uneblinst's postgame chatter: vol 16; ed 20 - Ohio State

1 hour ago, royalfan said:

One thing that will go unnoticed that I noticed that I found as important as anything.  Allick leadership on defense. He was constantly pointing and screaming where Battle was to his teammates. This shows me both growth in the coaching to identify who we cannot let shoot, and more importantly some tremendouys leadershop and communication by our guys to execute it. 

Allick and Sam are the dudes who seem to give such amazing effort and willpower to help this team on D. It's an impressive skill. It's a lot harder to do that than to make a bucket, in my opinion. Maybe Keisei needs to just watch film of those 2 dudes to see why he only saw 14 minutes tonight. This team is trending in the right direction. Heart and hustle is there, along with dead-eye three-ball shooting from a bunch of dudes. I love it when they're rollin' in all facets like against Purdue & Ohio St. I guess NU should have PEACOCK be our official sponsors. 😎

Keisei didn’t have a great game but he played the first part of the second half and simply didn’t need to go back in the way Mast and Wilcher were shooting. Offense always looks better when we are making shots. I’m old enough to remember guys on this board (me included) loathing Mast taking so many threes against Iowa and some even commenting “there’s a reason you’re open”

Bottom Line. That was Full Mast today. That was Purdue Mast. It was a thing of beauty. It was eye opening to see him hit the step back. He was hot and his confidence in scoring inside was also at an all time high. I loved seeing it.

Im as big of a Keisei fan as there is, but tonight he seemed to be forcing some things and I’ll admit, he put up some forced shots. 

This give opposing coaches some more things to think about when they scout us. We aren’t just all KT. We can score with a variety of players. 

A nice win that was fun to be at - crowd wasn’t huge but we were loud at times

1 minute ago, Faux Mike Peltz said:

Keisei didn’t have a great game but he played the first part of the second half and simply didn’t need to go back in the way Mast and Wilcher were shooting. Offense always looks better when we are making shots. I’m old enough to remember guys on this board (me included) loathing Mast taking so many threes against Iowa and some even commenting “there’s a reason you’re open”

Bottom Line. That was Full Mast today. That was Purdue Mast. It was a thing of beauty. It was eye opening to see him hit the step back. He was hot and his confidence in scoring inside was also at an all time high. I loved seeing it.

Im as big of a Keisei fan as there is, but tonight he seemed to be forcing some things and I’ll admit, he put up some forced shots. 

This give opposing coaches some more things to think about when they scout us. We aren’t just all KT. We can score with a variety of players. 

HELL YEAH! It was a lot of die-hard fans who are anticipating a win in the Big Dance. I'm booking it. Let's GO!!

Stats Time: Nebraska's overall three-point shooting goes up from 35.0% to 35.9% after tonight. The two-pt. shooting is at 57.4%, while the overall shooting numbers go up from 45.0% to 45.2%. Fairly impressive to get a lift in shooting numbers after 20 games.

NU on 3s: 191 for 532 = 35.9%

NU on 2s: 375 for 653 = 57.4%

Overall: 566 for 1185 = 45.2%

Some of the earlier adjustments on the court and mixing of personalities played out in the early games in front of our eyes. I will say, the one have largely disappeared and the on court chemistry is much improved and better. I browsed the Ohio state board because I was curious. The post that got me was “my goodness, we’re playing an international team…” and it was meant in a complimentary way. I guess I never thought of us like that, but yep, international teams prove to be tough to beat unless USA basketball brings out their top level players. 

1 minute ago, Faux Mike Peltz said:

Some of the earlier adjustments on the court and mixing of personalities played out in the early games in front of our eyes. I will say, the one have largely disappeared and the on court chemistry is much improved and better. I browsed the Ohio state board because I was curious. The post that got me was “my goodness, we’re playing an international team…” and it was meant in a complimentary way. I guess I never thought of us like that, but yep, international teams prove to be tough to beat unless USA basketball brings out their top level players. 

Excellent point, thanks for bringing that up. I never peruse opponents' perspectives, unless it's on twitter. Purdue fans liked to call Keisei 'Him' so I wonder what Ohio St. fans think of Rienk.... after being "Dutch Ovened"? 

24 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

Excellent point, thanks for bringing that up. I never peruse opponents' perspectives, unless it's on twitter. Purdue fans liked to call Keisei 'Him' so I wonder what Ohio St. fans think of Rienk.... after being "Dutch Ovened"? 

Lots of “fire Holtmann” and “‘must be nice to have a team play with effort like Nebraska” a couple of “they are a well coached team” comments 

when Tominaga passed to Mast two times in a row and he hit the top of the key threes one comment was “ok, that’s not fair” 😂😂

7 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

Back home.  Nice win.  Needed win.  

Think about.  8 minutes of pretty bad basketball.  Bad game from Keisei.  Gary didn't play.  Little offense from JLaw and Sam...yet we thumped a pretty good team.  Nicely done.

Where were the fans?  

Folks, it isn't Peacocks fault.  I just started watching the replay, and they do good work.  I know it is maddening, but the channel is worth the coin.  Just saying.

Oh yeah...Mast was awesome!

Peacock uses the exact same people that NBC would use.  So far my only complaint is that they aren't streaming Quincy (yeah I'm that old).  I'll probably dump the app after the NCAA and pick it up again in the fall depending on if the Huskers have any games. 

6 hours ago, Faux Mike Peltz said:

Was nice to have the students back.  Was hard to believe when Jake said during pregame that it was December 10th that the student were there last.  

58 minutes ago, Nighthawk said:

Peacock uses the exact same people that NBC would use.  So far my only complaint is that they aren't streaming Quincy (yeah I'm that old).  I'll probably dump the app after the NCAA and pick it up again in the fall depending on if the Huskers have any games. 

Watch "Poker Face" before you dump it.

10 hours ago, brfrad said:

Keisei didn't play in the final 16 minutes.  Hopefully, it was because the other guys were playing so well and not an injury.

He should have sat as he was horrible on defense and took several bad shots.  Other players were just playing better.

I don't think Keisei had a bad game, he wasn't given a game. I'm not second guessing anything, especially looking at how things turned out,  but he has had plenty of games start like that and then explode. Defensively I think he was Keisei. He got his hands on a couple balls and fouls were called that weren't really sending him to the bench. He only took 6 shots the whole game. I'm sure Ohio State would have been excited going in if they knew Keisei would be held to 6 shots. We don't need him to carry the offense this year and that's a good thing, but he can still carry the offense if given the chance. 

Edited by Dean Smith

I love that this team has options and we aren’t reliant on a single guy to carry us any given night.  Mast and CJ were feeling it and we kept getting them the ball.  I thought we played very well as a team.  When KT missed two 2 pt shots in a row it just looked like he wasn’t feeling it to me so it didn’t bother me that Fred was playing the lineup that was clicking at that moment in time.

But to Dean’s point, KT can heat up at anytime.  And I think he only played 14 minutes, had a couple assists, a steal and no turnovers.  It wasn’t like he was playing terrible.  But it sure is nice we have other guys that can get it done.

I also thought Brice stepped up his intensity this game too.  To my eyes he looked much better on defense.  

5 minutes ago, busticket said:

I love that this team has options and we aren’t reliant on a single guy to carry us any given night.  Mast and CJ were feeling it and we kept getting them the ball.  I thought we played very well as a team.  When KT missed two 2 pt shots in a row it just looked like he wasn’t feeling it to me so it didn’t bother me that Fred was playing the lineup that was clicking at that moment in time.

But to Dean’s point, KT can heat up at anytime.  And I think he only played 14 minutes, had a couple assists, a steal and no turnovers.  It wasn’t like he was playing terrible.  But it sure is nice we have other guys that can get it done.

I also thought Brice stepped up his intensity this game too.  To my eyes he looked much better on defense.  

Could tell in Hoiberg's pregame interview with Kent and Jake that the coaching staff challenged Brice to amp it up on the defensive end. I wasn't able to watch the game but sounds like he played very well last night.