2023-24 Burning Questions

hhcmatt

18 minutes ago, thrasher31 said:

My biggest question this year is who's the primary set initiators? Lawrence and Coleman obviously make sense. Wonder if they use keiseis shooting gravity to run some sets for some guys with the ball in his hands, but he'll need to be able to make passes. 

Good question. I’ve heard Fred mention Williams can initiate as well and wouldn’t be surprised to see Mast / Allieck play that role a bit like Walker

52 minutes ago, Art Vandalay said:

Good question. I’ve heard Fred mention Williams can initiate as well and wouldn’t be surprised to see Mast / Allieck play that role a bit like Walker

Fred's offense tends to allow flexibility in who initiates the offense.  During a game various players will likely fill that role.  However, based on what we seem to be hearing, the two likely main facilitators will be Lawrence and Coleman.

By the way, we have not heard any definitive suspension word on the third possible candidate,  Ahron Ulis.

2 hours ago, cipsucks said:

While watching the game, focusing on the Husker recruits, and Kellogg, Trotter and Lazzaretti, the one player that impressed us the most was Bart Kofoed.  We left saying, that Kofoed kid was the best player on the court tonight. You just never know. 

That would be former Kearney St and Utah Jazz guard Bart Kofoed.

28 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

That would be former Kearney St and Utah Jazz guard Bart Kofoed.

Played a few pick up games with him.  It did not surprise anyone at KSC when he threw that punch that probably ended his career.   He might have been the best of that class that was the best class in Nebraska high school history.

44 minutes ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

Played a few pick up games with him.  It did not surprise anyone at KSC when he threw that punch that probably ended his career.   He might have been the best of that class that was the best class in Nebraska high school history.

I remember Fort Hays St. was in town and they had a transfer on their roster from Kansas St. who was supposed to be pretty good (if I recall correctly he was around 6'6" and athletic). Bart pretty much did what he wanted against him on the offensive end. Certainly a talented player.

2 hours ago, hugh42 said:

I remember Fort Hays St. was in town and they had a transfer on their roster from Kansas St. who was supposed to be pretty good (if I recall correctly he was around 6'6" and athletic). Bart pretty much did what he wanted against him on the offensive end. Certainly a talented player.

I remember watching one of his first NBA games and he was guarding my idol Magic Johnson.  Pretty cool to see a kid from Kearney State do that.  I believe he started his career at Hastings College before transferring to be a Loper.

12 hours ago, Art Vandalay said:

It'll primarily be Lawrence and boogie I imagine, but I'm interested in what wrinkles Fred uses to get keisei looks or even Brice looks. CJ had a good summer passing the ball on the overseas trip if I remember right for example. DHOs with mast/allick with a cutter along the baseline. I trust Fred as his offenses have generally had good assist numbers his time here. Just question it a bit

On 10/24/2023 at 8:40 AM, hhcmatt said:

1. How fast will the Huskers play this season?  Last year was the slowest of the HCFH era not only in terms of Adjusted Tempo but both offensively and defensively in Average Possession Length (APL).  KenPom has Nebraska at a speed in between 2021-22 and 2022-23. Where will they actually be? 

tempo.png

2. Can Nebraska remain undefeated going into December? (BTW the best start for Nebraska this century as been 6-0).  Duquesne is ranked like a low end conference opponent by KenPom 

image.png

3. Who will lead Nebraska in assists this season? (Last season it was Sam Griesel had the most but Derrick Walker averaged the most)

4. Here are the school season records for 3pt shooting. Are any of them in danger of being broken?

Made:   270, 2018-19 (800 att.)

Conference Made:   167, 2001-02 (447 att.)

Attempted:   800, 2018-19 (270 made)

Conference Attempted:   506, 2019-20 (159 made)

Percentage:   .397, 2009-10 (217-547)

Conference Percentage:   .413, 1986-87 (52-126)

5. Which freshman will play the most minutes: Ramel Lloyd, Eli Rice, Matar Diop, Cale Jacobsen, or Henry Burt

6. Will Nebraska make the NCAA tournament or at least the NIT?

1. I think we will play faster. Heard Fred say a couple times he loves how Lawrence gets the ball upcourt really quickly. It should be fun to watch.

2. Yes

3. Maybe JL but guessing we have 2-3 guys with similar assist numbers

4. I could see # made, hope it would b % but that seems pretty high

5. Going with Rice, slightly ahead of Diop

6. Yes

13 hours ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

I remember watching one of his first NBA games and he was guarding my idol Magic Johnson.  Pretty cool to see a kid from Kearney State do that.  I believe he started his career at Hastings College before transferring to be a Loper.

Coming back from playing in Hawaii for Hastings, Bart found himself throwing up on the plane for some reason and then had to transfer out. I did see him dunk at 12 feet on that hoop Doc Farrell had that could crank up and down. Down for me. 

text here:

Inbox: Big change to bid process for postseason NIT: INDIANAPOLIS — The NIT Board of Managers has announced changes for the 2024 National Invitation Tournament that impact how teams qualify for the NIT. For the 2024 NIT, conference regular season champions that do not win their conference tournament or are not otherwise selected to the NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Championship will not receive an automatic bid to the NIT.  Instead, the NIT will guarantee two teams (based on the NET rankings) from each of six conferences (Atlantic Coast, Big East, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12 and Southeastern). The top two teams in the NET rankings not qualifying for the NCAA men’s basketball tournament from each conference, regardless of won-loss record, will be selected.  Additionally, the 12 teams automatically selected will be guaranteed the opportunity to host a game in the first round of the NIT.

6 minutes ago, 49r said:

text here:

Inbox: Big change to bid process for postseason NIT: INDIANAPOLIS — The NIT Board of Managers has announced changes for the 2024 National Invitation Tournament that impact how teams qualify for the NIT. For the 2024 NIT, conference regular season champions that do not win their conference tournament or are not otherwise selected to the NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Championship will not receive an automatic bid to the NIT.  Instead, the NIT will guarantee two teams (based on the NET rankings) from each of six conferences (Atlantic Coast, Big East, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12 and Southeastern). The top two teams in the NET rankings not qualifying for the NCAA men’s basketball tournament from each conference, regardless of won-loss record, will be selected.  Additionally, the 12 teams automatically selected will be guaranteed the opportunity to host a game in the first round of the NIT.

So basically they're just rewarding cellar dweller P6 schools over low and mid-majors for cash?

1 hour ago, 49r said:

So we can infer that after the top 9 teams from the Big Ten are taken for the NCAA Tournament, the NIT will automatically select teams #10 and #11.  So all we have to do is finish in 11th place or higher to get an NIT berth.

Actually? The way I’m reading it, it’s NET rankings.  So like last year weren’t we above tOSU but below in the NET?  If that’s the case, wouldn’t OSU have made it over us?

1 hour ago, 49r said:

text here:

Guaranteeing bids to conference regular season champions seemed like a good, fair way to do it. So of course they had to change it.

8 hours ago, 49r said:

text here:

I am against this.  The Power Conferences want all the sand boxes to play in. Smaller Conferences have to go home.

4. Here are the school season records for 3pt shooting. Are any of them in danger of being broken?

I think we best at least 3 out of 4 of these records

• 3 weeks later...

Percentage:   .397, 2009-10 (217-547)

Conference Percentage:   .413, 1986-87 (52-126)

Currently hitting 9.2 three pointers per game. If we keep up that pace, we’ll be at 285 for the regular season. Very doable. We’ve pretty consistent, I believe low has been eight made and high, 11. 

1 hour ago, AuroranHusker said:

As long as they're the made variety and not just the attempts. . . early results seem promising on the 'made' front.

We set the regular season record for 3 makes shooting 33.4%, which is certainly obtainable. Those 18-19 numbers were pumped up by us playing 36 games.  Assuming we keep shooting 3s like we do, I think we need to hit about 31% to break the conference record.  These records seem inevitable just by our style of play and a mediocre make rate.