uneblinst's postgame chatter: vol 16; ed 21 - Maryland

1 hour ago, tcp said:

I'm trying to think like the committee would think, and this focus on overall wins isn't prudent if you're O-fer on the road. The tourney requires competent play outside of your own gym. Marginal teams on selection day are going to be competing with other teams and I can almost guarantee you that everything else being equal, the team that has proven it can win at least a couple of road games is going to be picked over a home court juggernaut with bupkis for road wins. 

Edit: Right now, honestly, we look like a perfect NIT team....as long as we draw the match at home. 

I'll take the home court juggernaut every time!  You can't win at home, it doesn't mean squat what road wins you have.  We still have 5 road games left, plus the neutral site games at the B1G Tourney.  Nebraska is fine.  I should know better than to get on this board after a bad loss.

No true pg really hurt. That was not a very aggressive press and it gave us fits. Even when we broke it, we didnt get any easy buckets off of it.

Also, those 2 guys off the bench who rained 3 on us to close the gap early were huge. We started pretty good on D and basically were daring them to beat us with somebody other than Young or Reese, and they did. Then our d went in the crapper.

Man, I am still feeling the disappointment of this loss.  Don't get me wrong, Maryland is an athletic team that earned a powerful win at home.  They are to be congraulated.

But, and this is big, we played poorly.  We are 21 games into the season and our inconsistancy is glaring, and puzzling.  We led 12-2 and then our wheels totally fell off.  I know many will say relax; but we should play so much better than we did.  We played poorly against Rutgers.   We played poorly against Iowa.  We played poorly against Minnesota.   We don't get beat, we get trampled.  Why?  

- lazy passes,

- not closing out on perimeter 

- not boxing out

- not aggressively going after rebounds

- not finishing at the rim

- nor making the extra pass

- not making open looks

- sulking

- not attacking/passiveness 

- not cherishing the ball

- way to many empty possessions!

Good teams are not inconsistant.   Good teams will grind when necessary.   Where is that mentality?  Who is the leader(s) that demand effort out of his teammates?

I don't believe I am overreacting.  This team should be winning.  We have proven it with high quality wins.  Maybe it is just Juwan not being on the floor.  I hope it is something that simply.  But the effort given today by this team fell well below moderate expectations.

Edited by Huskerpapa

1 hour ago, cipsucks said:

I'll take the home court juggernaut every time!  You can't win at home, it doesn't mean squat what road wins you have.  We still have 5 road games left, plus the neutral site games at the B1G Tourney.  Nebraska is fine.  I should know better than to get on this board after a bad loss.

it's no biggie. people vent how they vent. you be you, let others be themselves. easy peasy. 

but I will say I've decided to actually look into the matter with a bit more seriousness. It does appear that this is a big issue with the selection process and if you recall, that was kinda the whole point with designing the quadrant system in the first place. I think the conversation's interesting. If you don't, that's cool. 

1 hour ago, Crush78 said:

No true pg really hurt. That was not a very aggressive press and it gave us fits. Even when we broke it, we didnt get any easy buckets off of it.

Also, those 2 guys off the bench who rained 3 on us to close the gap early were huge. We started pretty good on D and basically were daring them to beat us with somebody other than Young or Reese, and they did. Then our d went in the crapper.

Our defense was alright.   It came down to turning the ball over too much and not rebounding.  Both those allowed Maryland 20 more shots.  Cut each of those in half and it is a much closer game.

Edited by brfrad

1 hour ago, tcp said:

it's no biggie. people vent how they vent. you be you, let others be themselves. easy peasy. 

but I will say I've decided to actually look into the matter with a bit more seriousness. It does appear that this is a big issue with the selection process and if you recall, that was kinda the whole point with designing the quadrant system in the first place. I think the conversation's interesting. If you don't, that's cool. 

I'm sorry.  Next time I respond to one of your posts, I'll check my frivolity at the door. 

Let's look at each road game.

Minnesota:  Have a 15 point lead at half in our 1st true road game.  Minnesota ramps up the pressure and we falter.  

Kansas State:  Dominate 2nd half against a good team.

Wisconsin:  Our defense was a step slow on rotations and Wisconsin dominates us.

Iowa:  After the Purdue win, we had about a 1% chance to win in Iowa City.  Iowa drained 3's early and we couldn't hit anything. 

Rutgers:  Had the game won until Gary goes out and we can't grab a rebound.

Maryland:  Didn't handle the pressure at all.

The silver lining is the last 2 years, we have played pretty well down the stretch.  We were 6 - 3 last year in February and March. This includes 2 - 2 away from PBA.   Prior to February,  we were 10 - 13.  We were 4 - 7 2 years ago.  Including 3 - 4 away from PBA.  Prior to February that year, we were 6 - 15.

17 hours ago, brfrad said:

Let's look at each road game.

Minnesota:  Have a 15 point lead at half in our 1st true road game.  Minnesota ramps up the pressure and we falter.  

Kansas State:  Dominate 2nd half against a good team.

Wisconsin:  Our defense was a step slow on rotations and Wisconsin dominates us.

Iowa:  After the Purdue win, we had about a 1% chance to win in Iowa City.  Iowa drained 3's early and we couldn't hit anything. 

Rutgers:  Had the game won until Gary goes out and we can't grab a rebound.

Maryland:  Didn't handle the pressure at all.

The silver lining is the last 2 years, we have played pretty well down the stretch.  We were 6 - 3 last year in February and March. This includes 2 - 2 away from PBA.   Prior to February,  we were 10 - 13.  We were 4 - 7 2 years ago.  Including 3 - 4 away from PBA.  Prior to February that year, we were 6 - 15.

I'm hopeful, but NU needs to have Juwan Gary back, and guys need to take care of the ball and rebound much, much better. It's simple things they're not doing away from PBA. The shooting actually hasn't been the main issue, so that's a decent sign that if NU can clean up their flaws and play more efficiently, then they can steal a few. GBR

15 hours ago, Cazzie22 said:

I could only listen to today’s game as I was driving out of state. Sometimes a quick start becomes fools gold.  Can we beat Wisconsin at home?

Nebraska's first 5 made shots were three-pointers by five different players. That ought to be a good sign, overall. But, the pressure, both perceived and real, were wilting to our roster, which is short a true PG. That's the primary difference than even a year ago, as NU had Manny Bando, Derrick Walker and Sam Griesel who could calm the waters, so to speak.

Edited by AuroranHusker

Post game notes

*-C.J. Wilcher finished with 14 points, the 18th time in 21 games that a Husker bench player reached double figures.  Wilcher’s 14 points marked the seventh time a bench player led NU in scoring.
*-Wilcher’s four 3-pointers tied a season high, as he also had four on two other occasions, most recently against Purdue
*-Nebraska went 10-21 from 3-point range, the 12th time NU reached double digits on 3-pointers. NU fell to 9-3 this season when hitting at least 10 3-pointers.
*-Nebraska was held to a season-low 51 points, the first time the Huskers were held under 60 points this season.

8 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

*-Nebraska went 10-21 from 3-point range, the 12th time NU reached double digits on 3-pointers. NU fell to 9-3 this season when hitting at least 10 3-pointers.
*-Nebraska was held to a season-low 51 points, the first time the Huskers were held under 60 points this season.

51 points with 10 3s is hard to do. 

Just now, Husker4theSpurs said:

One theme is we have an especially tough time with athletic teams. Position by position we are lacking athleticism for the most part.

Yes, that's abundantly clear, and yet our team is able to overcome it at home against the likes of Ohio St. but can't seem to figure out how to play to our strengths on the road.

Wanted to add my $0.02. 

It was so painful that I stayed off of all social media (Husker BB related) and away from the MB's until today.

Need to learn how to bottle up what we do at PBA and take it on the road.

Add this to the growing list of blowout road losses.

Lazy passes.

Poor rebounding.

In ability to break the press.

February is here. It's put up or shut up time.

1 hour ago, Ron Mexico said:

Wanted to add my $0.02. 

It was so painful that I stayed off of all social media (Husker BB related) and away from the MB's until today.

Need to learn how to bottle up what we do at PBA and take it on the road.

Add this to the growing list of blowout road losses.

Lazy passes.

Poor rebounding.

In ability to break the press.

February is here. It's put up or shut up time.

Breaking the press won't be the issue tonight.   Defending and hitting shots will be big.  Need Mast to show up