uneblinst's postgame chatter: vol 16; ed 12 - North Dakota

Bugeaters1

50 minutes ago, Faux Mike Peltz said:

Yes to both questions Crush. Ankle injury and no Walker. 

This seems like an obvious fix. Can't the athletic trainers just get him a walker?

I bet half the people in the lower bowl have one in their garage. Or attic.

There's probably a few of the Shim-Shams who don't need theirs anymore.

Sorry, too soon?

1 minute ago, Faux Mike Peltz said:

I actually thought the crowd was larger than I was expecting. First night of holiday break for some school districts so that may have helped. But didn’t love the 6:30 as it meant leaving Omaha earlier…

I may have misheard, but they referenced multiple times on the BTN+ broadcast that there was a semi-large group of UND players that were going to be dropped off at the Omaha airport for flights home after our game.  I wonder if the earlier start time had anything to do with those flights?

Probably an unpopular question.. Is Keisei not a great college three point shooter? I know the narrative is that he is (and this narrative helps us a great deal with the amount of gravity Keisei has on the court). I know Hoiberg has always said that he is. I know that he's probably one of the best three point shooters in the entire world in a gym just shooting around. Outside of an 8 game stretch towards the end of last season, he's been very average, dare I say even mediocre, from behind the arc in his college career. I know opponents have him circled on their scouting report. They had Cary Cochran and Brian Conklin circled too, and they played in an era when defenses could play much more physical on the perimeter. The numbers between those guys and Keisei are very different. 

Edited by millerhusker

I do not have access to stats or analytics; but based on my eye test, yes, he is a prolific three point shooter.  Plus, you rarely see him with a bad miss.  Most shots are right on target, or only slightly off target.  

I would trust him once he crosses mid-court.

Edited by Huskerpapa

13 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

I do not have access to stats or analytics; but based on my eye test, yes, he is a prolific three point shooter.  Plus, you rarely see him with a bad miss.  Most shots are right on target, or only slightly off target.  

I would trust him once he crosses mid-court.

Honestly, he's probably the only guy who should have an unlimited green light. CJ is likely next. Then it's Mast & BW. Sam is up there in the top 5.

9 hours ago, Crush78 said:

To me, the biggest difference with Keisei this year compared to the end of last year is his cutting. 

Seems to be less crisp on his cuts, maybe a step slower, which is all it takes to change an easy layup into a 6 footer trying to finish in traffic.

Now, is it lingering ankle issues? Or could some of it be not having the same connection like he & Walker had going? Probably some of both.

I think the difference is  no Walker. Same cuts just no delivery. Mast is Ok but not Walker and  Allick looked at a couple cuts that KT was wide open on and just didn't pull the trigger. A couple were so obvious that he could hear the crowd make a collective groan.

3 hours ago, millerhusker said:

Probably an unpopular question.. Is Keisei not a great college three point shooter? I know the narrative is that he is (and this narrative helps us a great deal with the amount of gravity Keisei has on the court). I know Hoiberg has always said that he is. I know that he's probably one of the best three point shooters in the entire world in a gym just shooting around. Outside of an 8 game stretch towards the end of last season, he's been very average, dare I say even mediocre, from behind the arc in his college career. I know opponents have him circled on their scouting report. They had Cary Cochran and Brian Conklin circled too, and they played in an era when defenses could play much more physical on the perimeter. The numbers between those guys and Keisei are very different. 

Not to mean this disrespectfully, but I think the whole "the game is less physical" argument gets overblown. Much like when I hear people complain about no defense being played in the NBA while ignoring the unbelievable skill set and shooting abilities of today's NBA players compared to the 80s/90s.

40 minutes ago, jason2486 said:

Not to mean this disrespectfully, but I think the whole "the game is less physical" argument gets overblown. Much like when I hear people complain about no defense being played in the NBA while ignoring the unbelievable skill set and shooting abilities of today's NBA players compared to the 80s/90s.

Gee, I am not an NBA aficionado of today but not many shot the ball better than Jerry West.  Sam Jones was peerless on the banked jump shot and some guy named Bird could shoot the rock.

52 minutes ago, jason2486 said:

There was a stat that just came out which said:

"The league-leading 2016-17 Warriors' offensive rating would rank 17th this year. Offenses just keep getting better and better."

Offensive Ratings:

114.8 for the Warriors in 2016-17

115.0 for the Warriors in 2023-24 (#16; Timberwolves 114.0 #17)

27 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

There was a stat that just came out which said:

"The league-leading 2016-17 Warriors' offensive rating would rank 17th this year. Offenses just keep getting better and better."

Offensive Ratings:

114.8 for the Warriors in 2016-17

115.0 for the Warriors in 2023-24 (#16; Timberwolves 114.0 #17)

Or… the same stat could be used to show the defense is getting worse. It’s subjective. 

3 hours ago, Dean Smith said:

I think the difference is  no Walker. Same cuts just no delivery. Mast is Ok but not Walker...

Probably right on that comparison. Walker was a terrific player though I don't recall anyone else finding KT on cuts a lot last year. Imo, the biggest difference this year is how physically refs are letting defenders "guard" KT. Just seems to me he gets held, bumped off routes, hacked on drives and generally abused. A memo must have told refs that was OK.