uneblinst's postgame chatter: vol 16; ed 28- Minnesota

Oh man, that was a fun one.  Minnesota decided to play thug ball, and we definitely won that fight.

That was a team win.  Our perimeter game was ugly at times but we put our big boy britches on and got it done, both inside and out.

BUT, what really won us this game was our intensity and our stellar defense.  That was great to watch.

Edited by Huskerpapa

4 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

I’m just sitting here drinking a beer soaking it all in. Recency bias, and I don’t remember much of the Nee era -  but this might be my favorite Nebrasketball group ever. 

I remember every year of the Nee era very well - but that is a fair statement.   We have had teams with more talent but this is a group of very likable players who work hard and are fun to cheer for.   I would have to think for a while before I decided on my favorite Husker team (first one that comes to mind for me is actually Iba era - Dave Hoppen's freshman season team that went to the NIT Final Four back in the era before the NCAA tournament was 64 teams) but this is definitely one of my favorite teams.

I know we won and I don't want to throw a damper on that, but this seems to be a recurring theme on the season: Keisei doesn't seem to like to pass to Bryce and Bryce doesn't seem to like to pass to Keisei. Neither assisted on a made shot for the other today. And there were times where they each made a harder play when the easier play and higher percentage play would have been to the other.

Stop it, guys. There's too much riding on this season. The offense stops when the ball stops in one guy's hands.

3 minutes ago, big red22 said:

We beat Ohio State, I would be shocked if we weren't a Top 25 team

We've gotta be close to getting votes at the very least. Four wins in a row including one on the road. All by double digits.

Ohio State is finally playing to the level of their talent, but you get a big road win like that (against MSU) and if you're not careful, you'll be primed for a letdown game. And that letdown game would be against us.

Very impressive win - Minny has been playing solid basketball, and they desperately needed this one, but they really didn't have much of a chance. We didn't seem to have our legs on our 3-pt shots - other than Juwan - but we just found a way to score and tough out a win we had to have. 

Love the way we've flipped our rebounding lately - the guards are really hanging in there and cleaning up the loose change. Yeah, Minny had quite a few 2nd chance points, but our rebounding was still pretty solid, I thought.

Defense was simply outstanding. Garcia just flat out gave up. Loved seeing it. Was a big fan of the NIT chant as well - nicely done, students. 

Win Thursday, and we can start worrying about NCAA seeding, rather than worrying about whether we're on the bubble.

Edited by throwback

1 minute ago, Norm Peterson said:

I know we won and I don't want to throw a damper on that, but this seems to be a recurring theme on the season: Keisei doesn't seem to like to pass to Bryce and Bryce doesn't seem to like to pass to Keisei. Neither assisted on a made shot for the other today. And there were times where they each made a harder play when the easier play and higher percentage play would have been to the other.

Stop it, guys. There's too much riding on this season. The offense stops when the ball stops in one guy's hands.

Well, it's a good thing we don't play again till Thursday.  I'm assuming this shit gets straightened out. Like now. You guys mess this season up for the people who have waited decades for this, they'll be hell to pay.

1 minute ago, throwback said:

Very impressive win - Minny has been playing solid basketball, and they desperately needed this one, but they really didn't have much of a chance. We didn't seem to have our legs on our shots - other than Juwan - but we just found a way to score and tough out a win we had to have. 

Love the way we've flipped our rebounding lately - the guards are really hanging in there and cleaning up the loose change. Yeah, Minny had quite a few 2nd chance points, but our rebounding was still pretty solid, I thought.

Defense was simply outstanding. Garcia just flat out gave up. Loved seeing it. Was a bit fan of the NIT chant as well - nicely done, students. 

Win Thursday, and we can start worrying about NCAA seeding, rather than worrying about whether we're on the bubble.

We cannot drop a home game to NET #89 or a road game against NET #122. So, even if we beat Ohio State, I'm gonna still feel like we've got to avoid any bad losses.

AP rankings don’t matter. If any player on this team or the coaches feel it is necessary then our ceiling is capped. I listened to Mizzou fans whine about it all the way up until the got embarrassed by Princeton last year. Playing with a chip on your back will only take you so far. 

The way our defense has evolved has been very beneficial. We are vary our looks and doubles more. And with consistency and health in the lineup we have a little wrinkle or two every game to get us buckets. Unfortunately the best wrinkle we ran tonight ended up in a KT missed layup. But it makes us harder to scout and in turn makes us harder to guard