Transfer Portal 2023

6 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

I'd say the fact that we're in the top 4 for a guy where some recruitnik hasn't linked us to them is an indication that what is publi0lyc put out for consumption doesn't necessarily marry up with the reality of what is happening

Career 27% 3pt shooter and career 1:3 assist to turnover ratio... Where do I sign up?!?!?

Seems pretty apparent why there is mutual interest between Oquendo and Nebraska: He's a top level athlete and the one thing he's missing in part to make the NBA is a 3pt shot, which is what Nebraska is selling.  I'm looking at his career 72.9% FT shooting average and thinking it's possible.

5 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Seems pretty apparent why there is mutual interest between Oquendo and Nebraska: He's a top level athlete and the one thing he's missing in part to make the NBA is a 3pt shot, which is what Nebraska is selling.  I'm looking at his career 72.9% FT shooting average and thinking it's possible.

He's averaged more turnovers the last two years than assists, steals, blocks combined. 

I think he's getting enough attempts from 3 to see what he's capable of. 

6 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

He's averaged more turnovers the last two years than assists, steals, blocks combined. 

I think he's getting enough attempts from 3 to see what he's capable of. 

At one point the guy could make a 3 and his FT numbers indicate that that ability is unlockable. 

https://www.dawgnation.com/basketball/mens-basketball/georgia-basketball-kario-oquendo-tom-crean/HKCX26XTWVCWJLRBKZZ4VLA26Y/

7 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

At one point the guy could make a 3 and his FT numbers indicate that that ability is unlockable. 

https://www.dawgnation.com/basketball/mens-basketball/georgia-basketball-kario-oquendo-tom-crean/HKCX26XTWVCWJLRBKZZ4VLA26Y/

Alas, you forget what happens to shooters when they come to Nebraska. His numbers will trend, but not in the direction you are hoping 📉

56 minutes ago, MichHusker said:

Ryan Nembhard leaving Creighton

I've always thought that team, which almost made the Final 4, would potentially be better with Scheierman at point than Nembhard but if you have both it makes sense to play Nembhard at the point.

Assuming everyone comes back, which is obviously assuming a lot given this news, this is how you put Traudt in your starting lineup.

Otherwise it's pretty hilarious to read the replies on Nick Bahe's tweet full of complaints about money tampering like 2 years removed from having an assistant fall on his sword over that very issue.

A lot of players who were starters for good basketball programs and who won games in the NCAA tourney are entering the portal. We went .500 and have had no significant contributors enter the portal (yet). I think that says a lot about the foundation and culture of cohesiveness this coaching staff and roster built this past season. 

5 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

I've always thought that team, which almost made the Final 4, would potentially be better with Scheierman at point than Nembhard but if you have both it makes sense to play Nembhard at the point.

Assuming everyone comes back, which is obviously assuming a lot given this news, this is how you put Traudt in your starting lineup.

Yeah, RN seems like the best (for Creighton) of that 5 to leave, but that assumes the others are back. Sounds like Kaluma is moving on, and probably Scheierman.

4 minutes ago, millerhusker said:

A lot of players who were starters for good basketball programs and who won games in the NCAA tourney are entering the portal. We went .500 and have had no significant contributors enter the portal (yet). I think that says a lot about the foundation and culture of cohesiveness this coaching staff and roster built this past season. 

Your players are more sought after by other coaches the better your team is. Who woulda thought?

13 minutes ago, millerhusker said:

Or that we don't have players anyone wants. 

20 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

Or that we don't have players anyone wants. 

The ironic thing about potentially not being able to pay Keisei Tominaga is that no one else can either.  If you're running a program like St Mary's where it's built on international players you are currently playing in the world of college basketball on the cheap.

11 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

The ironic thing about potentially not being able to pay Keisei Tominaga is that no one else can either.  If you're running a program like St Mary's where it's built on international players you are currently playing in the world of college basketball on the cheap.

Nembhard is from Canada, so I"m guessing Arizona has figured out the magic sauce for foreign players.

Gotta be the money since it's not a great situation at AZ, which allready has a PG who was rated 29th and is likely the reason Kriisa left.

56 minutes ago, OmahaHusker said:

Your players are more sought after by other coaches the better your team is. Who woulda thought?

Alrighty I’ll do it this way. There are a lot of starters from teams .500 or worse that are entering the portal. None of our significant contributors have entered the portal (yet). I think that says a lot about the foundation and culture of cohesiveness the coaching staff and roster built this past season. 

41 minutes ago, Chuck Taylor said:

Nembhard is from Canada, so I"m guessing Arizona has figured out the magic sauce for foreign players.

Gotta be the money since it's not a great situation at AZ, which allready has a PG who was rated 29th and is likely the reason Kriisa left.

apparently the international rules are bogus. You can pay them, you just can't pay them for their name, image, or likeness. So those insurance commercials that aired during the tournament -- you can't pay an international student for those engagements. R2 received money from our NIL committee this season.

This move is perplexing but it probably boils down to money. The rumor is that he is headed to Arizona.