NCAA Tournament Watch

The committee’s top 16 seeds are out. Purdue has an incredible resume. They beat a 1 seed (Arizona) on a neutral court. Beat two 2 seeds (Marquette and Tennessee) on neutral courts. Beat a 3 seed (Alabama) on a neutral court. And two 4 seeds (Illinois and Wisconsin) in conference play. Also beat Gonzaga and Xavier on neutral courts. Two losses on the year. One to northwestern in overtime. Then, on Jan. 9 they got handled by Nebraska in a 16 point loss. 

55 minutes ago, 49r said:

it didn't happen but on the flip side we are now only one game back of Wisconsin in the standings

How does the tiebreaker work?  I was just looking and the Huskers are within striking distance of #3 in the league.

1 hour ago, 49r said:

Wisco/Iowa is a definite root for the meteor situation for sure.

Was talking to guy in bar after Husker game and we were discussing who we wanted to win in Wisc/Io_a game. He agreed with my assesesment of hoping for said meteor to hit Carver/Hawkeye, minus Chucky. 

2 hours ago, cozrulz said:

How does the tiebreaker work?  I was just looking and the Huskers are within striking distance of #3 in the league.

If the Big 10 tournament generator is accurate,  the only tiebreaker we lose is a head to head loss.  Our Purdue win would trump all else.

I think I'm okay with Michigan beating MSU at this point in time. It would bring NU back to a tie for 4th, with NU holding that tiebreaker with MSU. And, currently, only 1/2 game back of NW (*pending Indiana game 2/18*) & a full game of Wisky. Being top 3 isn't out of the question if our Huskers keep winning, and then winning some more. GBR

Edited by AuroranHusker

37 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

I think I'm okay with Michigan beating MSU at this point in time. It would bring NU back to a tie for 4th, with NU holding that tiebreaker with MSU. And, currently, only 1/2 game back of NW (*pending Indiana game 2/18*) & a full game of Wisky. Being top 3 isn't out of the question if our Huskers keep winning, and then winning some more. GBR

That Mich. lead was short-lived, it's now MSU 71-63 with 3:25 left. Oh well, I don't mind seeing Juwan Howard go down once again. If they have less than 10 wins this year, that's totally fine.

10 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

That Mich. lead was short-lived, it's now MSU 71-63 with 3:25 left. Oh well, I don't mind seeing Juwan Howard go down once again. If they have less than 10 wins this year, that's totally fine.

Didn’t watch but it ended 73-63. That’s a brutal last 3:25.

I recorded the selection committee's top 16 seed reveal and watched this morning. Wisconsin's inclusion as 4 seed once again showed that:

1. Bids aren't decided on the basis of NET. Wisconsin got a 4 seed with a 20 NET, while 9 NET BYU and 14 NET St. Mary's weren't in the top 16, or among the 3 mentioned as just missing. So neither was among the top 19 seeds. The NET is used to sort and compare teams' wins and losses.

2. All games are evaluated the same, regardless of when they occur, so Wisky's recent woes didn't matter. They had accumulated enough wins before that. (The loss to Iowa later in the day probably would have dropped them out of the top 16, though.) The committee chair specifically addressed that.

CBS bracketologist Jerry Palm had us last 4 in and reference our lack of road wins. Colorado, also one of the last 4 in, won at USC last night, for whatever that's worth.

NET has already refreshed post-Sunday games. Interestingly, we passed Utah despite them winning on the road at UCLA. So we’re at 49 now.

Ohio State is up to 64 (from 72). That makes it much more likely our games against them will end up Q1 and Q2, which is nice. Especially if we beat them again.

And now Minnesota has a great opportunity to do the same. They’re up to 77 (from 82). If they reach 75 I don’t love that our road loss would turn into Q1, but it would be big if we beat them in Lincoln for a Q2 win.

1 hour ago, HuskerActuary said:

I've heard you say this a couple of times, but I don't understand what you are getting at. How is it better for a loss to be Q2 than Q1?

I think the committee puts more focus on Q1 record than Q2 because as a bubble team you’ll be playing Q1 games in the tourney. It’s probably not a huge deal, but the optics of Q1 Q2 records of 3-7, 3-1 look slightly worse than 3-5, 3-3 IMO.

I’d say for teams we play both home and away, the tradeoff of bumping up a home win from Q3 to Q2 is worth it. So Minnesota getting into the top 75 could be a net positive.