Is Hoiberg the coach of this team next year?

huskerbill85

So, do we have a realistic hope to hire someone better than:

• Tom Izzo or whoever replaces him?  No
  • Mick Cronin?  No
  • Dana Altman?  No
  • Matt Painter?  No
  • Chris Holtzmann?  No
  • Brad Underwood?  No
  • Steve Pikeill?  No
  • Chris Collins?  No
  • Andy Enfield?  No
  • Kevin Willard?  No
  • Fran McCaffery?  No
  • Greg Gard?  Probably not, especially considering its an established program
  • Mike Woodson?  Probably not, he can recruit
  • Whoever replaces Juwan Howard?  No
  • Whoever replaces Ben Johnson?  Probably not
  • Mike Hopkins, or whoever replaces him?  Maybe, or probably not
  • Mike Rhoades?  Possibly

So, if we're lucky and make a good hire, we might end up with the 15th best coach in the conference.  With the lack of recruiting base and the lack of tradition, our biggest hope is that maybe we'll still be playing on Tuesday the week of the Big Ten tournament.

Fred's job is on life support. His W-L record here make Collier and Sadler's look like Bob Knight and Coach K. The eye test/grit of this team against the only 2 teams that have a pulse, was abysmal. Losing + Disinterested Players = Easy Choice. I'll leave a little wiggle room, because miracles have happened, but being on the right end of a miracle doesn't happen to Nebrasketball. 

Edited by The Polish Rifle

23 minutes ago, Husker4theSpurs said:

I didn't say NO ONE supports it, just not to the degree we need.

Name a player who wanted to come here that we couldn't afford? I'll wait.

I don't know who HB's source is and is likely different from mine, but I can say with certainty that this person is at all of the big donor events. When he tells me that we can be competitive with NIL, I believe him. 

5 hours ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

• Mick Cronin?  No
  • Dana Altman?  No
  • Matt Painter?  No
  • Chris Holtzmann?  No
  • Brad Underwood?  No
  • Steve Pikeill?  No
  • Chris Collins?  No
  • Andy Enfield?  No
  • Kevin Willard?  No
  • Fran McCaffery?  No

So, if we're lucky and make a good hire, we might end up with the 15th best coach in the conference.  With the lack of recruiting base and the lack of tradition, our biggest hope is that maybe we'll still be playing on Tuesday the week of the Big Ten tournament.

We might be lucky to hire a coach who could coach the losing team at the state high school basketball championship. 

8 hours ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

No one with any kind of future that is in their right mind wants this job

We're going to have to just admit what we are as a program and go beneath the surface of the "hot coach du jour" in the mid majors. 

AD needs to do some deep sea diving, put his neck on the block, and roll the dice on a prodigy somewhere that's flying a bit under the radar. For the record, there will be no shortage of coaches who will enjoy this kind of masochistic challenge. Our coahc is out there. He/she (hey, its  possible) is. We just gotta find him/her. 

8 hours ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

• Mick Cronin?  No
  • Dana Altman?  No
  • Matt Painter?  No
  • Chris Holtzmann?  No
  • Brad Underwood?  No
  • Steve Pikeill?  No
  • Chris Collins?  No
  • Andy Enfield?  No
  • Kevin Willard?  No
  • Fran McCaffery?  No

You just don’t know. But at the very least you have to try. I think we can all admit Hoiberg is not working. 

We probably are not going land some big fish well known name but it needs to be about fit and fit in the Big Ten. Not playing defense and playing with “pace” to the point where your team feels the need to Jack up terrible shots 30% of the time is not going to work. 

There are plenty of mid major coaches or former failed P5 coaches that I’m sure would love a crack at this job. 

10 hours ago, jason2486 said:

My question is:

Did we break Fred Hoiberg or was that the NBA? We get a coach who anyone on this board would have been ecstatic about 7-8 years ago, and somehow he has been an historical trainwreck. I think we'd have the same luck with a resurrected Dean Smith, Roy Williams, Coach K, etc. 

I think the honest answer here is, the secret to Fred's success at ISU was the guy who is the current head coach there, and it probably isn't any more complicated than that.  If people can attribute Miles' success in 2014 to coach Smith then I think it's fair to attribute Fred's success at ISU to Otz.

10 hours ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

• Mick Cronin?  No
  • Dana Altman?  No
  • Matt Painter?  No
  • Chris Holtzmann?  No
  • Brad Underwood?  No
  • Steve Pikeill?  No
  • Chris Collins?  No
  • Andy Enfield?  No
  • Kevin Willard?  No
  • Fran McCaffery?  No

We're at least a year too late to go after Grant McCasland, 1st year head coach of the Kenpom #46 Texas Tech Red Raiders. We probably coulda had him a couple years ago when no one would have criticized us for terminating a 10-win coach.

36 minutes ago, 49r said:

I think the honest answer here is, the secret to Fred's success at ISU was the guy who is the current head coach there, and it probably isn't any more complicated than that.  If people can attribute Miles' success in 2014 to coach Smith then I think it's fair to attribute Fred's success at ISU to Otz.

Otz was there for the four years McDermott was there, and they really didn't do anything of substance. 

Fred took advantage of the transfer portal at ISU when no one else was. Then everyone caught up while he was at the Bulls. By the time he came back to us, the entire landscape had changed. And thus, the demise. 

14 minutes ago, Cowboy Kermit said:

The dream coaching carousel scenario.

Craig Smith to Minnesota
Niko Medved to Nebraska
Tim Miles back to Colorado State

Niko is priority #1 for Minnesota. You just have to hope they produce enough of a season that doesn't warrant firing. 

Even so, Niko will be a hot commodity regardless. 

Would Craig not take this job cuz of Miles?

Edit: No offense to Craig, but if you're Minny and have the pick between the two it's pretty easy. 

Possibly. Craig and Niko are both Minnesota natives and they both wanted it bad when Minny hired Ben Johnson. Mark Coyle interviewed Craig for 6 hours and still wound up hiring Ben Johnson.

Utah also moves to the Big 12 next year, so Craig may stay put since he’ll be a Big 12 coach next year. Regardless, the Miles coaching tree will be very involved in a Minnesota search.

11 minutes ago, Cowboy Kermit said:

Utah also moves to the Big 12 next year, so Craig may stay put since he’ll be a Big 12 coach next year.

I was about to post something to this effect.  Competing in the Big 12 in hoops is quite a lot more prestigious at this point than the Big Ten, so it's not a given that a Big 12 coach would leave for a job in the Big Ten unless there was stupid money involved.  Which, at Minnesota, is not likely.

There's a pretty vocal minority of Ute fans that have already determined Craig is not the man for the job in SLC.  The administration (and their talking heads) seem more cautiously optimistic with him, but it doesn't help that Little Brother down in Provo is having an elite season.  The local UofU vs BYU rivalry game is this weekend, the result of which will inordinately impact the support Craig has moving forward. 

If Smith pulls the upset against the Cougars and then makes a good showing in conference play, I don't think he is going anywhere.  But if he flounders around .500 in league play again while losing a step to BYU, then I could see him wanting to stay a step ahead of the boosters and consider a move back to the midwest.  Without tangible progress this season he for sure would be on the hot seat in 2024-25.