2024 Portal Watch

3 hours ago, roscoe said:

Hurt us in 1st meeting with 15 & 5 in 23 minutes as starter and seemed like all those rebounds were on offensive end. 80+ days later he scores 2 points playing 8 minutes off the bench. Wonder what happened? He shot 60.9% from field, 40.6 from 3 (13-32 so small sample size and shot 73% fts. This worth kicking the tires on?

What happened was we had a game plan for the talented lefty that was working great but rolled his ankle and they went with a smaller lineup that we couldn’t defend well or rebound well against as we couldn’t keep anyone I. Front of us like our undoing down the stretch.  He doesn’t roll ankle we win that game.  

10 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

Sort of interesting that Frankie qas taking his unofficial visit to Lincoln today and Fred is out of town.  Perhaps their paths crossed at some point.

Frankie’s visit is tomorrow: “A source confirmed to HuskerOnline that Fidler has locked in an unofficial visit to Lincoln on Thursday.”

54 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

Sort of interesting that Frankie qas taking his unofficial visit to Lincoln today and Fred is out of town.  Perhaps their paths crossed at some point.

Thought it’s tomorrow.

Nvm I see it was already answered for ya. 

Edited by ShortDust

51 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

I wonder how tough it is to recruit the portal when your not necessarily looking for a starter, sure PF or SG/PG may be open but how hard is it to pitch a big or small forward to transfer in to come off the bench? 

You pitch competition, no one has a for sure starting spot locked up.

8 hours ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

I wonder how tough it is to recruit the portal when your not necessarily looking for a starter, sure PF or SG/PG may be open but how hard is it to pitch a big or small forward to transfer in to come off the bench? 

Every position is always up for competition. 

8 hours ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

Like others have said, competition. But I wouldn't be shocked if they look at a guy or two that didn't workout at their previous stop after one year similar to CJ Wilcher. No clue on who that would include, but a 3 year guy that can develop over those 3 years makes sense. 

9 hours ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

This is my concern about replacing Rice and Wilcher.

It's not that their talent is irreplaceable, but most transfers aren't coming in to be rotational players, especially talented transfers.

23 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Tarris Reed, Mich

Frankie Fidler, Omaha

Koren Johnson, Wash

William Kyle, SDS

JP Pegues, Furman

Tony Perkins, Iowa

OUT:

Keisei

Allick

Boogie

Ramel*

Eli*

Blaise*

CJ*

IN:

Janowski

Frager

I'm sure we've reached out to more than what's quoted above, but that's all I saw with a twitter search of "Nebraska portal." Ideally, I'd like to see us bring in freshmen and develop them over the course of their careers. In the era of NIL deals and the transfer portal, that appears to be an aspirational goal that isn't very realistic.

So, the second choice would be to grab a kid who's got at least 2 years of eligibility left and has demonstrated some development already. Problem with that is that competition for those guys is pretty stiff. Transfers with one year seem plentiful but our success rate with them hasn't been great. And, finally, Jucos are still a possibility but they've also been more miss than hit for us.

We've got a lot of spots to fill, though, so I'm sure the coaches are getting after it.

* = portal departure

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

We are in a significantly better place in terms of landing guys out of the transfer portal than we were last season. Hopefully that means we are able to land an even better group.

TBH I would be real happy if we could equal the group we landed in last year's cycle.

22 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

OUT:

Keisei

Allick

Boogie

Ramel*

Eli*

Blaise*

CJ*

IN:

Janowski

Frager

I'm sure we've reached out to more than what's quoted above, but that's all I saw with a twitter search of "Nebraska portal." Ideally, I'd like to see us bring in freshmen and develop them over the course of their careers. In the era of NIL deals and the transfer portal, that appears to be an aspirational goal that isn't very realistic.

So, the second choice would be to grab a kid who's got at least 2 years of eligibility left and has demonstrated some development already. Problem with that is that competition for those guys is pretty stiff. Transfers with one year seem plentiful but our success rate with them hasn't been great. And, finally, Jucos are still a possibility but they've also been more miss than hit for us.

We've got a lot of spots to fill, though, so I'm sure the coaches are getting after it.

* = portal departure

I believe we've reached out to Sean Pedulla