Is Hoiberg the coach of this team next year?

huskerbill85

14 minutes ago, Crush78 said:

Well, the problem there is 1890 isn't the University, so it's a little sticky legally to make a clause in a contract that you have to rep a different legal entities logo.

I don't see why.

"We've got money we want to pay to you. You want the money. Here are the things we want you to do in order to 'earn' the money: 1) attend a particular school that isn't a participant in this deal; 2) wear said school's team apparel anytime you attend an event involving that school; 3) never wear the team apparel or anything identifiable as being affiliated with any other school; 4) don't do drugs; 5) say nice stuff about our partners (who are also not parties to this deal) on social media whenever we ask you to; and 6) don't say anything about any competing schools' sports teams on social media."

21 minutes ago, Crush78 said:

Well, the problem there is 1890 isn't the University, so it's a little sticky legally to make a clause in a contract that you have to rep a different legal entities logo.

Lemme get this straight, tho. You think we can insist they play for a particular university that isn't a party to the deal. But we can't require them to exclusively wear that school's logo? Because that's sticky? But requiring them to attend the school would not be sticky?

1 hour ago, hskr4life said:

Did we do this?

I'm glad the majority of the article is behind a paywall, because I really don't want to read the full article and learn about redeeming qualities in BS.  By keeping it pay-to-read I can continue to view him as Saruman in my mind.

3 hours ago, aphilso1 said:

I'm glad the majority of the article is behind a paywall, because I really don't want to read the full article and learn about redeeming qualities in BS.  By keeping it pay-to-read I can continue to view him as Saruman in my mind.

I'm over Creighton; I could not care less about them.  I used to get depressed every time their team plane landed safely; now I don't give a damn.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/6/2023 at 10:19 PM, hskr4life said:

I said last year… it was post season or bust for me… we opted for another year because we heated up towards the end of the year.

So I stated that it was dancing or bust for me this year and I’m holding to that.

Still holding to this, but I think we can do more than Dance.  We can win when we get there too!

On 12/11/2023 at 3:28 PM, Norm Peterson said:

I don't see why.

"We've got money we want to pay to you. You want the money. Here are the things we want you to do in order to 'earn' the money: 1) attend a particular school that isn't a participant in this deal; 2) wear said school's team apparel anytime you attend an event involving that school; 3) never wear the team apparel or anything identifiable as being affiliated with any other school; 4) don't do drugs; 5) say nice stuff about our partners (who are also not parties to this deal) on social media whenever we ask you to; and 6) don't say anything about any competing schools' sports teams on social media."

Not sure how I missed this. FTR, I'm 1000% behind you on this, so much so that I reached out to the 1890 as have others with way more influence. @Norm Peterson and @HB did an excellent job of making the case about an NU athlete wearing a direct competitors fan clothes. So I have nothing to add other than thanks to both of you.

Kind of interesting that Fred while at NU had been 0-6 against Mich St and 0-6 vs Indiana until now with all the losses by at least 3 possessions previously. Impressive turnaround.

With Ioway and Wisky coming up on the schedule, Hoiberg is 3-3 vs Ioway and 2-4 vs Wisky with 2 straight wins vs each of them - considering he was 18-61 in B1G play entering this season, going 5-7 vs Ioway & Wisky basically means he owns them. 😁

Hope we can keep things going vs those two over the upcoming week.

On 12/9/2023 at 10:06 PM, Husker4theSpurs said:

Unfortunately there is little incentive to make basketball priority ... yet again. NIL money isn't always some giveaway, it's often an investment business-wise. I don't think the business brokers want to divert much money away from football.

This isn't directly addressed to you @Husker4theSpurs but rather the idea that NIL money isn't going to basketball or that basketball is a  low priority. 

Let me start off by staying that I love Volleyball and I love this NU team. I became a fan of women's volleyball because of this team. I used to attend Volleyball matches at the old Field House when I went to school at NU in the early '90's. Women's volleyball is the only women's team sport that I'll go out of my way to watch. With that said Nebraska basketball is still the #2 sport at UNL. Despite how bad basketball has been at Nebraska for so very long they still generate $1 mil than the women's volleyball team.

Volleyball generates about $525K and Men's basketball generates about $1.5mil. Those numbers have expenses factored into them. Think about that for a minute. Our volleyball is at it's pinnacle right now. On the the other hand our basketball program generates $1.5mil for a bottom feeding program that has never won an NCAA tournament game. A program, since Nee left which has been more than 20yrs ago, has amassed fewer than 5 winning conference seasons. PBA was funded and built for Nebraska Men's Basketball. The previous 2 years to its opening we had consecutive losing seasons. Think there might be some room for growth. If we just moved to the middle of the pack in the BIG we would be generating around $10mil and IMO that's the floor with just a modicum of success, meaning making the NCAA's on a semi-regular basis and winning a couple of games. The ceiling is if we can make some real noise in the NCAA tournament.

I can promise you that the 1890 is not giving basketball the short end of the stick at all. Basketball is very well funded. HCFH has plenty of NIL to compete.

Edited by Ron Mexico

As to getting into the Dance this year, here is the Committee (spoiler alert, Barry Collier is still there, but no one from Omaha is on or Chairing the Committee any more):

NCAA Tournament Selection Committee

The 2023-2024 Selection Committee (the year the term is up is in parenthesis):

CHARLES MCCLELLAND (2024) – SWAC Commissioner (Chairperson)

JAMIE POLLARD (2024) – Iowa State Athletic Director

BUBBA CUNNINGHAM (2025) – North Carolina Athletic Director (Vice-Chairperson)

MARK COYLE (2026) – Minnesota Athletic Director

DAVE HEEKE (2026) – Arizona Athletic Director

GREG BYRNE (2026) – Alabama Athletic Director

KEITH GILL (2026) – Sun Belt Commissioner

BARRY COLLIER (2026) – Butler Athletic Director

MARTIN NEWTON (2027) – Samford Athletic Director

TOM WISTRCILL (2027) – Big Sky Commissioner

ARTHUR JOHNSON (2028) – Temple Athletic Director

RACHELLE PAUL (2028) – Miami Deputy Athletic Director

1 hour ago, throwback said:

Kind of interesting that Fred while at NU had been 0-6 against Mich St and 0-6 vs Indiana until now with all the losses by at least 3 possessions previously. Impressive turnaround.

With Ioway and Wisky coming up on the schedule, Hoiberg is 3-3 vs Ioway and 2-4 vs Wisky with 2 straight wins vs each of them - considering he was 18-61 in B1G play entering this season, going 5-7 vs Ioway & Wisky basically means he owns them. 😁

Hope we can keep things going vs those two over the upcoming week.

Fred can get to a 7-7 record against IA & WI here relatively soon. Yeah, yeah, you betcha.

2 hours ago, Swan88 said:

As to getting into the Dance this year, here is the Committee (spoiler alert, Barry Collier is still there, but no one from Omaha is on or Chairing the Committee any more):

NCAA Tournament Selection Committee

The 2023-2024 Selection Committee (the year the term is up is in parenthesis):

CHARLES MCCLELLAND (2024) – SWAC Commissioner (Chairperson)

JAMIE POLLARD (2024) – Iowa State Athletic Director

BUBBA CUNNINGHAM (2025) – North Carolina Athletic Director (Vice-Chairperson)

MARK COYLE (2026) – Minnesota Athletic Director

DAVE HEEKE (2026) – Arizona Athletic Director

GREG BYRNE (2026) – Alabama Athletic Director

KEITH GILL (2026) – Sun Belt Commissioner

BARRY COLLIER (2026) – Butler Athletic Director

MARTIN NEWTON (2027) – Samford Athletic Director

TOM WISTRCILL (2027) – Big Sky Commissioner

ARTHUR JOHNSON (2028) – Temple Athletic Director

RACHELLE PAUL (2028) – Miami Deputy Athletic Director

I would hope that both Jamie Pollard and Greg Byrne would be favorable towards us.