2024 Portal Watch

9 minutes ago, millerhusker said:

Hickman would be a good addition. However, he’s from Bloomington and all his family is there. Indiana did an in-home with him and he’s planning to go visit IU. I don’t like that he wouldn’t visit Lincoln until after the dead period now. 

Hopefully we aren't here to be a stalking horse for NIL negotiations to his dream school

This probably belonged in this threat, not the JL specific one. 

My take on the transfer portal, is that most teams are basically saying, "we're going to fight to keep (pay, promise starting position) anyone who has shown above replacement value production." We really only have 3 of those guys on the roster. Gary, Mast, and Williams. Everyone else is very replaceable from a statistical perspective. 

JL (who I love and think still has massive potential) averaged 6.9ppg this year on 42% shooting from the field. On paper, you should pretty easily be able to replace a 6.9ppg guy. Btw, major props on JL for 6.9 on .420 shooting - HEY-O. 

Essentially, if you aren't promised to start and/or given a massive NIL deal, you're considered replaceable. Unfortunately, this really sucks as a fan, as we tend to get attached to these guys. But from a strictly "on paper" perspective, they're just numbers, and you should pretty easily be able to replace a guy who only gets > 8ppg. 

Losing guys like CJ and JL really sucks because as fans we've learned to love and appreciate them - but statistically speaking - we should very easily be able to replace them with non-tweener athletes with similar or better production. In theory at least. 

6 minutes ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

Nope.  But they'll be extremely rare.  It would have to be guys that were true freshmen in 2020-21 and then redshirted afterwards.

I still can’t believe they made that rule. Even at the time I thought it was ridiculous. Too many decisions are made without considering the consequences. Every high school senior in 2020-21 got screwed because the kids a year older than them got to redo their freshman years.

It would’ve been one thing if the 2020-21 season was actually canceled. But it wasn’t. 

35 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Take with a grain of salt about NIL as this is apparently what some coaches are relaying to a guy who runs a HS scouting service. 

KU has a reported NIL roster budget of around $7 million for basketball. It's stupidly massive. I think Dickinson got like $3-$4 million. Unreal. 

Edited by OmahaHusker

6 minutes ago, REDZONEDAN said:

I guess the question is, does he want to beat Indiana, or lose to Nebraska.

Hopefully they can get him on campus for a visit. Then when watching film make sure all of the cut-ups are from our 3 wins against Indiana. 

1 minute ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

Or, one could say, their worst team since 1989 still managed to win an NCAA tournament game.

Yeah, mostly because of the name on the front of their jersey they were gifted a 4 seed, about three seed lines above where they should have been.  And even then they barely managed to eke out a win over the 13.

After further consult with my non-existent peeps, I'm opting not to adopt yet another team where I root for the laundry, not the players. One's more than enough for me. 

It's time to just read amateurism as a concept its last rites. 

To (incredibly loosely) paraphrase Richard Nixon: "We're all NILers now..."