Transfer Portal 2023

54 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

With what they lose and what they bring in, I feel he's going to be in a weird position. I'd suggest he leaves and comes to Nebraska. Zero bias involved here. 😉

If two former Nebraska prep players from the same graduating class, who went elsewhere to play college ball, both entered the portal and considered returning to the state to finish their careers, I'd take the guy who's already used to wearing red and white.

2 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

I mean, I don't know about that? He might just need a fresh start somewhere and an altered role? I have no idea. 

Well. Maybe.

I'm not encouraged by his shooting accuracy. I just don't think he fits with what we would want to do. Or, at the very least, we probably have better options.

I would jump at John Tonje for example. I would jump at Chucky.

I think if you add those two to the stable of guards we already have, it gives us a veteran presence and guys who can shoot the damn ball.

Where would Hunter fit in that picture? 

1 minute ago, Norm Peterson said:

Well. Maybe.

I'm not encouraged by his shooting accuracy. I just don't think he fits with what we would want to do. Or, at the very least, we probably have better options.

I would jump at John Tonje for example. I would jump at Chucky.

I think if you add those two to the stable of guards we already have, it gives us a veteran presence and guys who can shoot the damn ball.

Where would Hunter fit in that picture? 

I personally believe Sallis can only be effective if he is your lead point guard in a "Ja Morant" type role. Slashing, making things happen in transition, manipulating ball screens to either get to the rim or to kick out. Has to be surrounded by shooters and versatile bigs. You can't play Sallis with another point guard.

3 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

I personally believe Sallis can only be effective if he is your lead point guard in a "Ja Morant" type role. Slashing, making things happen in transition, manipulating ball screens to either get to the rim or to kick out. Has to be surrounded by shooters and versatile bigs. You can't play Sallis with another point guard.

Our offensive system seems to work the best when we have guys on the floor who can shoot and the ball doesn't stop for long in anyone's hands. What you're describing seems more like what we saw with Alonzo Verge. To me, that style isn't as fun to watch.

1 minute ago, Norm Peterson said:

Our offensive system seems to work the best when we have guys on the floor who can shoot and the ball doesn't stop for long in anyone's hands. What you're describing seems more like what we saw with Alonzo Verge. To me, that style isn't as fun to watch.

I would argue Alonzo Verge wasn't fun to watch running that style, not that the style itself can't be fun to watch. 

12 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

IIRC, when he was ranked No 6 in recruiting circles, he was listed as a PG.  They saw what you see, but that's not how he actually plays.

20 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

You can't play Sallis with another point guard.

That's what would concern me if the rumors were true about him and Chucky coming as a package deal. Sallis isn't transferring here to come off the bench. They'd both be starting together. I don't know if that'd be a very productive 1-2 with two dribble heavy guards.