2025 F A’mare Bynum -> Ohio St

21 hours ago, millerhusker said:

For folks who have seen him play, can you shed some light on why people who are involved in Nebraska high school hoops aren’t nearly as high on him as people nationally are? Just watching his highlights (which of course don’t tell the whole story) his skillset looks to me like he’s equal parts Derrick Walker and Rienk Mast. Seems to be a perfect fit for Hoiberg’s offense. 

I think it's because a lot of those folks are looking at him as a high school player, and not a prospect. He doesn't dominate all the time, which he should in high school with his athletic gifts and skill level. He may not have the motor you want to see at this point, but I bet a good coach could bring that out in him. I agree he would be an incredible fit for the Huskers, but I'm not sure about his interest level...seems to be looking for a blue blood offer. 

8 minutes ago, HuscurAdam said:

I think it's because a lot of those folks are looking at him as a high school player, and not a prospect. He doesn't dominate all the time, which he should in high school with his athletic gifts and skill level. He may not have the motor you want to see at this point, but I bet a good coach could bring that out in him. I agree he would be an incredible fit for the Huskers, but I'm not sure about his interest level...seems to be looking for a blue blood offer. 

I kind of assumed that would be the answer, simply because these were the exact same complaints about Hunter Sallis in high school… I’ll trust Fred. Sounds like he is the #1 priority in the 2025 class. Hopefully he doesn’t get that Duke offer. 

34 minutes ago, millerhusker said:

I kind of assumed that would be the answer, simply because these were the exact same complaints about Hunter Sallis in high school… I’ll trust Fred. Sounds like he is the #1 priority in the 2025 class. Hopefully he doesn’t get that Duke offer. 

Hunter made a mistake going to Gonzaga and having to be a role player there. One of the articles posted indicated he got to the point where he wasn't even going to try to score in games and would just settle into a defensive role because he didn't want to get yanked and chewed out by Mark Few. He would have been better served to come here and develop with a lot of playing time where he had a greater chance of being a focal point of our offense instead of thinking he had to just pass the ball to everyone else. But he's having a good time at Wake now, so I guess good for him.

6 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Hunter made a mistake going to Gonzaga and having to be a role player there. One of the articles posted indicated he got to the point where he wasn't even going to try to score in games and would just settle into a defensive role because he didn't want to get yanked and chewed out by Mark Few. He would have been better served to come here and develop with a lot of playing time where he had a greater chance of being a focal point of our offense instead of thinking he had to just pass the ball to everyone else. But he's having a good time at Wake now, so I guess good for him.

I think Hunter's momma wanted him to get far away from NE, ironic since she played at dear ol' Nebraska U. I suspect that he's learned a lot in his nearly 3 seasons of fairly high-level hoops with the Zags and now with Wake in the ACC. The circuitous journey might be just what he needed, who knows...

Edited by AuroranHusker

1 hour ago, AuroranHusker said:

I think Hunter's momma wanted him to get far away from NE, ironic since she played at dear ol' Nebraska U. I suspect that he's learned a lot in his nearly 3 seasons of fairly high-level hoops with the Zags and now with Wake in the ACC. The circuitous journey might be just what he needed, who knows...

She did not. The former Omaha Central standout Jessica Haynes played at San Diego State.

On 2/28/2024 at 11:17 AM, millerhusker said:

For folks who have seen him play, can you shed some light on why people who are involved in Nebraska high school hoops aren’t nearly as high on him as people nationally are? Just watching his highlights (which of course don’t tell the whole story) his skillset looks to me like he’s equal parts Derrick Walker and Rienk Mast. Seems to be a perfect fit for Hoiberg’s offense. 

I guess that depends on who you're referring to and what those comments are. There are some locally who are very high on him.

If you want the critical breakdown, decision-making still has plenty of room for improvement, although it's tough to hold that against him too much considering the pieces around him at Bryan. He's pretty turnover-prone, both getting his dribble ripped when he tries to do too much and some bad passing. Takes some really tough shots at inopportune times. This may just be a strength thing that a college S&C program will solve, but he can struggle to finish around the basket with even a little bit of contact at times.

That being said, I've been impressed by the improvements he's made. He really did have a terrific season individually. The 3-point shot was more flashes than an actual weapon for him until this season (low 3s his first two seasons and didn't make many at all for MOKAN last summer), and this year he nearly doubled his attempts and still shot 40%. He's a very different player if the shot is for real, and it appears to be getting there. Good frame, long wing span, athletic enough. He can make some plays off the dribble, but we'll have to see how that translates to college. He rebounds it well, has some moves in the post and can make some impressive plays in transition. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • hhcmatt changed the title to 2025 F A’mare Bynum -> Ohio St