NCAA Tournament Watch

Kansas State beating Iowa State was a nice way to end the year.  Should move our victory against them back to Quad 1.

All the media were so quick to downplay our road win a few weeks ago, but Kansas State beat THREE teams that were ranked in the top ten on that floor (#9 Baylor, #4 Kansas, #6 Iowa State) plus #25 BYU.

One of our non-con opponents that gave us as much trouble as almost anyone is eliminated from its conference tourney, but I'll allow it, as I think our resume can take this hit.

Always have had a soft spot for the Mavs. Hope they get 2 more wins and join us in the big dance. Additionally, the Summit's #2 seed got upset, so, as the #6 seed, UNO gets a softer semifinal than they expected.

30 minutes ago, throwback said:

One of our non-con opponents that gave us as much trouble as almost anyone is eliminated from its conference tourney, but I'll allow it, as I think our resume can take this hit.

Always have had a soft spot for the Mavs. Hope they get 2 more wins and join us in the big dance. Additionally, the Summit's #2 seed got upset, so, as the #6 seed, UNO gets a softer semifinal than they expected.

As a Mav-Sker with multiple degrees from UNO-and-UNL, I resoundingly approve of this message, Throwback. Go Nebraska Div. 1 for a trifecta like they all did last Dec. in Volleyball, let's do it again in Men's Hoops and 2/3rd of Women's Hoops as well.

46 minutes ago, millerhusker said:

SOR is up to #23. Bracketologists are rarely accurate. Not sure why they don’t just follow the metrics like the committee does. I’m pretty sure if the season ended today we’d be a 7 seed at the lowest. 

I think we’d be punished a little for our bad non con SOS.  However, a 7 as it stands today isn’t out of the question.  I wouldn’t be surprised for anything from 7-9 currently.  Metrics overall…

SOR- 23

KPI- 27

BPI- 38

Pom- 32

NET- 37

Resume avgs out to 25 = Top 7 seed

Predictive avgs out to 35 = Last 8 seed 

NET = 9 seed.

If we could get our predictives up a little bit, a 7 seed would be a lock I’d think.

1 hour ago, millerhusker said:

SOR is up to #23. Bracketologists are rarely accurate. Not sure why they don’t just follow the metrics like the committee does. I’m pretty sure if the season ended today we’d be a 7 seed at the lowest. 

Occasionally they're off by a line or two but as a group they're quite accurate 

http://bracketmatrix.com/matrix_2023.html

3 minutes ago, millerhusker said:

8.96 average. Might bump up to an 8 seed when the rest of them update their brackets. 

It appears that most of them have been updated through Sunday.  I get how people like the Indiana matchup but in terms of conference tournament wins being meaningful for our seeding, getting Wisconsin would have been better.

Obviously we're trying to get to a 7 seed or higher for the chance to play in Omaha.  Being a higher 8/9 seed is important if we value not being in Brooklyn as opposed to Memphis/Charlotte. (Maybe this doesn't matter to some/most). Staying ahead/jumping ahead of Northwestern or maybe even Michigan St as possible 8/9 seeds matters for this. 

Not sure if this is the place to put this  but was curious so looked up our seeding in each of our NCAA tournament appearances and thought I would share:

Seed    Opponent
1986    9       Western Kentucky
1991    3       Xavier
1992    8       Connecticut
1993    10    New Mexico State
1994    6      Penn
1998    11     Arkansas
2014    11     Baylor

So only been the higher seeded team 3 of the seven times - and probably only a clear favorite in 1991 and 1994.    Other interesting thing I noticed was that until Baylor in 2014 all of the teams that we lost to got beat in the next round.   Baylor beating Creighton made them the first team to beat us in the tourney and go on to make the Sweet 16.    (Of course we also have never played a top 4 seed in the first round that would be favored to make the Sweet 16).

Did You Know?

Every team to win the national championship in the KenPom era has two main criteria that they meet…

Top 40 in Adj O Efficiency 

AND

Top 25 in Adj D Efficiency 

Nebraska’s numbers?

AdjO - 42

AdjD- 26

We’re so close to meeting the criteria for both those metrics it’s crazy.

Edited by hskr4life

5 minutes ago, HuskerBB said:

Not sure if this is the place to put this  but was curious so looked up our seeding in each of our NCAA tournament appearances and thought I would share:

Seed    Opponent
1986    9       Western Kentucky
1991    3       Xavier
1992    8       Connecticut
1993    10    New Mexico State
1994    6      Penn
1998    11     Arkansas
2014    11     Baylor

So only been the higher seeded team 3 of the seven times - and probably only a clear favorite in 1991 and 1994.    Other interesting thing I noticed was that until Baylor in 2014 all of the teams that we lost to got beat in the next round.   Baylor beating Creighton made them the first team to beat us in the tourney and go on to make the Sweet 16.    (Of course we also have never played a top 4 seed in the first round that would be favored to make the Sweet 16).

I remember the Penn game being very frustrating.  I was not expecting much from the 1998 team as I was a little surprised they made the tournament and they almost pulled that one out.  The 1991 team of course was the biggest disappointment.  The others were like, okay we lost.