Coaches that you think should be on Nebraska's list, if this trend continues

I think Miles has just recruited highly ranked players for rankings sakes.  He has got these players that don't fit into the culture or scheme.  He figured if he got these guys he could plug them in and be successfull when in all reality they are just a mismash and dont fit his style for his scheme.  Pitchford, Petteway, Palmer, all regressed their second year and surrounding players never developed to help.  

If Indiana can beat Michigan State, I refuse to throw in the towel just yet, so all of this speculation is too premature to consider at this point. If people are just drawing names from a hat and flinging them against the wall to see who sticks, then I think we can add John Groce, Danny Manning, Eddie Sutton,  and Dave Bliss to the group along with Sampson who was fired at two previous stops which included one at a Big10 school. Or we could just throw our hands up and roll out the carpet for Ernie Kent. Lets see how the remainder of the year plays out first, huh?

9 hours ago, coughunter said:

I think Miles has just recruited highly ranked players for rankings sakes.  He has got these players that don't fit into the culture or scheme.  He figured if he got these guys he could plug them in and be successfull when in all reality they are just a mismash and dont fit his style for his scheme.  Pitchford, Petteway, Palmer, all regressed their second year and surrounding players never developed to help.  

I don't think that's fair. He took the best he could get, and that was highly rated guys who were leaving their previous schools for more playing time. Pitchford, White and Palmer all wanted to play and they came here with the promise of playing, not because they thought they were going to a great program. In some ways, you can see now why they didn't get more playing time at their previous programs, but in the beginning here, they blossomed when getting a chance to play. Worked well until it didn't. TP was a little different, left Tech after a coaching change. 

37 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

If Indiana can beat Michigan State, I refuse to throw in the towel just yet, so all of this speculation is too premature to consider at this point. If people are just drawing names from a hat and flinging them against the wall to see who sticks, then I think we can add John Groce, Danny Manning, Eddie Sutton,  and Dave Bliss to the group along with Sampson who was fired at two previous stops which included one at a Big10 school. Or we could just throw our hands up and roll out the carpet for Ernie Kent. Lets see how the remainder of the year plays out first, huh?

You don’t think a fired coach could be successful here? Quite an ugly season Rick Barnes is having at Tennessee, bet they’re regretting hiring a coach that was fired at his last stop. Look it’s cool if you don’t want to participate in the discussion, but we’re 2/3 through a make or break season and absolutely have not reached expectations. These types of discussions are why message boards like this exsist. 

Nailed it chuck.  Miles did a pretty good job assembling talent with a leave no stone unturned approach (unless the stone was in Omaha).  He has just never gotten the program to click.  It has had flashes (end of 2014, most of last year and first two months of this year) but it invariably sputtered out.  Personally I feel like Miles has hit his ceiling; I really hope he rallies the troops and surprises me.

5 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

You don’t think a fired coach could be successful here? Quite an ugly season Rick Barnes is having at Tennessee, bet they’re regretting hiring a coach that was fired at his last stop. Look it’s cool if you don’t want to participate in the discussion, but we’re 2/3 through a make or break season and absolutely have not reached expectations. These types of discussions are why message boards like this exsist. 

Rick Barnes left Texas after making the NCAA tournament in his final season there and only missing the NCAA’s once in 17 seasons. There’s a difference between being fired for sucking (like Groce and likely Manning) as Opposed to not meeting very high expectations (Barnes). 

2 minutes ago, Jugular said:

Rick Barnes left Texas after making the NCAA tournament in his final season there and only missing the NCAA’s once in 17 seasons. There’s a difference between being fired for sucking (like Groce and likely Manning) as Opposed to not meeting very high expectations (Barnes). 

I was referencing Sampson...Groce and Manning would never be considered for the role. The OP grouped Sampson along with every other coach that has been fired. My point was there’s coaches that have been fired that could be successful here. 

1 hour ago, Jugular said:

No Texas fired Barnes. He wanted to stay 

9 minutes ago, RogDodge said:

Need a complete difference maker, regardless of cost.  Altman is the one and only one we you want.

Corrected that for you.  Because if I am part of "we" have no want or desire to see him coaching here.  Plus, he is a Nike guy, and I am not sure he would move that allegiance at this juncture.

2 hours ago, ConkTrifecta3 said:

I would keep an eye on Ben Howland. Apparently Moos and him have a great friendship.  Would think if he went to Starkville he would at least listen to us. 

If you look at Moos' hires as a whole at WSU the pattern instead of 'just hires Ernie Kent' is 'hires guy who has proven to be successful and is down on his luck'. That's Kent and Mike Leach.  When thinking about guys that he would hire, Ben Howland before Miss St got seems like a guy Moos would target if he needed to make a hire; what people have been saying in this thread about a guy who has won and is out of favor ATM seems like a move Moos if he was to make one.

36 minutes ago, RogDodge said:

Need a complete difference maker, regardless of cost.  Altman is the one and only one we want.

You can want him all you want, but you realize he isn't coming here, right?   And it has nothing to do with what we're willing to pay.   So you might just want to expand your list beyond one.  

I (obviously) am not against message boards-at least not this one. However, if we should win the majority of our next games, this thread would be irrelevant. And my comments were tongue in cheek in case you didn't notice-I don't even know if Dave Bliss is still alive. Nevertheless, people are welcome to post whatever they like, even if I don't agree with it.

Edited by jimmykc

4 hours ago, ConkTrifecta3 said:

I would keep an eye on Ben Howland. Apparently Moos and him have a great friendship.  Would think if he went to Starkville he would at least listen to us. 

It didn't take Howland long to build a little nest in Starkville. But the attraction of MSU is it proximity to some pretty good hoops hotbeds, especially Memphis. Nebraska's more fertile recruiting grounds than Mississippi--trust me, I was just living there last year. But what's close is what's intriguing, so I  don't know if he can be baited from Bulldog land to Lincoln easily. New Orleans right down the road, too. Weather's better, and he's about 3 hours from the beach. 

But I definitely like the idea. Anyone that can turn State into a brief basketball mini-power has some mad skillz. 

3 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

"If it's the right situation for not only me, but my family, something I'd be dying to get to, I think that would be what would pull me back into it," Matta said.

https://www.cleveland.com/osu/2018/06/thad_matta_back_in_columbus_on.html

This would probably be my top choice.  Knows the big ten...saying that just dont think he would come.  Who knows tho. 

23 hours ago, HB said:

Good Lord, they really are coming out of the woodwork in the dark times.    Prepare for 2 months of troll season.  Good timing to make a comeback,  Lanigan.  

I wasn’t wrong then, and still not wrong now.  Just think, we’d be in a better spot in the rebuild process had we made the change after White.  Seasons going perfect for Miles....