2023-24 Burning Questions

hhcmatt

1. How fast will the Huskers play this season?  Last year was the slowest of the HCFH era not only in terms of Adjusted Tempo but both offensively and defensively in Average Possession Length (APL).  KenPom has Nebraska at a speed in between 2021-22 and 2022-23. Where will they actually be? 

tempo.png

2. Can Nebraska remain undefeated going into December? (BTW the best start for Nebraska this century as been 6-0).  Duquesne is ranked like a low end conference opponent by KenPom 

image.png

3. Who will lead Nebraska in assists this season? (Last season it was Sam Griesel had the most but Derrick Walker averaged the most)

4. Here are the school season records for 3pt shooting. Are any of them in danger of being broken?

Made:   270, 2018-19 (800 att.)

Conference Made:   167, 2001-02 (447 att.)

Attempted:   800, 2018-19 (270 made)

Conference Attempted:   506, 2019-20 (159 made)

Percentage:   .397, 2009-10 (217-547)

Conference Percentage:   .413, 1986-87 (52-126)

5. Which freshman will play the most minutes: Ramel Lloyd, Eli Rice, Matar Diop, Cale Jacobsen, or Henry Burt

6. Will Nebraska make the NCAA tournament or at least the NIT?

35 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

5. Eli Rice most; Matar Diop 2nd.

6. Yes.

Even if Eli is the best freshman on the team, I'm not sure the minutes are there for him this year. The path for Eli to enter the regular rotation seems to be either he beats out CJ for a spot or there is an injury. But the staff loves CJ. Could be wrong, but I just don't think we're going to have an 11 man rotation. 

If Blaise has limited to no availability, there is an opportunity for Matar to have the same role Blaise had last year ~10 mpg, sometimes 20+ min., sometimes no minutes depending on the opponent. 

45 minutes ago, millerhusker said:

Even if Eli is the best freshman on the team, I'm not sure the minutes are there for him this year. The path for Eli to enter the regular rotation seems to be either he beats out CJ for a spot or there is an injury. But the staff loves CJ. Could be wrong, but I just don't think we're going to have an 11 man rotation. 

If Blaise has limited to no availability, there is an opportunity for Matar to have the same role Blaise had last year ~10 mpg, sometimes 20+ min., sometimes no minutes depending on the opponent. 

My ten-deep:

1. Keisei

2. Mast

3. Williams

4. Lawrence/Coleman

5. CJ

6. Coleman/Lawrence

7. Gary/Allick

8. Allick/Gary

9. Rice

10. Diop

Others:

Lloyd

Keita

Ulis

Walk-ons

I think early in the season, we'll probably go ten deep. Later in the season, Hoiberg typically tightens the rotations. But, by then, Eli Rice could sneak into the top 8.

And let me go on record saying "I really like the Rice kid." Also, "I really like the Diop kid." I think those two represent the biggest recruiting steals since Shavon Shields.

6 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

My ten-deep:

1. Keisei

2. Mast

3. Williams

4. Lawrence/Coleman

5. CJ

6. Coleman/Lawrence

7. Gary/Allick

8. Allick/Gary

9. Rice

10. Diop

Others:

Lloyd

Keita

Ulis

Walk-ons

I think early in the season, we'll probably go ten deep. Later in the season, Hoiberg typically tightens the rotations. But, by then, Eli Rice could sneak into the top 8.

And let me go on record saying "I really like the Rice kid." Also, "I really like the Diop kid." I think those two represent the biggest recruiting steals since Shavon Shields.

Fair enough. I agree the talented young players will get early opportunities. I think they'll have shorter leashes this year than in a typical Nebrasketball season. If they can't consistently make good decision and "simple plays", we'll either shorten the rotation or we know what we have in Sam H. and Blaise, if healthy. This team has some goals to achieve and the margin for error is likely thin. That said, if Eli is ready and earns a spot in the rotation, that would be fantastic.  6'8" 215, athletic kid who can shoot it. Seems too good to be true for us. 

I think we will be able to score more consistently and more easily.  The key to this is playing defense like we did last year when we had to to survive.  If we back track in that department we wont be much better.  The good news is that there us no reason whatsoeer that we shouldn't be able to play as good or better defense.  

2 hours ago, millerhusker said:

That said, if Eli is ready and earns a spot in the rotation, that would be fantastic.  6'8" 215, athletic kid who can shoot it. Seems too good to be true for us. 

Shavon Shields came in here unranked as a recruit and stepped right into the starting lineup.

Granted, wasn't much of a starting lineup.  But he was legit 4-star talent who totally snuck under the radar.

On 10/24/2023 at 10:49 AM, Norm Peterson said:

My ten-deep:

1. Keisei

2. Mast

3. Williams

4. Lawrence/Coleman

5. CJ

6. Coleman/Lawrence

7. Gary/Allick

8. Allick/Gary

9. Rice

10. Diop

Others:

Lloyd

Keita

Ulis

Walk-ons

I don't see a way Sam Hoiberg is kept off the court. 

Making predictions is a fool’s errand, so here are mine:

1. Tempo a little faster than last year, but I don’t think we can win if we’re under 50th.
  2. Need to go 7-0 in November. Not difficult at all.
  3. Boogie Coleman leads in assists.
  4. No 3 pt records set, but overall improvement.
  5. Eli Rice for most freshman minutes.
  6. NIT

Analysis: We have a good, not great roster, that is capable of reaching the NCAA. But with so many new faces and valuable lost experience, I just don’t see a magical season ahead. I’d be very happy with NIT.

30 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

I don't see a way Sam Hoiberg is kept off the court. 

It will be interesting but I can’t see him in the top 8. Diop/Blaise will get whatever is left over at the 5 after RM & JA. Then he is fighting for minutes with Rice for the 3rd perimeter guy off the bench. 

Good problem to have.

1 hour ago, Art Vandalay said:

It will be interesting but I can’t see him in the top 8. Diop/Blaise will get whatever is left over at the 5 after RM & JA. Then he is fighting for minutes with Rice for the 3rd perimeter guy off the bench. 

Good problem to have.

Disagree. Purely conjecture - just my opinion there's a better chance Blaise doesn't play and isn't on our roster next year than him playing more minutes than Sam Hoiberg. Just my opinion, I have no "inside info" regarding that. Sam Hoiberg literally, not figuratively, won us multiple games last year. He's no longer a "coach's son walk-on" in my eyes. IMO he's a bonafide rotation piece. Again, no inside info here, I don't think Diop is as ready as people say and the clips show. 

22 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Shavon Shields came in here unranked as a recruit and stepped right into the starting lineup.

Granted, wasn't much of a starting lineup.  But he was legit 4-star talent who totally snuck under the radar.

On the other hand, two of the last six guys we've had that ended up in the NBA didn't make a huge impact their freshman years.

image.png

image.png

32 minutes ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

On the other hand, two of the last six guys we've had that ended up in the NBA didn't make a huge impact their freshman years.

image.png

image.png

No idea if Diop ever comes close to having NBA skills but he certainly has the physical gifts of someone who could while also putting up a nothingburger his freshman year.

1 hour ago, basketballjones said:

Disagree. Purely conjecture - just my opinion there's a better chance Blaise doesn't play and isn't on our roster next year than him playing more minutes than Sam Hoiberg. Just my opinion, I have no "inside info" regarding that. Sam Hoiberg literally, not figuratively, won us multiple games last year. He's no longer a "coach's son walk-on" in my eyes. IMO he's a bonafide rotation piece. Again, no inside info here, I don't think Diop is as ready as people say and the clips show. 

I completely agree. I think of it like this, "Am I at all concerned with this team if Sam is playing 7th - 8th most minutes?"

Nope. Not even a little bit 

I'm affording my same thought process I do to all 2nd year players. He's gonna get better!

And I thought he played exceptionally well last year.

I don't believe the players they brought in can earn more minutes than Sam on measurables alone. They better bring it because I saw Sam play last year. Dude can ball.

Now if they do beat him out that bodes we'll for us. It's really a win win. 

2 hours ago, basketballjones said:

I don’t think Blaise / Diop are top 8 either and I think Diop gets more minutes than Blaise. Neither are in the main rotation of 8 (just my opinion / guess). They are both fighting for minutes at the 5 behind Mast and JA so not a lot of minutes there except for injuries and blowouts. 

I agree Sam is not just a walk on. Who is he beating out for regular minutes though? He will have to beat out Lawrence, Keisei, Williams, Boogie, or CJ to be in the top 8. Maybe CJ but they seem to still be high on him (I don’t disagree with them). I don’t see that happening, so then he’s fighting with Rice for time outside the core rotation. Not a slam on him at all, as I said it’s a great luxury to have a proven guy outside the main rotation.

Now if you tell me Fred is going 9-10 deep on the regular rotation I could see it then.

7 minutes ago, Art Vandalay said:

I don’t think Blaise / Diop are top 8 either and I think Diop gets more minutes than Blaise. Neither are in the main rotation of 8 (just my opinion / guess). They are both fighting for minutes at the 5 behind Mast and JA so not a lot of minutes there except for injuries and blowouts. 

I agree Sam is not just a walk on. Who is he beating out for regular minutes though? He will have to beat out Lawrence, Keisei, Williams, Boogie, or CJ to be in the top 8. Maybe CJ but they seem to still be high on him (I don’t disagree with them). I don’t see that happening, so then he’s fighting with Rice for time outside the core rotation. Not a slam on him at all, as I said it’s a great luxury to have a proven guy outside the main rotation.

Now if you tell me Fred is going 9-10 deep on the regular rotation I could see it then.

I think it's possible he could beat out any person that hasn't played in live action on this team under Fred.

That's not a knock on any of them. It's just I saw Sam play on this team under Fred. The others I haven't.

And over the years there's been too many times someone has come here and done worse here than where they came from. Or didn't make the leap in progress one would expect. Or didn't "fit".

And to be clear I hope Sam is  9th - 10th in min. Be really good for us if they keep him off the court. It means good things. 

1 hour ago, cornfed24-7 said:

I think it's possible he could beat out any person that hasn't played in live action on this team under Fred.

That's not a knock on any of them. It's just I saw Sam play on this team under Fred. The others I haven't.

And over the years there's been too many times someone has come here and done worse here than where they came from. Or didn't make the leap in progress one would expect. Or didn't "fit".

And to be clear I hope Sam is  9th - 10th in min. Be really good for us if they keep him off the court. It means good things. 

Definitely a point I can agree with, it is definitely possible. In that case he’d have to beat out Williams or Boogie. That could happen but it would be pretty surprising to me. However as a Husker hoops fan I’ve been unpleasantly surprised before. I’m just commenting on what I expect to happen.

8 hours ago, basketballjones said:

My opinion is if Sam is playing any meaningful minutes, something bad has happened. I also believe Jacobson can do everything Sam can and is twice the athlete.