Nebraska (13-4) vs. Rutgers (9-7) Game Thread

Perhaps it has been said, but we really were beaten up in this game.  Simply look at the scrapes and scratches on Mast and the cut under Josiah's chin.  (Also the 25 or so offensive boards given up).  Not to mention that Keisei looked like a pin-ball bounching here, there and everywhere.   Dare I say, we were bullied.

Not sure what we do about it; but it was rather brutal. 

My silver lining was that as poorly as we played in major stretches, we could have and perhaps should have still won.

Crap!

That deep three-ball that KT shot from the right wing with around 11 or 12 seconds left in regulation, the defender had shoved his mid-section and the ball went mercilessly wide left. Then the defender stood over and stared down KT. What in the actual heck, Big Ten? First you missed the push and then ignored the taunting. That seemed egregious as far as I can see. Maybe my own bias is in play, but it all seemed wrong in the moment?

Edited by AuroranHusker

16 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

That deep three-ball that KT shot from the right wing with around 11 or 12 seconds left in regulation, the defender had shoved his mid-section and the ball went mercilessly wide left. Then the defender stood over and stared down KT. What in the actual heck, Big Ten? First you missed the push and then ignored the taunting. That seemed egregious as far as I can see. Maybe my own bias is in play, but it all seemed wrong in the moment?

He also stepped up so that KT landed on his foot which is not right that is how guys get hurt. 
the standing over might have gone over looked because of KT telling the crowd to be quiet with the shhh sign earlier 

6 minutes ago, Silverbacked1 said:

He also stepped up so that KT landed on his foot which is not right that is how guys get hurt. 
the standing over might have gone over looked because of KT telling the crowd to be quiet with the shhh sign earlier 

The ref was standing right there, though. It was hard to comprehend.

10 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Let’s just say that KT was called quite the number of names in the Rutgers game thread.  Safe to say he didn’t make many friends yesterday.

What does that have to do with the ref not calling anything in a crucial late-game situation? I'm flummoxed.

38 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

What does that have to do with the ref not calling anything in a crucial late-game situation? I'm flummoxed.

I too believe it was a foul.  I think the player, touching him or not, impeded his ability to land safely by jumping into his landing zone.  However, I think majority of times, that’s going uncalled.

I was just saying that the Rutgers board was very critical of KT, said he flopped a lot, and didn’t appreciate the shush sign.  My comment didn’t really have anything to do with this no call.  

1 hour ago, AuroranHusker said:

I think the biggest issue for Keisei is his propensity, from my perspective, to exaggerate contact multiple times a game.  I have no doubt he gets tugged on and opposing players are physical with him but he seems to go out of his way to try and sell calls, especially on cuts through the lane.  If I believe this as a biased fan, he likely is viewed similarly by refs.  I don't believe he will get the benefit of the doubt too often.

49 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

I too believe it was a foul.  I think the player, touching him or not, impeded his ability to land safely by jumping into his landing zone.  However, I think majority of times, that’s going uncalled.

I was just saying that the Rutgers board was very critical of KT, said he flopped a lot, and didn’t appreciate the shush sign.  My comment didn’t really have anything to do with this no call.  

Brice was called for a foul when he crowded the Rutgers player on a trap.  I believe the Rutgers player crowded Keisei and should have been called for a foul.

At one point, we are trapping a dude, and a foul was called because we were in the dudes cylinder or space (whatever its called).  But then they don't call that same foul on multiple occasions when we were the one that was being encroached upon.  Don't even get me started on the multiple over-the-back no-calls.   We got homered; but that said, we still should've won.

Edited by Huskerpapa

11 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

At one point, we are trapping a dude, and a foul was called because we were in the dudes cylinder or space (whatever its called).  But then they don't call that same foul on multiple occasions when we were the one that was being encroached upon.  Don't even get me started on the multiple over-the-back no-calls.   We got homered; but that said, we still should've won.

I’ve only seen the “cylinder” rule called in “trap” situations and it’s always iffy if it ever gets called.  Terrible rule, too hard to officiate, and only called 50% of the time or less.

2 hours ago, hskr4life said:

Gotcha, I never know what's going on with opposing fanbases. And I honestly didn't notice the "shush" either. I guess I just saw a foul, and it affected the end result, in a dramatic way.

1 hour ago, Nebrasketball1979 said:

I think the biggest issue for Keisei is his propensity, from my perspective, to exaggerate contact multiple times a game.  I have no doubt he gets tugged on and opposing players are physical with him but he seems to go out of his way to try and sell calls, especially on cuts through the lane.  If I believe this as a biased fan, he likely is viewed similarly by refs.  I don't believe he will get the benefit of the doubt too often.

Okay, that's a fair point. I'm personally not a fan of flopping, either, and that's the primary reason why. It hurts you more than it helps. Duquesne had a dude who did that early on for multiple 3-pt. (to get FTs) attempted, and it ended up hurting him more than it helped him.

12 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

Okay, that's a fair point. I'm personally not a fan of flopping, either, and that's the primary reason why. It hurts you more than it helps. Duquesne had a dude who did that early on for multiple 3-pt. (to get FTs) attempted, and it ended up hurting him more than it helped him.

Flopping didn't seem to effect their point guard.  He had a blatant flop in the first half and was instead rewarded with three free throws.  Does Keisei flop and occasionally display theatrics?  Absolutely; but 100's of other players provide the same or similar theatrics, night in, and night out.