What will our rotation look like next year?

I kinda feel bad for Trevor Lakes. From the sounds of things, he's been shooting lights out in practices. His shoulder is finally fixed and he seems to have fully recovered. I wish I knew he was having shoulder problems last season; I would probably have gone easier on him in anything I posted.

We're set to lose Verge and Kobe to exhausting their eligibility and the McGowens brothers to the pros. Lat Mayen, it's been speculated, could leave after this year to pursue pro opportunities in Australia.

Trevor Lakes could potentially be a rotation player on next year's team. Except he doesn't get a next year. And, this year, fortunately for us and unfortunately for him, we're stacked. How many of the last 20 years would we have LOVED to have a guy like him?

I agree Norm.  I figured he was Kavas 2.0.  Just another guy who couldn’t shoot with that N on the jersey.  Knowing his story now, it is easy to envision a role for him as a sniper coming in off the bench.  Like many things in life, timing is critical and it doesn’t appear to be playing out well for Lakes.  He may have a few moments here and there but probably few and far between.  If we are unfortunate with a front court injury, though, he gives us a guy I think most of us would be comfortable sliding into the rotation.

6 hours ago, hskr4life said:

I could see Lakes being the "who TF is this guy and why is he making all these threes tonight" against a few teams this year.  Kind of like every conference game we play where some random dude goes off for 15-20.

Exactly - someone find Lakes a Kipper Nichols jersey to wear, tape NEBRASKA over the top of the ILLINOIS on the front & he'll be golden.

15 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

I kinda feel bad for Trevor Lakes. From the sounds of things, he's been shooting lights out in practices. His shoulder is finally fixed and he seems to have fully recovered. I wish I knew he was having shoulder problems last season; I would probably have gone easier on him in anything I posted.

We're set to lose Verge and Kobe to exhausting their eligibility and the McGowens brothers to the pros. Lat Mayen, it's been speculated, could leave after this year to pursue pro opportunities in Australia.

Trevor Lakes could potentially be a rotation player on next year's team. Except he doesn't get a next year. And, this year, fortunately for us and unfortunately for him, we're stacked. How many of the last 20 years would we have LOVED to have a guy like him?

I hope so but it also seems like a kid who will leave to make room for another player. I hope I'm wrong and you're right about his shooting improving. The biggest issue the past few years has probably been just starting over with a brand new roster so some continuity would be great.

17 hours ago, huskerbill85 said:

I hope so but it also seems like a kid who will leave to make room for another player. I hope I'm wrong and you're right about his shooting improving. The biggest issue the past few years has probably been just starting over with a brand new roster so some continuity would be great.

Can guarantee Lakes will not be playing for us next year

On 10/15/2021 at 7:56 AM, millerhusker said:

Washut is now projeting Wilhelm to replace Walker in the starting lineup. If he’s an upgrade over Walker already as a true freshman, that’s huge. Derrick was one of our most consistent players last year. 

Wow.   

10 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

I’m pretty surprised.

I mean, if he’s good enough to leapfrog Walker and climb into the starting lineup, that obviously says something really good about our talent level.

But I did not see that coming.

Norm I think you pretty much said it.  Your 3-3 with my reaction to Miller's news.  

Again, starters versus finishers.  Walker sometimes got into early foul trouble which took him out of games; at least to a certain extent.   He also is mature enough to understand and embrace his role on the team.  This arguably makes the team stronger.  

I again make the argument that the rotation is much more important than who starts.  Shoot, one of the best players of all time was best known as the 6th man on his team.  

I also believe many people underestimated the talent Wilhelm Breidenbach brought to Lincoln.  He is able to open the floor with his outside game, use either hand seamlessly while in the paint, bang with big boys, box out, set picks (and roll or pop) defend, run, handle the ball and rebound.

Yes, I am somewhat geeked over his talent and potential. 

8 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

Again, starters versus finishers.  Walker sometimes got into early foul trouble which took him out of games; at least to a certain extent.   He also is mature enough to understand and embrace his role on the team.  This arguably makes the team stronger.  

I again make the argument that the rotation is much more important than who starts.  Shoot, one of the best players of all time was best known as the 6th man on his team.  

I also believe many people underestimated the talent Wilhelm Breidenbach brought to Lincoln.  He is able to open the floor with his outside game, use either hand seamlessly while in the paint, bang with big boys, box out, set picks (and roll or pop) defend, run, handle the ball and rebound.

Yeah, doesn't really matter who starts the game. Putting Wilhelm in this starting lineup is probably just about fit and which players complement each other. Bryce and Lat were the only two that we would consider "shooters" in the starting 5 as it was. Although statistically Trey had a good year shooting the three ball last season, he and Verge probably do their best work off the dribble when they have shooters around them to space the floor. Wilhelm will help give them more room. We have plenty of shooters in our bench rotation - Keisei, CJ, Kobe, Keon, Trevor - so putting Derrick and his ability to pass out of the post with them makes sense. 

I've said in the past Wilhelm is the most talented big man we've recruited since at least Dave Hoppen, but I'm still surprised to hear him and "starting lineup" mentioned together. I was thinking he'd be an ideal 6th man, coming off the bench for either Walker or Mayen. But he's only gone through a summer of college strength and conditioning and he's like a high school kid, skinny as a bean pole.

If he jumps over Walker, that's a big statement, I don't care what anyone else says. Walker is more than just a returning starter. As @millerhusker said above, Derrick was one of our steadiest, most consistent players a year ago. He's strong as hell. He can defend the post. Remember, he gave Kofi Cockburn fits. He shot 60% from the floor. And he contributed about 12 pts and 9 1/2 rebounds every 40 minutes.

So, I mean, if Heem is good enough to leap over Walker to jump into the starting lineup, regardless what the rationale is, that's a big statement. Big statement. Don't downplay it. JMO.

On 10/16/2021 at 9:39 AM, Huskerpapa said:

You can't exactly finish with Walker as he's a terrible FT shooter

19 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

I've said in the past Wilhelm is the most talented big man we've recruited since at least Dave Hoppen, but I'm still surprised to hear him and "starting lineup" mentioned together. I was thinking he'd be an ideal 6th man, coming off the bench for either Walker or Mayen. But he's only gone through a summer of college strength and conditioning and he's like a high school kid, skinny as a bean pole.

If he jumps over Walker, that's a big statement, I don't care what anyone else says. Walker is more than just a returning starter. As @millerhusker said above, Derrick was one of our steadiest, most consistent players a year ago. He's strong as hell. He can defend the post. Remember, he gave Kofi Cockburn fits. He shot 60% from the floor. And he contributed about 12 pts and 9 1/2 rebounds every 40 minutes.

So, I mean, if Heem is good enough to leap over Walker to jump into the starting lineup, regardless what the rationale is, that's a big statement. Big statement. Don't downplay it. JMO.

Heem looked bigger than Walker to me at the scrimmage.  They are definitely within 10lbs of one another.  Heem is over 230 now and has 2-3 inches on Walker.  Looks like the kid has the same motor for the weight room as he does for the court.