2024 NCAA Tourney

1 hour ago, millerhusker said:

That’s pretty normal for lottery picks coming out as freshmen  in college. The potential #1 pick was Colorado’s third or fourth best player. Kentucky has two of them this year who actually weren’t in the starting lineup.

Good point. UConn still wins by about 10 tho. Only lost one game at full strength this year. Just think their guards are too good compared to Purdue’s. 

I'm not sure if this is "a thing", but I thought of an interesting concept recently. 

Ignore the First Four in the NCAA Tournament and focus on the starting 64 teams. Each year, only one team would be able to say that they lost to a team in the first round, who lost in the second round by losing to a team that lost in the third round, etc. For example, in 2023, this was Vermont:

In the first round, Vermont lost to Marquette. Marquette lost to Mich St in the 2nd round. They then lost to Kansas State, who lost to Fla Atlantic, who lost to SDSU, who lost to national champion UCONN. 

You could tongue-in-cheek say that this is "the worst team in the NCAA Tournament" 😜

Guess what?

Nebraska lost to Texas A&M. Who lost to Houston. Who lost to Duke. Who lost to NC State. Who lost to Purdue. So if Purdue loses to UCONN....

We will be the worst team in the NCAA Tournament lol.

11 hours ago, brfrad said:

This game Monday should be really good.  Too bad it won't start until 8:30.  We have to get that fixed.  Game should start no later than 7:30.

On the east coast it starts at 9:30...don't children have school on Tuesday?  It seems to me that you are blocking out the most important demographic group!

2 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

On the east coast it starts at 9:30...don't children have school on Tuesday?  It seems to me that you are blocking out the most important demographic group!

It was always about the dollar and never about the kids. Quite a shame that some of the largest sporting events in the world are now on cable-only platforms. Soon to be streaming-only.

21 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

And if you start it at 7:30 on the east coast, people on the west coast are still at work for the first half. It’s easier to stay up later than leave work for most people. And this game is taking place in the Pacific time zone, which has to factor into planning with regards to people actually attending the game. Just tough to make everyone happy with four time zones to consider.

26 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

It was always about the dollar and never about the kids. Quite a shame that some of the largest sporting events in the world are now on cable-only platforms. Soon to be streaming-only.

if a friend of mine is accurate, this is the first tournament where not one single minute of the tourney was freely accessible. npt one minute. he then had to revise that calculation to reflect the "free" 10 minute blocks cbs allowed for the "preview" before you were forced to choose between about a dozen paid services.

they're basically retailing broadcast licenses to multiple platforms online. there's gonna have to be a reckoning soon on collegiate athletics over a wide range of topics. the ncaa is behaving like an energy company after a cocaine bender. 

52 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

People roll their eyes at my “change is bad” outlook on life, but I’m sticking to it.  

7 hours ago, HuskerActuary said:

I'm not sure if this is "a thing", but I thought of an interesting concept recently. 

Ignore the First Four in the NCAA Tournament and focus on the starting 64 teams. Each year, only one team would be able to say that they lost to a team in the first round, who lost in the second round by losing to a team that lost in the third round, etc. For example, in 2023, this was Vermont:

In the first round, Vermont lost to Marquette. Marquette lost to Mich St in the 2nd round. They then lost to Kansas State, who lost to Fla Atlantic, who lost to SDSU, who lost to national champion UCONN. 

You could tongue-in-cheek say that this is "the worst team in the NCAA Tournament" 😜

Guess what?

Nebraska lost to Texas A&M. Who lost to Houston. Who lost to Duke. Who lost to NC State. Who lost to Purdue. So if Purdue loses to UCONN....

Worst draw, for certain !!

4 hours ago, tcp said:

if a friend of mine is accurate, this is the first tournament where not one single minute of the tourney was freely accessible. npt one minute. he then had to revise that calculation to reflect the "free" 10 minute blocks cbs allowed for the "preview" before you were forced to choose between about a dozen paid services.

they're basically retailing broadcast licenses to multiple platforms online. there's gonna have to be a reckoning soon on collegiate athletics over a wide range of topics. the ncaa is behaving like an energy company after a cocaine bender. 

It was a 60-min. preview, not 10.... just to provide some clarity on the free-ness.

14 hours ago, HuskerActuary said:

Guess what?

My math works out a little differently.

Purdue wins the championship game, and we beat Purdue. That means we are national champions.

7 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

And I think it's possible that it had happened prior to that. A research project, no doubt... if anyone's up for it? *Not me*

Nothing on Huskers.com from 1905 to 1975 to do said research, even, @hhcmatt, so your prior plea was met with nothingness. That's meaningless, not all that different than the moon passing in front of the sun from earth's POV. 💀 

I am going to guess Kansas in 88 is the only time.  I looked up national Champs that came from the Big 6, 7, 8, 12, and 10.  Not many teams from those conferences won championships.  There may have been a non conference team we beat that went on to win.

Here are the champions from our conference

2007-08 Kansas (L 2 x)

1987-88 Kansas (1-1)

1951-52 Kansas (L 2 x)

8 hours ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

Danny and the Miracles....

Danny dribbled the ball off his leg out of bounds giving Nebraska the ball for the game winning shot by Beau Reid, who sored "just 2" according to the PA running down the points by player as we filed out.

I recall my parents missed the game because of a business trip to Vegas so my grandparents took us.

7 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

Nothing on Huskers.com from 1905 to 1975 to do said research, even, @hhcmatt, so your prior plea was met with nothingness. That's meaningless, not all that different than the moon passing in front of the sun from earth's POV. 💀 

As best as I can tell, Nebraska has played the eventual champs 11 times for a 1-10 overall record. The only win was in 1988 against KU.

1940: Indiana beat Nebraska 49-39

1941: Wisconsin beat Nebraska 46-31

1952: Kansas beat Nebraska 69-66 and 90-52

1961: Cincinnati beat Nebraska 75-60

1980: Louisville beat Nebraska 65-58

1988: Kansas lost to Nebraska 68-70 and won 70-48

2008: Kansas beat Nebraska 79-58 and 84-49

2016: Villanova beat Nebraska 87-63

1 hour ago, Shawn Eichorst's Toupee said:

As best as I can tell, Nebraska has played the eventual champs 11 times for a 1-10 overall record. The only win was in 1988 against KU.

1940: Indiana beat Nebraska 49-39

1941: Wisconsin beat Nebraska 46-31

1952: Kansas beat Nebraska 69-66 and 90-52

1961: Cincinnati beat Nebraska 75-60

1980: Louisville beat Nebraska 65-58

1988: Kansas lost to Nebraska 68-70 and won 70-48

2008: Kansas beat Nebraska 79-58 and 84-49

2016: Villanova beat Nebraska 87-63

Thanks Toupee. Doing a good work. Time to be on the other end, have other teams have to look up to NU! GBR!

Aren't Anderson and Ogelsby mainly Big 10 refs? And Ayers does Big 10 as well? Interesting that bowl games use officials not from teams conference but basketball puts all 3 with conference ties. And there has to be better refs out there than "High Knees" and Ogelsby.