uneblinst's postgame chatter: vol 16; ed 23 - Illinois

7 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

A line-up of: BWill, KT, CJ, Mast, and JW should have open driving lanes for JW and BWill all over the place. Those two should live at the FT line. We'd have to get those calls, of course, but in theory anyways. 

That's the one element that hasn't been fully unleashed, living at the line, it's what helps win in March Madness. I presume JW is supposed to have been JG, but I dunno.... 

Edited by AuroranHusker

57 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

I have heard people say that what this team is missing is a James Palmer or Terran Petteway... Which I kind of agree with - but the thing is - it's literally on the roster. That could easily be Brice Williams. He's got the length, athleticism, 3-Level scoring ability, etc... 

This staff needs to figure out Brice Williams. He is not lazy, he is not uninspired or unemotional, as people have said - the dude clearly cares and is giving it his all. It seems to me to be more of a confidence issue. They've gotta figure out a way to get him confident and recognize that he could be a dude. This guy has the tools to score ~18-20 a game or so. 

If they can figure out a way to unlock Brice from ear to ear, that will unlock this season in my opinion. 

I was saying this all night to my father in law, Illinois in the top the of the second half was killing is getting to the basket anytime they wanted. We need a James Palmer type, I like Brice but he dosent have that mentality that James had, we’re a top 15 team if we have James on this team 

14 hours ago, Silverbacked1 said:

That seems to be how the Big is officiated.  Just play like you want, hit, grab, push, just dare the refs to call something,.

Then when they do, raise Holy Hell at the officials and let the crowd also intimidate the other team and ref the rest of the night.

I think how they call the game in this league has really hurt our teams in the post season.  You try the things that they let the players do during the last what 20 games and then different crew says nope… calls everything and suddenly we (Big 10  teams) can’t change.

This is why I think if we make the NCAA tourney we'll have a chance. 

KT gets absolutely mauled as he tries to get open. When he struggles as he has the last couple of games I tend to give him lots of grace. I've re-watched stretches of the last couple of games and he gets grabbed, a lot. He also gets bumped and pushed.

I also think teams get away with a lot of over-the-back, especially against our guards. I held my breath when KT went down after he was kicked in the head by an no-call over the back.

36 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

This is why I think if we make the NCAA tourney we'll have a chance. 

KT gets absolutely mauled as he tries to get open. When he struggles as he has the last couple of games I tend to give him lots of grace. I've re-watched stretches of the last couple of games and he gets grabbed, a lot. He also gets bumped and pushed.

I also think teams get away with a lot of over-the-back, especially against our guards. I held my breath when KT went down after he was kicked in the head by an no-call over the back.

I couldn’t decide yesterday who got mugged more off the ball.  CJ or Keisei.  Honestly that’s why CJ didn’t have the best game.  KT can hit a three from anywhere at any time no matter if someone is in his face or not.  CJ needs to have that little bit of separation which Illinois was not going to give.

1 hour ago, bobcat402 said:

I was saying this all night to my father in law, Illinois in the top the of the second half was killing is getting to the basket anytime they wanted. We need a James Palmer type, I like Brice but he dosent have that mentality that James had, we’re a top 15 team if we have James on this team 

If given the choice between a Palmer clone or a Watson clone, I would choose a Watson clone.  We need a PG in the worst way.  I think we don't lose to Minnesota,  Rutgers, or last night with Watson. That would make us 19 - 4, and in the thick of the conference race.

I commend Lawrence for giving it a try, but he is not ready. 

45 minutes ago, brfrad said:

If given the choice between a Palmer clone or a Watson clone, I would choose a Watson clone.  We need a PG in the worst way.  I think we don't lose to Minnesota,  Rutgers, or last night with Watson. That would make us 19 - 4, and in the thick of the conference race.

I think your prediction of 19-4 is correct if either one of those two are on this team. But if I had to pick which clone...it's Watson too. 

Nebraska has Ahron Ulis on the roster, but since he's accused on gambling on Iowa football, instead of being an alleged rapist, he is unable to play, whereas Terrence Shannon is out there takin' it to NU all night. It's disgusting, and despicable.

What I'm saying is that NU has a true PG on the roster, but he's unable to go. Uggh, that duality frustrated me on Sunday to no end. Can you tell?

4 hours ago, KZRider said:

It was bad to be sure but it doesn't hold a candle in my mind to how awful the Rutgers game was called. Which should only serve to highlight how bad officiating is when Nebraska is involved. It is hard not to think it is purposefully bad.

That foul with 3 seconds let in regulation to give Illinois free throws and a chance to win was fucking unbelievable. I wanted to punch my TV when that was called. There were lots of other terrible calls as others have pointed out but that one changed the game. We won the game if not for that crap foul!

3 minutes ago, BigTate said:

That foul with 3 seconds let in regulation to give Illinois free throws and a chance to win was fucking unbelievable. I wanted to punch my TV when that was called. There were lots of other terrible calls as others have pointed out but that one changed the game. We won the game if not for that crap foul!

Right. That one sticks out because of timing, but also because the officials were going with the prison rules (no felony, no penalty) all game then call that touch foul.

27 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Could be wrong but don't think the ref caused us to give up 3+ offensive rebounds after missed Illini FTs

Directly no. But 21 fouls to 11 and 28 FT to 14 suggest the were complicit. Not to mention the multiple over the back/displacement fouls that were not called on Illinois. I get we need to make plays, but when the two teams that are playing are playing by two different sets of rules and two different ways they are being officiated it's definitely on the refs. 

2 hours ago, brfrad said:

Or, if they just had Ulis available off the bench to occasionally handle pressure defense and Keita available to occasionally go in and stabilize the middle defensively and grab a rebound, they would probably be at least 18-5, and possibly better.

35 minutes ago, BigTate said:

And what makes it even worse is the ref that called the foul was behind CJ so had no angle to see any contact.  The ref that had the correct angle to make the call didn't blow his whistle.  Based on how physical they were letting them play all game, there is no way you can make that call.  

I'm going to throw this out there as fodder for discussion.   At the point of that game with just several seconds remaining and a one point lead; I believe we only had three team fouls.  Why didn't we foul on the floor two or three times to waste away 2-3 seconds each time???

6 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

I'm going to throw this out there as fodder for discussion.   At the point of that game with just several seconds remaining and a one point lead; I believe we only had three team fouls.  Why didn't we foul on the floor two or three times to waste away 2-3 seconds each time???

Nebraska was at six fouls at the time.

11 hours ago, basketballjones said:

I have heard people say that what this team is missing is a James Palmer or Terran Petteway... Which I kind of agree with - but the thing is - it's literally on the roster. That could easily be Brice Williams. He's got the length, athleticism, 3-Level scoring ability, etc... 

This staff needs to figure out Brice Williams. He is not lazy, he is not uninspired or unemotional, as people have said - the dude clearly cares and is giving it his all. It seems to me to be more of a confidence issue. They've gotta figure out a way to get him confident and recognize that he could be a dude. This guy has the tools to score ~18-20 a game or so. 

If they can figure out a way to unlock Brice from ear to ear, that will unlock this season in my opinion. 

I agree to a point. JPJ was not a quick blow bye kind of guy similar to Brice, but he was great at changing pace (sometimes seemingly impossibly able given his quickness) to the rim and finish or get fouled. He just had a knack of scoring around the rim. Brice is a different kind of shot maker. I don’t think he has that get to rim and finish type of game. 

I tend to think we have players that can go to the basket.  What I have issues with is that we tend to approach the basket with finesse, rather than aggression.   I can understand that approach with Keisei,  but not with anyone else.  Shoot, even Josiah was falling away with his inside shots.  Sam goes fairly hard...but that is about it.

42 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

I tend to think we have players that can go to the basket.  What I have issues with is that we tend to approach the basket with finesse, rather than aggression.   I can understand that approach with Keisei,  but not with anyone else.  Shoot, even Josiah was falling away with his inside shots.  Sam goes fairly hard...but that is about it.

That's why it is so frustrating when they continue to miss bunnies, it's inexcusable. 

10 hours ago, Serenity Now said:

I agree to a point. JPJ was not a quick blow bye kind of guy similar to Brice, but he was great at changing pace (sometimes seemingly impossibly able given his quickness) to the rim and finish or get fouled. He just had a knack of scoring around the rim. Brice is a different kind of shot maker. I don’t think he has that get to rim and finish type of game. 

You're splitting hairs. I am just talking about a go-to, versatile, athletic, long wing who can go be a dude when you need it. 

20 hours ago, brfrad said:

22 hours ago, basketballjones said:

The guy we're really missing off this team is one we recruited (again) and didn't get (again) . . . Hunter Sallis, an long, athletic driver as your primary ball handler who also happens to be a lock-down defender. Imaging replacing J-Law with this stat line:

image.png 

We would be a Sweet 16 team at minimum IMHO. But alas, he sought out greener pastures at...Wake Forest?

Edited by HuscurAdam

8 minutes ago, HuscurAdam said:

But alas, he sought out greener pastures at...Wake Forest?

Who, coincidentally, is wayyy more bubbly than we are.  They appear in just 3/88 brackets on bracket matrix.

Predictive metrics are good (opposite of ours) but their result based metrics are rough (also opposite of ours).

They also have 0 Q1 wins.

IMG_1880.jpeg

11 hours ago, Serenity Now said:

Brice is more of an Andrew White type scorer than a JPJ/Petteway type scorer. Would be better off the ball as a catch and shoot guy. If he takes 2+ dribbles inside the arc, he's at risk of falling down, getting stripped or dribbling the ball off his foot.