Nebraska To Be Booted From B1G?

Huh?  They have know we lost our AAU since we joined. Why would it be a big deal now?

with our new leadership they are thinking about rearranging the colleges to that we would/could receive our AAU back.  At least that is what I read somewhere earlier. 

They are discussing reorganizing to deal with this problem. It has been floated that UNO and UNK be brought into the UNL umbrella (don't know how that would affect their athletic programs) but from what I've heard just co-opting the UN Medical Center will get the accreditation back.

2 hours ago, Dean Smith said:

It has been floated that UNO and UNK be brought into the UNL umbrella

No serious person would think this could be even a remote possibility, plus it wouldn't move the AAU needle in even the slightest for U of N.

2 hours ago, Dean Smith said:

just co-opting the UN Medical Center will get the accreditation back.

This is the path, and it should have been done before we lost AAU membership.  We had at least a decade to get this done and failed to do so.  This move would also put us in line with our peers like Kansas, Mizzou, Iowa and others.

1 minute ago, 49r said:

No serious person would think this could be even a remote possibility, plus it wouldn't move the AAU needle in even the slightest for U of N.

This is the path, and it should have been done before we lost AAU membership.  We had at least a decade to get this done and failed to do so.  This move would also put us in line with our peers like Kansas, Mizzou, Iowa and others.

I didn't think co-opting  UNK and UNO was part of a serious discuss. It would be hilarious if we could swallow that blue team up north of UNL but I don't imagine we could talk the private school into that.  I don't know any details so I'm probably showing my ignorance but I wouldn't think it would be too complicated to swallow the med center.  

9 minutes ago, 49r said:

https://journalstar.com/cutting-programs-merging-campuses-nebraska-university-leaders-ponder-bold-changes-to-compete/article_4aaa4013-bd96-5524-bd83-05a8a5b8e251.html

Well perhaps but it is being discussed 

2 hours ago, Cornhoopers said:

Thanks for that link.  Interesting, I hadn't been aware that there was any talk of any kind of consolidation like this.

56 minutes ago, Cazzie22 said:

I wouldn’t totally dismiss this idea.  We need to get AAU Certification and we need to start winning in Football. In this day and age of realignment one cannot be certain of security.

Conferences are desperate to grow revenue. I can't dismiss this enough.

3 hours ago, 49r said:

but, AAU accreditation or not, NU is a top ten revenue generating college athletic department, and top 5 in the upcoming Big Ten.  Our place seems fairly secure IMO.

This is a dumb topic but Neb definitely needs to add UNMC to UNL. It would just be an administrative change. 

Sports bring in a lot of money but research is where the real money for universities.

When you hear sports talk idoits say things like "no one pays to watch people play with beakers and bunson burners." That may be true but people pay billions to figure stuff out.

Adding UNMC would probably add about $200M to UNL total. Still last but much closer to next one. I don't believe any other B1G school does not have a medical school which isbthe big driver here.

SmartSelect_20240418_211253_Microsoft 365 (Office).jpg

29 minutes ago, LincecumFan said:

And I thought the guy would be a greedy scheister.

Will there come a point where even the most passionate boosters, who are not financially constrained and are free to act irrationally, will say "Screw this, I'm out"?  Most likely.  50 years from now college athletics may be a distant memory, and people might drive by the stadium wondering what the hell that thing was for.

2 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

Well.... NIL now involves the highest corporate bidder:

Perhaps FedEx should lower their shipping rates and pass those savings back to their numerous customers who, quite frankly, gives a crap about Memphis.  Just saying.

14 hours ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

And I thought the guy would be a greedy scheister.

Will there come a point where even the most passionate boosters, who are not financially constrained and are free to act irrationally, will say "Screw this, I'm out"?  Most likely.  50 years from now college athletics may be a distant memory, and people might drive by the stadium wondering what the hell that thing was for.

There’s gotta be some truth to this speculation.  The thing is, if it’s a race to the bottom, Nebraska would be my pick of last ones to lose their support.  No one is obsessed more than our fans.  We’ll probably start winning chips in multiple sports because other programs can’t keep up with our insatiable fandom/NIL.  We don’t have the #1 NIL, but compared to our reach and performance of late, it’s wildly disproportionate in our favor.  I don’t think college athletics will go away, but it will likely die down a little compared to now.