Jump to content
uneblinstu

2020 G Donovan Williams

Recommended Posts

On 12/19/2019 at 8:45 AM, NebrasketballJake said:

Iowa State was his first D1 offer and their staff has been to see him the most I believe. Wouldn't count the Clones out either. And I don't think Bill Self will be in Lawrence in the fall of 2021. However Hunter and Donovan are buddies and I've seen them at various other high school games together, so we'll see. 

 

Drake was his first D-I offer, in April of 2018. Ole Miss was his first high-major offer, in August. Then Creighton, then Iowa State, then Nebraska all in the span of 9-10 days in late August/early September. Then the rest of the offers started flooding in this past summer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

Give me Iowa St and in the future he's the player to be named later in the Michael Jacobson trade.


Speaking of... was watching some highlights the other day and Jacobson is still playing for ISU.  Must be his Sr year?  Anywho... I thought he was done after last year but I guess not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/19/2019 at 8:52 AM, hhcmatt said:

 

This.

 

Feels like Nebraska will be fine and Williams will be fine.  Nebraska has their coach of the future and we can bring in dudes. Williams is a fierce competitor and he more than likely will be successful in college and beyond.  With all due respect to Easley (who probably ends up on scholarship 2nd semester), it's a tragedy that we're this close to landing a Lincoln kid on scholarship for the first time since Jake Muhleisen. 

I guess I'm still trying to figure out if this staff is proactive or reactive when it comes to recruiting.  I'm a little bit of a skeptic at this point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, HuskerCager said:

I guess I'm still trying to figure out if this staff is proactive or reactive when it comes to recruiting.  I'm a little bit of a skeptic at this point.

 

To me it seems like we were proactive in this instance as the last draw for Williams was us signing Teddy Allen. Not sure how much it would matter for the staff to have actually seen him in action as he's been injured since he started...are we more aggressive with him had he been tearing up AAU last summer?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is all laughable. He had the opportunity to sign in November and chose not to. Lol. Cmon you guys are all smarter than this and know dudes like this. Type of guy who wants everyone else to look like the bad guy and can’t take ownership. You all know this dude/kid. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, basketballjones said:

This is all laughable. He had the opportunity to sign in November and chose not to. Lol. Cmon you guys are all smarter than this and know dudes like this. Type of guy who wants everyone else to look like the bad guy and can’t take ownership. You all know this dude/kid. 

Spot on right here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, basketballjones said:

This is all laughable. He had the opportunity to sign in November and chose not to. Lol. Cmon you guys are all smarter than this and know dudes like this. Type of guy who wants everyone else to look like the bad guy and can’t take ownership. You all know this dude/kid. 

 

Unfortunately, I'm beginning to reach the same conclusion.

 

Makes me think perhaps we dodged a bullet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I noticed it the other day and looking at his "likes" on Twitter he's letting his feelings be known about Fred. 

 

In my opinion best to just move on. I want him to be successful because he's a Lincoln kid. But I feel regardless of where he goes he's going to be humbled really quick. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, thrasher31 said:

 

In my opinion best to just move on.

 

 

I definitely agree with this part

 

 

25 minutes ago, thrasher31 said:

 

 

I want him to be successful because he's a Lincoln kid.

 

 

I also very much agree here

 

 

24 minutes ago, thrasher31 said:

 

But I feel regardless of where he goes he's going to be humbled really quick.

 

 

I'm not so sure I agree that this will/should happen though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/21/2019 at 10:53 PM, Norm Peterson said:

 

Unfortunately, I'm beginning to reach the same conclusion.

 

Makes me think perhaps we dodged a bullet.

 

Thankfully we went with the kid that's one ejection away from getting suspended from JUCO basketball the rest of the season. I'm sure his attitude is much better for the locker room. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 12/21/2019 at 8:43 PM, basketballjones said:

This is all laughable. He had the opportunity to sign in November and chose not to. Lol. Cmon you guys are all smarter than this and know dudes like this. Type of guy who wants everyone else to look like the bad guy and can’t take ownership. You all know this dude/kid. 

 

This is the Hoiberg era; we will recruit the type of personality you are panning here 24/7 if we think he's a difference maker.  Besides his offensive mind the point of HCFH is he has the gravitas that it takes to put together a team filled with divas. What is possibly one more, especially given off the court he is a net positive?

 

To me it seems like the staff thinks he's good enough to come here but not he's not a difference maker to the point where we need to make sure he comes here. Questions to be answered that seem to me like they matter:

  • Who are we using his scholarship for?
  • Is DW a difference maker and if so, when does that happen?
  • Will there be a price to pay for letting the highest regarded recruit this decade from Lincoln walk?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

 

 

This is the Hoiberg era; we will recruit the type of personality you are panning here 24/7 if we think he's a difference maker.  Besides his offensive mind the point of HCFH is he has the gravitas that it takes to put together a team filled with divas. What is possibly one more, especially given off the court he is a net positive?

 

To me it seems like the staff thinks he's good enough to come here but not he's not a difference maker to the point where we need to make sure he comes here. Questions to be answered that seem to me like they matter:

  • Who are we using his scholarship for?
  • Is DW a difference maker and if so, when does that happen?
  • Will there be a price to pay for letting the highest regarded recruit this decade from Lincoln walk?

 

He's already getting interest from Ohio State, Alabama, and Virginia Tech.... I mean this wasn't some Summit League talent like people are inferring. The only reason he has exclusively low major offers right now is because of how early he committed and his injury. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, OmahaHusker said:

 

He's already getting interest from Ohio State, Alabama, and Virginia Tech.... I mean this wasn't some Summit League talent like people are inferring. The only reason he has exclusively low major offers right now is because of how early he committed and his injury. 

 

I don't get the feeling around here that people are inferring he isn't a power-5 talent. The staff seems like they've been pretty clear about who they wanted to keep around from the Miles era and Williams was on that list.  The issue Williams had was that they were recruiting over him in the present and unfortunately some of that is due to his injury. Are we having this conversation if DW tore up AAU last year? As far as OSU, Bama, VT, etc the unfortunate position he might end up in is the same one he's trying to avoid at Nebraska. A lot of people recruited Eron Gordon; it didn't end up with him becoming a star.

 

To me it really matters if either we are not winning or if DW turns into Jarrett Culver. Even then the answer might not be fair...sometimes it's all about finding the right fit.
It also matters if it might cost us some other local recruit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

 

 

This is the Hoiberg era; we will recruit the type of personality you are panning here 24/7 if we think he's a difference maker.  Besides his offensive mind the point of HCFH is he has the gravitas that it takes to put together a team filled with divas. What is possibly one more, especially given off the court he is a net positive?

 

To me it seems like the staff thinks he's good enough to come here but not he's not a difference maker to the point where we need to make sure he comes here. Questions to be answered that seem to me like they matter:

  • Who are we using his scholarship for?
  • Is DW a difference maker and if so, when does that happen?
  • Will there be a price to pay for letting the highest regarded recruit this decade from Lincoln walk?

I think you’re conflating two personality types - divas/prima donnas and rough/tough to coach - kids.

 

Williams strikes me as the former. Hoiberg and co seem to be very willing to take troubled kids, or guys who’ve struggled to make good choices at other points, or guys who are going to require a lot of structure and support. He hasn’t shown to me he has any interest in taking “divas.”

 

Also, why didn’t he sign in November? If, as you’re saying, Hoiberg will recruit these guys 24/7 if we know they’ll be difference makers - then I’d say that answers the question you posed. We didn’t feel he was worth what he was asking for, not a difference maker, and/or not a good fit. But who knows? Certainly not myself. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/24/2019 at 1:47 PM, TheGov21 said:

Lol, this is so funny. Everybody loves him while he's committed but as soon as he decommits he's back to a diva and uncoachable. Meanwhile he's been the same person the entire time.

 

Not exactly.

 

Why do you suppose you didn't see anyone say anything about D'Andre Davis being a diva, as you call it?

 

Hmmm?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...