uneblinst's postgame chatter: vol 16; ed 15 - Wisconsin

Not many teams in the country win that game today in their place with the way Wisky played. When their bench guys are hitting 3s at that clip, it's going to be a long day. Plus no drop off defensively when their bench guys come in.

Kills me to say it, as I think I hate Wisky's program and the way they play more than any other, but that is an easy Sweet 16 team when they're on ... and maybe more.  We'll see whether they get away with the constant holding and hand checking defensively and the moving screens offensively when they're in the NCAA tourney, but they still might be deep enough and good enough to overcome a tightly called game.

Honestly, I didn't think we played that poorly, especially offensively. We made some tough shots.

I would've liked to see us try a zone or something defensively, but not sure it would've mattered today. Wisky had us scouted perfectly and they executed.

Wisconsin played extremely well.  They had four players with above average games and three who had exceptional games.  

Our defense was rather offensive.  

Our team had three players that played average.  The remainder of our team played well below their mean.  

That said, we always seemed ready to take advantage if Wisconsin faltered.   They never did.

We move on.

As frustrating as that was to watch, I don’t think it’s a big deal. We lost on a BIG road game to a ranked team that is top of the league. We just can’t let this hurt us more than once.

On to Purdue, and then two more road games. If we can grab one of the next 3 I’ll be content. If we can grab 2 I’d be elated. 

Not upset.  I saw plenty of effort and we scored the ball fine.  Wiscy has really figured out their offense.  Best they’ve looked as a team since Kaminsky. 

Wiscy is at the top of the conference records for a reason.  They may very well be the best team in the B1G.  Two of their three losses were to top 10 teams, and the other to Providence who is ranked.  They also handled Marquette by double digits who was ranked 7th. 

This was nothing like Minnesota.  So that’s good.  

I think we’ve got a prayer against Purdue at home.  

this is just a tough stretch. Honestly, I"m pleased we're not in the basement. I was hoping we could keep the score tighter today because getting blown out = poll punishment that has to get overcome down the road. 

still, this is a tough stretch ahead. Purdue's going to be the one game I'm certain we'll lose at home all things being equal. 

realistically, we need to win 1 of the next 3 and keep the losses as tight as we can. 

we'll get our chance to put together a small streak of our own down schedule. 

You tell me we would shoot 49% from the floor and 46% from the 3 and we would lose by double digits I wouldn't believe you.

At around the 12min mark WI had a nice little run to get the game to double digits and we just couldn't get back in the game. 

I don't like Mast attempting 7 3pt shots. We also only had 3 guys in double figures when we usually have at least 4.

JG and JL did not play well.

We only had 3 guys in double figures when we typically have 4+

The difference was points in the paint with WI having a 36 to to 18 advantage. We essentially played them even in the 2nd half.

There was a couple of times during the game when I thought the wheels where going to fall off and fought back.

This is just one of those BIG road games. Lets see if we can pull an upset against Purdue on Tuesday.

Watching a Nebraska kid recruited by the Huskers compete against the Huskers always amazes me—on future notoriety, alone.

They are forgoing, as a local kid, the fan interest and intensity that has filled a stadium for decades through thick and thin, that filled the same stadium beyond capacity for a volleyball game, that puts high numbers of fans in a basketball arena despite limited success, that has been filling a baseball stadium for a long time, etc.

That’s giving up a lot to be just another player somewhere else.

3 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

Watching a Nebraska kid recruited by the Huskers compete against the Huskers always amazes me—on future notoriety, alone.

They are forgoing, as a local kid, the fan interest and intensity that has filled a stadium for decades through thick and thin, that filled the same stadium beyond capacity for a volleyball game, that puts high numbers of fans in a basketball arena despite limited success, that has been filling a baseball stadium for a long time, etc.

Beyond the notoriety and respect, I would have to think it hurts them financially. I imagine Sam G coming home has helped him.

Not much to say. Wisky was on their game and I could tell early when they were splashing threes (after hearing they were not a great shooting team) and we were doubling them up in fouls that it would not go our way. I was happy with the way the guys battled and thought they actually played fairly well as a whole. I thought Sam forced things a lot more than usual which led to some uncharacteristic turnovers, and we could have tried some defensive adjustments. Mostly I give credit to Wisconsin for a great gameplan and making tough shots. GBR!

55 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

Playing at home couldn't outweigh the fit there was at Wisconsin plus Matt A having landed Jervay Green and Cam Mack. I think we went after him HARD on the d/l this off-season but it obviously was a no-go. At the end of the day this was one of the likely trade-offs for changing coaches and we get one more year to try and beat him.

1 hour ago, Swan88 said:

NIL will continue to change that equation for many players. Loyalty is few and far between.

Not to beat a dead horse; but it was my understanding that we all but locked up Xavier Johnson, Chuckle Hepburn and Donovan Williams; but all three went elsewhere when Miles was terminated.  That may have been a byproduct of the arrival of Matt A as well.

Edited by Huskerpapa

1 hour ago, Huskerpapa said:

Not to beat a dead horse; but it was my understanding that we all but locked up Xavier Johnson, Chuckle Hepburn and Donovan Williams; but all three went elsewhere when Miles was terminated.  That may have been a byproduct of the arrival of Matt A as well.

Xavier was before miles was terminated. He left the recruiting class because Kenya Hunter left for UConn I believe. Chucky was leaning us I believe and Donovan left the class because of abdelmassih and Teddy Allen (I think)