uneblinst's postgame chatter: vol 16; ed 25 - Michigan

Here is my take on this.  Michigan is a bad team and we smoked them at home.  This was probably one of the scariest games for me, because we lose it we'd probably have to win out.

With all of this said, I have to get something off my chest.  There needs to be something done about College Ball Refs.  I understand that the crowd plays a factor, but you can not tell me that we can be 15-1 at home and 1-7 on the road and 1-0 on Neutral.  Something does not make sense here?  You can't tell me with a straight face that a different atmosphere and crowd can make a team that has a 93.3% winning percentage at home, has a 14.2% winning percentage on the road and think that is crowd noise

I have heard so many people say why can't we play defense like this on the road?  Well probably because the Refs are calling a different game.  That is not right, and should not be tolerated.  We may not be 15-1 at home if they call every game fair, but I feel very confident in saying we have at least 3 more wins on the road

Edited by big red22

Notes from UNL

• Nebraska snapped an 8-game losing streak against Michigan dating back to the 2017-18 season with its 79-59 victory. Michigan had won 16 of 17 previous meetings dating back to when Nebraska joined the Big Ten

• The win marked the fifth opponent this season that Nebraska snapped a losing streak of seven games or longer (Michigan State (11), Kansas State (7), Indiana (7) and Northwestern (7).

• With the win, the Huskers improved to 17-8, which equals NU’s best 25-game mark since joining the Big Ten (2017-18). The last time NU had a better record thru its first 25 games was in 1991-92 (18-7)

• Keisei Tominaga led the way for the Huskers with 19 points, his 11th game this season with 15+ points. Tominaga had 15 of his 19 points in the first half. He is averaging 19.0 points per game across his last three contests.

• Josiah Allick tied or set season bests in both points (16) and rebounds (eight) in the win. Allick’s previous high point total was 15 against Northwestern while he had eight rebounds on three other occasions.

• The Huskers finished 9-23 from the three-point line against the Wolverines, raising their season total to 237 which is the fifth most in program history in a single season.

• Nebraska had a pair of double figure runs (13-0, 13-0) in the first half and now has 19 double-digit runs this season.

• Rienk Mast had a career-high eight assists, topping his previous best of six set two other times, most recently against Northwestern on Jan. 20

• With the win, Nebraska improves to 15-1 at home, which is the most home wins since going 16-1 in 2017-18.

• Nebraska held Michigan to a season-low 32.3 percent shooting. The Wolverines’ previous slow was 33.8 percent at Purdue

• NU controlled the paint against Michigan, finishing the contest with a 38-18 advantage down low.

5 minutes ago, HuscurAdam said:

Standhardinger has to be another one, but who are the other seven? 🤔

Good trivia question - was going to look it up but decided to try first:

Piatkowski

Ty Lue

Cary Cochran

Strickland

Belcher

Boone

Watson

(others I wondered about Pettaway, JP Jr and Jamar Johnson - but all had shorter times at NU so went with these seven)

OK - looked it up now.   For some reason I misread the post and thought there were 7 others before Keisei.   My list of 7 included 5 of the 8 - and the other 2 were #s 9 and 10 - Belcher and Lue both had 146 career 3's.   I was right that Pettaway and JPJ could not get there in 2 years.   The 3 I missed all played 4 years at NU (I think - definitely at least 3).   One I thought about but didn't list - the other two did not come to my mind immediately but when I saw it they should have.   Will let others come up with those 3 names :   

28 minutes ago, HuscurAdam said:
3 hours ago, Swan88 said:

He became the ninth player from the University of Nebraska to make more than 150 threesomes.

Standhardinger has to be another one, but who are the other seven? 🤔

If you're looking for an "ESPN" stat, Standhardinger may not be at the top of that particular stat, but when you factor in public parks, he's #1 in the nation.

1 hour ago, HuskerBB said:

OK - looked it up now.   For some reason I misread the post and thought there were 7 others before Keisei.   My list of 7 included 5 of the 8 - and the other 2 were #s 9 and 10 - Belcher and Lue both had 146 career 3's.   I was right that Pettaway and JPJ could not get there in 2 years.   The 3 I missed all played 4 years at NU (I think - definitely at least 3).   One I thought about but didn't list - the other two did not come to my mind immediately but when I saw it they should have.   Will let others come up with those 3 names :   

Guessing Cresswell and Conklin.

3 hours ago, HuskerBB said:

Good trivia question - was going to look it up but decided to try first:

Piatkowski

Ty Lue

Cary Cochran

Strickland

Belcher

Boone

Watson

(others I wondered about Pettaway, JP Jr and Jamar Johnson - but all had shorter times at NU so went with these seven)

image.png

This hasn't been updated yet and thus moves Ty out of the top 10. To get into the career top 3 he'd have to avg 5 made/game, which would mean he would have to have about 13.5 attempts/game. He only averages about 9 shots per game. Just going off of his average he'll end up the regular season with around 170. With post season play guaranteed for at least 2 games he'd' be at about 175 total made for his career. 

image.png

KT is not in the top 10 yet for a season although based on his game average he could squeak into the top 8. With postseason he could go climb to top 3.

Final thought on KT. He only attempts 5.1 3pt/game with a 38% make average for a total of 133 attempts. For comparison he's shooting 57% from 2 with only 104 total attempts.

Let's just take a moment to admire how freaking impressive of a 3pt shooter Cary Cochran was. It is going to take a special player to break his career and season 3pt totals.

Here are his made %'s by season: 40 / 39 / 47 / 43. His 89 total made was in 28 games. Someone, one day, may beat his 89 total but don't think anyone will ever beat his 89 made in 28 games.

CC vs KT - Career (As of today)

Games Played: 119 / 85 

Games Started: 61 / 48

Total Minutes: 2620 / 1886

**After these next 8 games games KT will be around 2050 total minutes which is about a 14 difference between him and CC.              

CC

KT

MPG: 22 / 22

MPG/Season:

FR       SO       JR         SR

CC      14        24       23         28

KT       N/A     17        25        26

Pts/Game: 9 / 11

FG%: 42% / 46%

2pt%: 38% / 58%

3pt%: 43% / 37%

3PA: 5.3 / 4.8

3P: 3.2 / 1.8

Neither CC or KT are in the top 10 for 3pt attempts for a single game or 3pts made for a single game. Both are very efficient.

For below my only assumption I'm going with is we will make the postseason.

Both only had 1 postseason past conference tourney.

Best team season: Freshman '98-'99 / Senior '23-'24

Winning Record: Each with only 1

Conference Tournament Wins: 1 / 0

Post Season Wins: 1 / 0

EDITED TO ADD: Andy Markowski played 1 season with CC

Edited by Ron Mexico