2024 Portal Watch

I believe, if we look back, most fans said our incoming transfers from last year were perhaps good, but not great.  The same was likely said about our incoming freshmen.  Our portal transfers fit like a glove and greatly enhanced our team.

What makes me, at the very least, cautiously optimistic, is that Fred and the staff seemingly know what they are looking for in a player.  So I guess, in Fred we trust.

Umm, with that said, we still need a quality PF who can stretch the floor.

And oh by the way...I believe Sam is going to exponentially improve his 3-ball this coming season.

Edited by Huskerpapa

25 minutes ago, Chuck Taylor said:

I had the same reaction as all of you'd did, but maybe that's just based on Dirk's history as a festering wound.

However, I have to admit this is not exactly the offseason I would have envisioned either: Mast out for next year, Lawrence and Rice leaving, and a transfer class that's good, but not great. 

Be honest, when the season ended, didn't all of you think we'd have Mast and Lawrence back and our success this year would lead to great tranfer pickups? 

Yes, I thought we would have both. Sucks about Mast (really love him) for sure but getting Meah and Morgan is a pretty good back fill.

I thought Lawrence would go back to being a 2 guard off the bench getting probably less minutes. We have made a huge upgrade at point guard with two proven P5 starters, that is big.

Then we bring in 3 high level shooters in Griffiths, Essegian, and Jano so even though you can’t replace KT’s offense we did great and the defense and rebounding at that spot is a large upgrade.

If we get a nice stretch 4 man I think we have upgraded our roster pretty nicely from a really good team last year. It may not be splashy but we would be deep and very well rounded with lots of flexibility. Now we just need them to mesh as a team and build on the last 2 years. 

I am excited but also a glass half full guy when it comes to Husker hoops.

34 minutes ago, Chuck Taylor said:

I had the same reaction as all of you'd did, but maybe that's just based on Dirk's history as a festering wound.

However, I have to admit this is not exactly the offseason I would have envisioned either: Mast out for next year, Lawrence and Rice leaving, and a transfer class that's good, but not great. 

Be honest, when the season ended, didn't all of you think we'd have Mast and Lawrence back and our success this year would lead to great tranfer pickups? 

Honestly? No.

This is a team who made the NCAA tournament but had an early first round exit. Not an NC State team who made a deep run into the tournament.

Lawrence's departure was a surprise. Mast leaving or being placed on a medical redshirt wasn't.

I agree with Fullbacksympathy. I think the gloom has to do with our missing out on the local players in the portal.

That said, I don't think Hoiberg and staff are done searching for a versatile large forward to try to offset the redshirting of Mast.

I look forward to any insights or leads people more connect than I am are, regarding the players we are still looking to add. I recall getting Derrick Walker late in the cycle a few years ago. Let's hope Hoiberg is hunting for one more difference-maker.

6 minutes ago, Po n Tse come to Nebraska said:

I agree with Fullbacksympathy. I think the gloom has to do with our missing out on the local players in the portal.

That said, I don't think Hoiberg and staff are done searching for a versatile large forward to try to offset the redshirting of Mast.

I look forward to any insights or leads people more connect than I am are, regarding the players we are still looking to add. I recall getting Derrick Walker late in the cycle a few years ago. Let's hope Hoiberg is hunting for one more difference-maker.

Between 2024 kids, Jucos, Transfers, and then the side effects of guys staying or going in the draft there are a lot of moving pieces so I'd expect a waiting game and we might not fill this role for months. In other words, there is no list of guys to sit on right now.

5 minutes ago, Fullbacksympathy said:

I usually like Dirk's writing.

I think he's completely wrong about this take.

Among the accolades arriving:

Essegian - All Big 10 Freshman

Morgan - All Summit Second Team

Meah - All Pac 12 Defensive Team

Worster - Stat stuffer at 9/5/5 in the Pac 12

Griffiths - Freak specimen and Top 50 out of HS who showed major flashes as a TFr

Janowski - Top 25 SG out of HS

Frager - Top in-state prospect

That's a ridiculous haul already to go along with Brice and Juwan.  To me it's obvious we're gaining a lot more than we lost. I really don't get the cynicism at this point.  

Being someone who really does not like conflict, I'm gonna agree with both fullbacksympathy and HuskerFever above.  I think the coaching staff did a very good job of rebuilding the roster in the face of some surprise transfers and those whose eligibility expired.  As I have mentioned in a previous post I also feel it will take more sustained success, in the form of repeated NCAA tourney selections and some actual tourney victories, to be able to attract what many feel are elite transfers.

Having said that, ya know the coaching staff did try to get several high level transfers into the system.  For example, one of the first they contacted was Tarris Reed Jr. and I'm not sure he even responded. And course, we all know they tried hard to get William Kyle and Igor to come to Lincoln.  These guys have their own personal reasons for choosing the programs they did.  There is no evidence they consulted with the hhc collective to make their decision.  There are likely other high level transfers they contacted but did not get a response.  This may not make everyone feel better, but one thing I like about the group fullback lists above is that they all seem to have really wanted to come to NU and are excited to be playing for a upper level finish in the Big 10 next season.  While I wish summer would hurry up and get here, I also can't wait for November so we can see this team perform.

48 minutes ago, LincecumFan said:

Being someone who really does not like conflict, I'm gonna agree with both fullbacksympathy and HuskerFever above.  I think the coaching staff did a very good job of rebuilding the roster in the face of some surprise transfers and those whose eligibility expired.  As I have mentioned in a previous post I also feel it will take more sustained success, in the form of repeated NCAA tourney selections and some actual tourney victories, to be able to attract what many feel are elite transfers.

Having said that, ya know the coaching staff did try to get several high level transfers into the system.  For example, one of the first they contacted was Tarris Reed Jr. and I'm not sure he even responded. And course, we all know they tried hard to get William Kyle and Igor to come to Lincoln.  These guys have their own personal reasons for choosing the programs they did.  There is no evidence they consulted with the hhc collective to make their decision.  There are likely other high level transfers they contacted but did not get a response.  This may not make everyone feel better, but one thing I like about the group fullback lists above is that they all seem to have really wanted to come to NU and are excited to be playing for a upper level finish in the Big 10 next season.  While I wish summer would hurry up and get here, I also can't wait for November so we can see this team perform.

Reed, Kyle, Payne, and Meah are fairly similar in that they're defensive anchor centers. They rim protect, they rebound, they don't shoot 3s. Kyle and Reed are better in the sense they have 2 years of eligibility left, though there is no guarantee they won't just move again. 

I think one could argue the merits of these 3 players but the big takeaway to me is that we decided we needed this type of player and we have obtained one that is comparable to the other guys. It seems like we have a plan and built towards it.

My Thoughts

Essegian - Keisei replacement prolly a downgrade

Morgan & Meah - Mast & Allick replacement  Defensive upgrade id say offensive downgrade

Uhlis/Worster - Lawrence replacement  UPGRADE

Janowski/Griffiths - Wilcher/Rice/Lloyd Replacement  UPGRADE

Keita/Diop-Replacement TBD

Edited by TourneyBound

16 minutes ago, TourneyBound said:

My Thoughts

Morgan & Meah - Mast & Allick replacement  Defensive upgrade id say offensive downgrade

Janowski/Griffiths - Rice/Lloyd Replacement  UPGRADE

Brice Williams is the Keisei replacement. Essegian is the Wilcher replacement. If you consider both ends of the floor, I would call this an upgrade.

26 minutes ago, TourneyBound said:

My Thoughts

Janowski/Griffiths - Rice/Lloyd Replacement  UPGRADE

Good comparisons.  A few additional thoughts on a few of the above takes...

* I'm not 100% convinced that any of the players that transferred from our program were surprises to the coaching staff.  Rather, they were given honest, post-season feedback by said coaches.  In fact, a few players may have been told they could stay; but due to anticipated upgrades, they may not see playing time.  For example, JLaw may have been told he wouldn't be playing point guard and he would be in direct competition with Brice, Sam, and Jano at the SG.  Plus, we may even bring in another player in replacement of Keisei.  JLaw may have acknowledged that and knowingly transferred.   Just saying...kind of the same with Eli; especially with his obvious defensive deficiencies. 

* It appears to me that the coaching staff was trying to upgrade toughness, defense and rebounding this cycle.  They did so; but not at the expense of offensive efficiency.   It is tough to compare anyone to Keisei; he honestly is one of a kind.  But we added players that seem to have offensive prowess and are likely stronger and bigger.  

So looking at our team, we still need that power forward who can stretch the floor.  But what we may not be able to replace is the electricity that Keisei brought to the floor and bleachers.  We also need to find the communication, character, cohesion and leadership that last year's team seemingly had.  Those items may certainly be present; but until the season plays out, we will not know for sure 

Edited by Huskerpapa

40 minutes ago, TourneyBound said:

My Thoughts

Janowski/Griffiths - Wilcher/Rice/Lloyd Replacement  UPGRADE

You are forgetting Juwan Gary.  I would say that Morgan and Gary are EVEN with Mast & Allick or an UPGRADE.  I would also say that the replacements for Keita/Diop are Morgan & Meah -- easily an UPGRADE.

40 minutes ago, Vinny said:

Brice Williams is the Keisei replacement. Essegian is the Wilcher replacement. If you consider both ends of the floor, I would call this an upgrade.

Who is the replacement for Brice Williams in this scenario? 

Here’s my issue with anyone critical of our transfer class, none of the basketball scouting services have figured out how to project transfer impact. The top 3 transfer classes on On3 last year went a combined 13-43 in conf play. Meanwhile Bama had 3 transfers out of their top 5 most productive players on a Final 4 team and were rated in the 40s. 

42 minutes ago, HuscurAdam said:

Who is the replacement for Brice Williams in this scenario? 

Worster/Ulis. He was playing point a lot toward the end of the year. 

That’s why I’m not as down on what we’ve added as some people. One more addition that is naturally a four/PF and we won’t have to play so many people needing to play out of position this year. Maybe that’s Bolis. Gary is more of a three than a four and Brice is more of a two than a one. 

7 minutes ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

That would make Griffiths the Williams replacement, I'm not going out on a limb to call that an upgrade.

Not really though, Brice was running point.

I think the main question becomes, can we replace the production we lost ? 

In terms of scoring, Rienk, Keisei, Allick, Laweance, and CJ averaged 49.3 points per game.

Can Griffiths, Essegian, Worster, Ulis, Meah, Morgan, and Jano average around 49 per game ? 

Here is how I see it in terms of ppg hopefuls. 

Worster - 8

Griffiths - 10

Ulis - 7

Essegian - 8

Meah - 6

Morgan - 5

Jano - 4

7 minutes ago, AGHANSEN said:

I think the main question becomes, can we replace the production we lost ? 

In terms of scoring, Rienk, Keisei, Allick, Laweance, and CJ averaged 49.3 points per game.

Can Griffiths, Essegian, Worster, Ulis, Meah, Morgan, and Jano average around 49 per game ? 

Here is how I see it in terms of ppg hopefuls. 

Worster - 8

Griffiths - 10

Ulis - 7

Essegian - 8

Meah - 6

Morgan - 5

Jano - 4

Williams and Gary will probably combine for 10 more points per game simply due to volume increase. A lot of Keisei’s volume will go to Williams and he finished the year on a tear. Brice was the second best 3pt shooter on the team behind CJ…and I think Gary will see a big improvement in his 3 point shot after another full healthy summer of learning under Fred. 

Edited by GhostOfJoeMcCray

1 minute ago, GhostOfJoeMcCray said:

Williams and Gary will probably combine for 10 more points per game simply due to volume increase. A lot of Keisei’s volume will go to Williams and he finished the year on a tear. I think Gary will see a big improvement in his 3 point shot after another full healthy summer of learning under Fred. 

Yes!

I think Williams needs to average around 15-16 and Gary needs to be in the 13-14 range. 

Dirk likes to push peoples buttons. He is talented but he goes for the “I hate you and want to argue with you” clicks.

When this team was sucking we had a few splash guys, mainly Bryce McGowens… it didn’t work.

I am 100% on the idea of building a team of guys who understand what you are trying to achieve and know their role… no ego.

I think Fred knows what now works and is adding those guys.

What I see out of the current group is some very talented guys who understand their role.

I trust Fred and am excited at a stronger depth chart. Don’t see one guy as needing to dominate for us to win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, Minnesota_Husker said:

Dirk likes to push peoples buttons. He is talented but he goes for the “I hate you and want to argue with you” clicks.

When this team was sucking we had a few splash guys, mainly Bryce McGowens… it didn’t work.

I am 100% on the idea of building a team of guys who understand what you are trying to achieve and know their role… no ego.

I think Fred knows what now works and is adding those guys.

What I see out of the current group is some very talented guys who understand their role.

I trust Fred and am excited at a stronger depth chart. Don’t see one guy as needing to dominate for us to win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You should see Dirk coach his son’s youth basketball games.  He’s the Bo Pelini of youth basketball.