Best 20 game start since…..

5 hours ago, tcp said:

let's hope our postseason goes a little better than theirs did. 

Xavier had their coming out party as a program that year by beating us in the NCAAs. 

Prayin' for ya, buddy.

And there's a little self-interest in there as well.

But mostly altruistic. Just hoping you see that Big Dance win.

8 hours ago, Faux Mike Peltz said:

Fellas, at 15-5, we now are off to our best start since the 1990-1991 season. And what a season that was- 26 wins and a #3 seed in the big dance. 

We gotta prove it on the road. We lost a huge opportunity at Rutgers so we're going to have to dig deep the rest of the way. Best opportunity is coming up at Maryland. They're talented and athletic but don't play as a team when I've seen them. Gotta get that one.

14 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

We gotta prove it on the road. We lost a huge opportunity at Rutgers so we're going to have to dig deep the rest of the way. Best opportunity is coming up at Maryland. They're talented and athletic but don't play as a team when I've seen them. Gotta get that one.

It would be nice to get that one, no doubt, but you don't have to get that one. Just gotta be tough and stay the course. It's really, really hard to win on the road in the Big Ten (and elsewhere). Of the Power Seven conferences just 14 schools have winning road records (and only one Big Ten school does, and Nebraska beat that school at home). 

I think this team will steal one or two on the road.  One of them might even be unexpected… similar to that MSU game in Petteway’s year where we danced.

What'll be most important for us is not losing those road games by 10+ as have been the case lately.  Those are metric KILLERS.  We keep jumping around so much in the NET and other metrics because we win big then lose big.

Our team sheet looks… actually… really good.  Overall SOS is 71 now, Strength of record and KPI both now sit at 31!

2 hours ago, brfrad said:

We were 15 - 5 in 2010 - 11 by my count.  Finished 4 - 6 in the regular season,  lost in the Big 12 tournament.   Lost on the road to Wichita State in the NIT.

I’m guessing the games against non-Division I teams aren’t being counted from that season. We had several non-conference games against lower level teams that year.

5 hours ago, brfrad said:

We were 15 - 5 in 2010 - 11 by my count.  Finished 4 - 6 in the regular season,  lost in the Big 12 tournament.   Lost on the road to Wichita State in the NIT.

I think the general notion is that one Husker team had been better than this start. Yes, it's the same as that '10-11 year but the only season better is Nebraska's best season ever (thus far). 😎

3 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

One game at a time.  Can't look forward, can't look back.  Simply focus on the game in front of you and take care of business.  We can't focus on win #17 until we secure win #16.

I know, I know these are tired old adages; but they are soooo true.

And let's all try to remember, our opponents put their pants on one leg at a time too. And the battles will be won in the trenches (oops, wrong sport).

9 hours ago, hhctony said:

It would be nice to get that one, no doubt, but you don't have to get that one. Just gotta be tough and stay the course. It's really, really hard to win on the road in the Big Ten (and elsewhere). Of the Power Seven conferences just 14 schools have winning road records (and only one Big Ten school does, and Nebraska beat that school at home). 

I just seem to remember one of the last times we got snubbed, a lot of the talk was that it was because we didn't have enough road wins. Right now, we have one true road win. And we're running out of winnable road games. So it'd be really nice if we could take care of business at Maryland.

Over the last 30 years:

15-6 start in 1995, 17-13 finish to regular season, 18-14 overall, NIT.
15-4 start in 1996, 16-13 finish to regular season, 21-14 overall, NIT (champs).
15-6 start in 2006, 17-12 finish to regular season, 19-14 overall, NIT.
15-7 start in 2009, 18-11 finish to regular season, 18-13 overall, NIT.
15-5 start in 2011,  19-11 finish to regular season, 19-13 overall, NIT.
13-4 start in 2018,  16-15 finish to regular season.  19-17 overall, NIT.

48 minutes ago, Dead Dog Alley said:
Over the last 30 years:

15-6 start in 1995, 17-13 finish to regular season, 18-14 overall, NIT.
15-4 start in 1996, 16-13 finish to regular season, 21-14 overall, NIT (champs).
15-6 start in 2006, 17-12 finish to regular season, 19-14 overall, NIT.
15-7 start in 2009, 18-11 finish to regular season, 18-13 overall, NIT.
15-5 start in 2011,  19-11 finish to regular season, 19-13 overall, NIT.
13-4 start in 2018,  16-15 finish to regular season.  19-17 overall, NIT.

Well, I guess after Saturday's win, we don't have to worry about the frickin' NIT.  

10 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

The Emotional Return of Juan Gary & my presence in the stands will be more than Maryland is prepared to deal with on a Saturday morning. 

Maryland has vastly improved over the last month or so.  Too bad we didnt get them in December.  Also of note is their schedule sets up pretty well for them the rest of year and they could make a nice run to end the season. A win over Maryland on the road could turn into a Quad 1 win by end of season

Maryland has vastly improved over the last month or so.  Too bad we didnt get them in December.  Also of note is their schedule sets up pretty well for them the rest of year and they could make a nice run to end the season. A win over Maryland on the road could turn into a Quad 1 win by end of season

The tradeoff is we got Izzo in December and winning that may help us more than losing at Maryland might hurt

Interesting stat thru 20 games:

Point Differential at NU, Last 40 Years:
1. +9.0 PPG (1990-1991, Nee, 87.6-78.6)
2. +8.6 PPG (2023-2024, Hoiberg, 78.6-70.0)*
3. +6.7 PPG (1993-1994, Nee, 87.3-80.6)
4. +6.4 PPG (2007-2008, Sadler, 67.1-60.7)

1 hour ago, ConkintheCorner said:

Outside shot of getting into the Dance.  They’re stacking some road wins.  I expect a lower scoring game.

• 1 month later...
On 1/25/2024 at 12:40 PM, OurDecay said:

Interesting stat thru 20 games:

Point Differential at NU, Last 40 Years:
1. +9.0 PPG (1990-1991, Nee, 87.6-78.6)
2. +8.6 PPG (2023-2024, Hoiberg, 78.6-70.0)*
3. +6.7 PPG (1993-1994, Nee, 87.3-80.6)
4. +6.4 PPG (2007-2008, Sadler, 67.1-60.7)

Thru 30 games:

+7.2 PPG (76.5-69.3)