Gotta haves, portal or otherwise

Norm Peterson

28 minutes ago, millerhusker said:

I have some family members whose kids are now middle/high school age in the Omaha area. Rumors are floating around the Omaha schools about Chucky coming home (and not to the blue school). Sounds like other people are hearing this too? Should we get our hopes up with him and Traudt? Or should we just assume they'll be playing for Notre Dame next year?

He ain't coming here. That you can take to the bank. 

19 minutes ago, millerhusker said:

I think there's a palpable difference in malicious booing and booing that's all in good fun. That wasn't malicious booing by any means. I'm pretty sure Chucky, as a competitor, loved it. I would have at that age. Chucky knows he's loved in Nebraska. Seems like the only people who had a problem with it are some overly soft adults. 

Everyone seemed ok with it when we booed Brad Davison for the previous decade. 

5 minutes ago, millerhusker said:

I'm not sure if you have real information, or if you're just assuming, but I'll take your word for it. 

Honestly, I'm just going off his dad's tweets. If he were to transfer, this doesn't seem to be his destination if your family has these kind of thoughts. 

https://twitter.com/coach_GQ/status/1625245838808084488?s=20&t=ouwDpZkhRQvEjuZU2fLjSA

3 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

That is very well said. 

He got booed because he's good. Andrew White is persona non grata at Nebraska due in large part to him being good at basketball.

If he did transfer to Nebraska, they'd boo him in Madison for the next two years...because he is good.

From everything I heard, Chucky was coming to Nebraska until Tim Miles was fired.  He didn’t know Fred so I don’t blame him for going to the Badgers.  It is a stable, good program versus the unknown of Fred. And honestly, do you think he would have stayed after the first three shitshow years of Fred?  

Chucky would fit in well with THIS version of Nebrasketball.  Not sure he would be interested but I’d love to see him (and Traudt) come home.  That’d fill two big holes.

2 hours ago, basketballjones said:

What would we have to do in the transfer portal, in your opinion, to make it to the NCAA tournament next year? The NIT? Would the NIT suffice as progress and earn him a contract extension? 

Excellent question. I think for the first time in Hoiberg's tenure here, the list of needs and must-haves is short and manageable. I think we stand a reasonable chance of finding the pieces we need.

13 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Excellent question. I think for the first time in Hoiberg's tenure here, the list of needs and must-haves is short and manageable. I think we stand a reasonable chance of finding the pieces we need.

Really? I personally don't see how we replace some of these guys that made us "special" this year and we're still a below .500 team. We're going to have to have massive support from whatever NIL group basketball uses. We're simply going to have to buy a few dudes or I don't see this happening. 

Just now, basketballjones said:

Really? I personally don't see how we replace some of these guys that made us "special" this year and we're still a below .500 team. We're going to have to have massive support from whatever NIL group basketball uses. We're simply going to have to buy a few dudes or I don't see this happening. 

Well, buy, rent, what have you.

52 minutes ago, HB said:

Wow, this thread really triggered a couple of Jay fans.

We probably should have clapped politely and cheered softly every time he touched the ball and made a step back three, I think that really would have made the Wisconsin team feel comfortable and at home on Saturday and it really would have been a nice welcome back for Chucky don't you agree?

Creates a really nice environment.   I mean, can you imagine trying to play in a hostile environment on the road?  Like having the home fans throw beers at you and whatnot?  Shocking.

16 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Who are the culture guys in the locker room next year?  Seems like at least one of the guys we add next season needs to check the boxes of older and leader.

Juwan, CJ, and Wil all seem to go about their business the right way. 

I'm particularly impressed with how CJ has carried himself.  He entered the season as potentially our offensive focal point, and is finishing the season at the end of the rotation.  Not an easy role reversal to handle. But every time I see him on the bench he is acting like the consummate teammate.

32 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Ya I highly doubt Chucky feels this way. I wouldn’t put too much into what an emotional aunt has to say. 

Ha - yeah. If some student section booing and a few airball chants triggered her that much, she might want to stay away from Twitter and message boards, because what Wisky fans had to say about him after the game is several times worse than what went on in the arena Saturday.