Forecasting 2023-24 lineup

Norm Peterson

Just going to throw this out there: BartTorvik projects CJ (8.4ppg) outscoring Williams (6.7) this year. It's a algo projection, most likely based on CJ's expected slight improvement from last year and Williams' likely drop against higher competition. Both averaged 27 minutes a game last year.

I don't think it's a ridiculous projection. It's quite possible CJ returns to 40% shooting, and Willilams' 39% shooting from last year drops against tougher competition. The fact that CJ knows Fred's system and is familiar with the BIG opponents is in his favor.

For the record, I don't think CJ will outscore Williams, but I wouldn't be shocked if he did.

3 hours ago, Chuck Taylor said:

Just going to throw this out there: BartTorvik projects CJ (8.4ppg) outscoring Williams (6.7) this year. It's a algo projection, most likely based on CJ's expected slight improvement from last year and Williams' likely drop against higher competition. Both averaged 27 minutes a game last year.

I don't think it's a ridiculous projection. It's quite possible CJ returns to 40% shooting, and Willilams' 39% shooting from last year drops against tougher competition. The fact that CJ knows Fred's system and is familiar with the BIG opponents is in his favor.

For the record, I don't think CJ will outscore Williams, but I wouldn't be shocked if he did.

At the end of the season, in my head anyways, I see Williams being our 3rd leading scorer average wise, and many nights where he's the lead. 

1 hour ago, basketballjones said:

At the end of the season, in my head anyways, I see Williams being our 3rd leading scorer average wise, and many nights where he's the lead. 

I'm assuming you mean

1 Keisei

2 Mast

3 Williams

Yes? I think it gets more difficult to project from 4 and beyond. Maybe Gary.  Maybe Boogie. Maybe JLaw.

32 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

I'm assuming you mean

1 Keisei

2 Mast

3 Williams

Yes? I think it gets more difficult to project from 4 and beyond. Maybe Gary.  Maybe Boogie. Maybe JLaw.

That was my exact 3. Keisei is just going to have (knock on wood) a lot of big scoring games that I think average wise he'll lead us. But I think we're going to have a lot of different leading scorers. I could see Williams and Mast being the more consistent ones. I just know how they are going to score. 

Edited by basketballjones

1 hour ago, aphilso1 said:

I'm assuming you mean

1 Keisei

2 Mast

3 Williams

If those top three are all ~10-12ppg and the bottom three ~8-10, that’s a good core of scoring. Not reliant on anyone player to score, but any one of them can have a big night. 

We certainly have depth, and as one can see above, we seem ro have a number of players who could start for our team; but the real question that 🤔 needs to be asked and answered has not neen addressed.   WHO ON OUR ROSTER WOULD START AND BE A TOP PLAYER FOR THE TOP TIER BIG TEN TEAMS?

I am not saying we don't have some of those players; but those other top tier programs always reload with top of the line players.

2 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

We certainly have depth, and as one can see above, we seem ro have a number of players who could start for our team; but the real question that 🤔 needs to be asked and answered has not neen addressed.   WHO ON OUR ROSTER WOULD START AND BE A TOP PLAYER FOR THE TOP TIER BIG TEN TEAMS?

I am not saying we don't have some of those players; but those other top tier programs always reload with top of the line players.

- Purdue fans would've sold their souls to get Keisei on their roster this year. 

- Wisconsin and Iowa fans were jealous that we got Mast. 

- Tom Izzo raved about Lawrence last year, and for good reason. 

- Juwan Gary was a part-time starter on a Bama team that was ranked as high as #6. 

- Ulis was Iowa's starting point guard but, if he's able to play this year, I'm not sure he'd start for us at this point.

You can certainly make a case for Brice Williams. 

I wouldn't be shocked if Allick ends up being the most valuable player on this roster. 

Sam Hoiberg and CJ Wilcher played significant roles in us going 6-2 at the end of last season. 

22 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

Kiesei is the only proven commodity on the team capable of playing at an All-B1G level. I guess one could make a solid argument that Gary is another example, assuming he returns 100% (or better?) from injury.

Everyone else requires a bit of projection (and hope) to suggest they can be a high-level B1G player.  

23 hours ago, millerhusker said:

- Tom Izzo raved about Lawrence last year, and for good reason. 

- Ulis was Iowa's starting point guard but, if he's able to play this year, I'm not sure he'd start for us at this point.

To these two points. Man I never saw it before, but thanks for pointing that out - Lawrence is so an Izzo player it's crazy. 

Ulis aint playing this year. There's just no way. I feel like everyone is stepping gently around it, but he's done. That gambling on Iowa Football is an auto out. 

• 3 weeks later...

https://huskers.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster

Updated measurables. Some notable but not unexpected changes.

Eli Rice  -  6’8”  213 lbs

Rienk Mast - 6’10”  248 lbs

Blaise Keita - 257 lbs

Josiah Allick dropped to 231 lbs but should get back up to 235-240 as he starts lifting more. 

Edited by millerhusker

3 hours ago, millerhusker said:

https://huskers.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster

Updated measurables. Some notable but not unexpected changes.

Eli Rice  -  6’8”  213 lbs

Rienk Mast - 6’10”  248 lbs

Blaise Keita - 257 lbs

Josiah Allick dropped to 231 lbs but should get back up to 235-240 as he starts lifting more. 

Well, I was kinda iffy on Mast when he was only 6'8", but now that he's 6'10" ...  😍 (j/k)

On 8/10/2023 at 2:32 PM, aphilso1 said:

I'm assuming you mean

1 Keisei

2 Mast

3 Williams

I don't think Mast makes it into the top three scoring wise. I think Keisei is the top scorer, no doubt, but I think JLaw will be the biggest beneficiary of Keisei's presence. I'm actually hoping that Mast and Williams have way more assists/rebounds and that our top three scorers will be Keisei, JLaw, and CJ. I probably have rose-colored glasses on but I think Keisei will be the focus of all opponents this year and will score in spite of it, which will lead to real good looks for the other guards.

1 hour ago, NoladrianSephier said:

I don't think Mast makes it into the top three scoring wise. I think Keisei is the top scorer, no doubt, but I think JLaw will be the biggest beneficiary of Keisei's presence. I'm actually hoping that Mast and Williams have way more assists/rebounds and that our top three scorers will be Keisei, JLaw, and CJ. I probably have rose-colored glasses on but I think Keisei will be the focus of all opponents this year and will score in spite of it, which will lead to real good looks for the other guards.

I wouldn’t expect Williams to be creating for others much. Think he’ll be an Andrew White-type wing. Which is fine for this team.