Coach Miles

15 hours ago, Red Don said:

:Whistling:   Miles isn't going anywhere - anyone who thinks so, or wishes so, is whistling in the dark. Imho, Moos is an Experienced, Respected, and yes, Crafty, AD who is not about to run off a coach who has assembled an exciting line-up of players and just produced one of the best MBB seasons in years.  Moos digs deeper into programs and looks into intangibles as well as tangibles  - he scouts Locker Rooms too, don't ya know. :wink:

He spent 7+ years watching a Washington St team that hasn't finished over .500 since 2012 playing in a Devaney Center aged arena that would only draw 5000 people when good teams came to town. As long as someone isn't ordering him to fire Miles he probably goes to bed giggling about how easy this job is for all the other sports besides football.  What this will boil down to is how many years Miles will get extended.

2 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

He spent 7+ years watching a Washington St team that hasn't finished over .500 since 2012 playing in a Devaney Center aged arena that would only draw 5000 people when good teams came to town. As long as someone isn't ordering him to fire Miles he probably goes to bed giggling about how easy this job is for all the other sports besides football.  What this will boil down to is how many years Miles will get extended.

Moos has a great life. He's feelin' frosty.

I was ready to get rid of him last year, and Im still not the biggest fan, but obviously you cant fire him after the season we just had.  It was a team that played 10-15 games knowing they really couldn't lose to reach the tourney and in the majority of them battled and found a way to win.  A pretty impressive and fun Big 10 Season.  The thing I see in Miles' teams that I don't think gets talked about enough is we really struggle when we are not the poor underdog team.  The 2014 run was ended by a lot of talk of a team that could win 2 games in the tourney and go out in the second half of the Ohio State game/Baylor game and lay the usual Nebrasketball egg.  The next season starts with a top 25 ranking and we let it go down our leg again.  Even last year a lot of talk early after the preseason tourney--beating Dayton and playing UCLA tough and a 3-0 conference start and we become the hunted and it is a miserable conference season.  Lots of talk this year about having a chip on our shoulder and how we pass the eye test going in to Michigan game and we shit the bed again.  I know there are other circumstances in all those scenarios but I think eventually something becomes a trend. 

1 hour ago, basketballjones said:

Man I bet you're fun at parties. 
:(

What the hell does that mean?  I state something which might effect the chemistry of the team moving forward and I get dogged for it?  I guess I need to bow to experts like yourself who know everything!!!

Edited by kldm64

3 hours ago, noahjb24 said:

You won't find a bigger Miles fan than I, and should be the same for everyone that remembers the years before he came as far as talent, attendance, excitement, etc.

That's kinda like saying your current girlfriend who's a 6 but has a great personality, is really hot because with the last two girls you dated, the first looked pretty but laid there like a dead fish, and the last one looked like Ron Howard's little brother....   ;)

7 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

What this will boil down to is how many years Miles will get extended.

Maybe.  Moos could also give a brand new contract.  If he likes what this staff is doing, you give the assistants raises as well.  If Moos is unsure about Miles and Co., I bet he gives a 3 year extension.  Time will tell.  All I know is I like Bill Moos.

2 hours ago, kldm64 said:

What the hell does that mean?  I state something which might effect the chemistry of the team moving forward and I get dogged for it?  I guess I need to bow to experts like yourself who know everything!!!

Just messing with ya for slapping my optimism with your potential scenario for disaster. Nothing personal, I apologize if it came across that way. 

1 hour ago, cipsucks said:

Maybe.  Moos could also give a brand new contract.  If he likes what this staff is doing, you give the assistants raises as well.  If Moos is unsure about Miles and Co., I bet he gives a 3 year extension.  Time will tell.  All I know is I like Bill Moos.

IMO we should give miles a 4 year 12 mil extension and give whatever assistants we need 200k to 300k raises. Some coaches can let assistants come n go but at this point we need to continuity.

2 hours ago, cipsucks said:

That's kinda like saying your current girlfriend who's a 6 but has a great personality, is really hot because with the last two girls you dated, the first looked pretty but laid there like a dead fish, and the last one looked like Ron Howard's little brother....   ;)

I'll bet she looks better after a few tumbler's of Tranya.

tumblr_nldagaYgyD1s01qkyo4_500.gif

5 hours ago, nubest79 said:

I was ready to get rid of him last year, and Im still not the biggest fan, but obviously you cant fire him after the season we just had.  It was a team that played 10-15 games knowing they really couldn't lose to reach the tourney and in the majority of them battled and found a way to win.  A pretty impressive and fun Big 10 Season.  The thing I see in Miles' teams that I don't think gets talked about enough is we really struggle when we are not the poor underdog team.  The 2014 run was ended by a lot of talk of a team that could win 2 games in the tourney and go out in the second half of the Ohio State game/Baylor game and lay the usual Nebrasketball egg.  The next season starts with a top 25 ranking and we let it go down our leg again.  Even last year a lot of talk early after the preseason tourney--beating Dayton and playing UCLA tough and a 3-0 conference start and we become the hunted and it is a miserable conference season.  Lots of talk this year about having a chip on our shoulder and how we pass the eye test going in to Michigan game and we shit the bed again.  I know there are other circumstances in all those scenarios but I think eventually something becomes a trend. 

the fate of a whole lot of mid-major coaches used to using the underdog motivational toolset and never really had a chance to develop the "holy poo, we're a juggernaut and we should never, ever lose!" toolset. I think Miles is pretty good with smoke and mirrors coaching--and that's a real skill, by the way--but he's never coached a powerhouse, and it's one of those things you don't know if you can do until it happens. The great coaches find that gear pretty quickly in their tenures. But there's not very many of them out there. So I'm pretty happy with our smoke and mirrors guy. 

7 hours ago, cipsucks said:

Oh dear god I both vomited in my mouth a bit with this AND laughed out loud.

7 hours ago, cipsucks said:

Now that you mention it...

Image result for doc sadlerSee the source image

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/5/2018 at 1:25 PM, swmckewon said:

Who's saying Miles will be or should be let go? Three people on Twitter? Two people on a message board? 

There is no momentum for this. 

1620 basically discussed the meeting with Moos for 47 minutes today. And there's constant talk about his contract being extended. All of those things are code for whether we're going to keep him around or not.