2024 Portal Watch

1 minute ago, jimmykc said:

I think the portal behaves like a black hole and no one ever returns, but can anyone ever change their mind later like with the faux NBA entry thing? Just wondering.

I think they can withdraw from the portal.  The original school has to be willing to bring them back though.

16 minutes ago, huskerkid21 said:

I was growing quite fond of NIL and the portal, but this Jamarques news really sucks. Now I hate the portal at least until we bring in new guys from the portal that I will probably end up liking but for now I hate the portal. #portal

One of the best parts is seeing some of the mid-major kids able to jump up to some Power 5 programs.

But the tradeoff is fluidity in rosters year-over-year. I'd imagine this will be one of the reasons Tom Izzo finally packs up and plays golf with Nick Saban.

19 minutes ago, huskercabby said:

It’s going to be another 10 years before we make the tournament. We can’t have nice things!

Might also add to my previous point I just made... The portal also gives teams the ability to change over a roster much quicker than a 3-4 year cycle of players.

So in the past if you have a couple bad recruiting seasons, you're impacted for 6+ years. The portal helps to pivot quickly. But that also means you have to either pay up or have a value proposition that works for good players. Because, as we know, there's also a large amount of bad players in the transfer portal.

Hate seeing Jamarques leave.  He was one of my favorites on the team and always seemed like a really good kid and a good teammate.   We have benefited from the portal in some cases - but really hate all the transition it creates overall and REALLY hate it when we have players leave like this.   Hoping it is an April Fools joke but assume it is not.

Yea this one hurts.

Sadly, players and coaches have lost a lot of loyalty in college sports.

Do you really think players these days even care about the program?
My guess would be no.

Hopefully we can get someone better from portal.

9 minutes ago, AGHANSEN said:

Some schools use this as a competitive advantage. If the value prop or the price is right, they'll go anywhere. Even cold "historyless" schools they never would have gone to pre-NIL.

1 hour ago, huskerkid21 said:

I was growing quite fond of NIL and the portal, but this Jamarques news really sucks. Now I hate the portal at least until we bring in new guys from the portal that I will probably end up liking but for now I hate the portal. #portal

Yep, that pretty much sums it up. My bro and I loved Jarmarques, hope it works out for him wherever he winds up.

29 minutes ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

Why do I have a sinking feeling that Sam H will be the only returner from this year's rotation.

Mast, Gary, and Brice should all be back. Unless they portal out, wouldn't make Sense to leave. Mast could go pro back home, but depends what he gets in NIL

54 minutes ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

Why do I have a sinking feeling that Sam H will be the only returner from this year's rotation.

Because, it is likely that if one of the three seniors go - the other two will also go.

I wouldn't say it's likely that any of them go, though.

Edited by Dead Dog Alley

1 hour ago, AGHANSEN said:

My guess would be no.

I would say it depends on the player and it's very hard to find those and getting harder.  Most of the time, players from that state who likely grew up fans, I'd say yes.  Players like DWalker, CJ, etc who get that second chance and succeed, I'd say yes.  If this is your first stop and you didn't grow up a fan, now that is where it's getting pretty rare to find a yes.