely not discounting the need to become stronger, longer and more athletic.  But it has to be the right fit in order to make sure this program continues to move forward.

This. I don’t want to be what Indiana or Rutgers was this year. Both teams much bigger, longer and more athletic than Nebraska. We’re in good shape. Just need a few pieces. A good combination of continuity and pieces to fill a couple voids but ones that fit into the established culture. Just like last offseason. 

14 minutes ago, millerhusker said:

This. I don’t want to be what Indiana or Rutgers was this year. Both teams much bigger, longer and more athletic than Nebraska. We’re in good shape. Just need a few pieces. A good combination of continuity and pieces to fill a couple voids but ones that fit into the established culture. Just like last offseason. 

Basically, I'd take a more athletic Tominaga type and another Allick type, keep the rest of our core, and I'd feel really good about a sweet 16 run!

6 minutes ago, jason2486 said:

Basically, I'd take a more athletic Tominaga type and another Allick type, keep the rest of our core, and I'd feel really good about a sweet 16 run!

It’s a guarantee that whoever replaces KT will be longer, stronger and more athletic. If CJ does indeed leave, the same could be said about that spot. It is imperative that we keep a certain level of basketball skill and IQ for Fred’s offense to work the way it should. Perusing other message boards this year, our offense was the envy of most big ten fan bases. 

8 minutes ago, millerhusker said:

It’s a guarantee that whoever replaces KT will be longer, stronger and more athletic. If CJ does indeed leave, the same could be said about that spot. It is imperative that we keep a certain level of basketball skill and IQ for Fred’s offense to work the way it should. Perusing other message boards this year, our offense was the envy of most big ten fan bases. 

Wonder how soon Nick Janowski will be ready for the SG spot?

3 minutes ago, arliepro said:

Wonder how soon Nick Janowski will be ready for the SG spot?

I’d guess he comes off the bench but would not surprise me if he’s in the rotation. 

His high school teammate now at Iowa State has had no issues adjusting to the high major level. 

55 minutes ago, millerhusker said:

Our offense still scored 80 some points against a pretty stout A&M team. Offense wasn't our problem. Getting the homing beacon off our opponents every shot was. 

3 hours ago, millerhusker said:

Agreed, no one's calling for a roster make-over. It's just obvious that NU needs a few DUDES. It can happen. I'm probably just as if not more concerned that guys like Rienk and Brice come back for their final year of eligibility. NU will be fine, in time. I have no doubt that Hoiberg & Co. will figure it out like they have for the past 2 off-seasons. GBR Always.

1 hour ago, tcp said:

Our offense still scored 80 some points against a pretty stout A&M team. Offense wasn't our problem. Getting the homing beacon off our opponents every shot was. 

Well, starting 5-5 on threes, then proceeding to not hit the broad side of a barn was an issue, including 2 massive stuffed shots from the land of plenty... NU went 2 for 17 after that sparkling 5-5. So, offense in the flow of a game is a concern, because DEFENSIVE stops needed to occur in order to make it a real contest. Add into that NU made 22 for 24 on FTs, and that 83 points isn't as impressive, as oh say, NINETY-EIGHT (in back-to-back games) for the opponent. Sheesh, that was tough to watch A&M just attack with little shot-blocking or defensive rebounding... athleticism needs to be better on the boards, at minimum. Jo Allick did what he could, but A&M had 4-5 guys even more athletic than him. It's a dicey conundrum for Hoiberg, improve athleticism while maintaining elite shot-making and elite IQ. He'll figure it out, I have no doubt. GBR Always.