uneblinst's postgame chatter: vol 16; ed 9 - Minnesota

hhcmatt

1 minute ago, Ron Mexico said:

It's impossible to rank them because those 1st 2yrs would have to be on sliding scale.

We've lost to worst teams, however this game has the feel of one of the worst losses.

We'll know more in a few weeks after teams get conference games under their belt.

Once again in the 2nd half we go away from what was working in the 1st half because well....why not.

What I can't stand is watching a team quit playing.

What we do know for sure though is that their BEST player didn’t even play. 

That 2nd half was the most embarrassing half of Nebraska basketball I can remember watching, and that is saying A LOT considering the context of Nebraska basketball. I had high hopes for this team, but I did not previously understand the impact the loss of Griesel and Walker would have on this year's team.  There was no fire or pride on display last night. They looked great when things were going good then folded like a dollar store lawn chair at the first sign of adversity; Sam and Derrick would never have allowed that to happen. It would be nice if the head coach could instill that in his players instead of hoping we get great player-leaders each year.  Instead of a fun winter on the bubble, it looks likely there will be a long, cold winter of coaching speculation...

image.png

Should be a cacophony of alarms going off right now going off at the Hendricks Center.

• How can a team with this many D-1 minutes / games under its belt completely lack poise when things start to turn?
  • Why does everyone on our bench -- in uniform and out -- look like deer in the headlights when the game starts to flip ... and then for several minutes after it flips?
  • I could sense the momentum going in the wrong direction 2 minutes into the section half through the TV screen. Why can no one on our side sense it inside the building and change things up -- anything -- to force our guys to ramp up the intensity?
  • How can we turn the ball over on the first or second action of a possession so many times without adjusting?
  • Why would we substitute less -- rather than looking for someone to give us a spark off the bench -- when things are crashing and burning like they were in the 2nd half? Try Rice. Try Boogie and move JL to the 2. Try Diop. Try something.
  • When things are going that poorly on offense, the best way out of it -- especially on the road -- is to crank up the defensive effort & start bloodying noses on the boards. Why did we have no one do that?

We'd better have our screws and bolts tightened up before Sunday because Izzo and crew are going to come in here pissed off, looking for a fist fight, and expecting to win. Can we say the same about Fred and our team?

9 hours ago, Faux Mike Peltz said:

He also specifically used the words “our guys have to make a conscious effort to find Keisei, especially in transition when he’s open” 

Wish someone would follow up with “at times it doesn’t seem like certain guys want to pass to him…” 🤔🤔

KT doesn't usually give up the ball until after he's exhausted his chances at getting a shot. So teammates often get the ball back after waiting to see what he does. when they're not in a position to score themselves. I know he's our meal ticket, but 0.7 assists per game is pretty telling and might be the reason some are reluctant to give him the ball.

1 hour ago, throwback said:

• Why would we substitute less -- rather than looking for someone to give us a spark off the bench -- when things are crashing and burning like they were in the 2nd half? Try Rice. Try Boogie and move JL to the 2. Try Diop. Try something.

Agreed with just about everything in here outside of trying Boogie.  I saw enough of the effort Boogie put out in his limited minutes last night to last me for a few games at least.  Dude allowed his guy to get like 3 offensive boards in back to back possessions.  Then picked up a lazy foul because he didn't play D.  I'd rather try Cale and Rice than Boogie.  At least Cale would have the Nebraska kid flavor and may take a poor team effort like that to heart.

• 1 month later...