2023-2024 KenPom Rankings Thread

49r

2 minutes ago, Vinny said:

Tim was a good person and a coach that was easy to root for. His players seemed to like playing for him, he always represented the university well. He did his best to take this program to a new level and was damn close.

I think a lot of people just want to see him do well, myself included. I’d love it if he could take a team to the dance and win some games. I’ll always feel terrible for him that he was bounced from our game vs. Baylor.

Not to mention he’s now winning games at a program that wouldn’t necessarily be considered a hot bed of basketball success.  Honestly, if we had another previous coach who was still a head, I’d like to track him too.  I’m pretty sure we followed Doc’s Southern Miss teams on here back in the day.

33. Nebraska (35): The Huskers are my sleeper team in the Big Ten. They are undefeated and not even completely healthy yet. Watch out for Fred Hoiberg’s crew.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2023-11-27/purdue-tops-mens-college-basketball-power-36-after-feast-week-heroics

Edited by hskr4life

50 minutes ago, Vinny said:

Tim was a good person and a coach that was easy to root for. His players seemed to like playing for him, he always represented the university well. He did his best to take this program to a new level and was damn close.

I think a lot of people just want to see him do well, myself included. I’d love it if he could take a team to the dance and win some games. I’ll always feel terrible for him that he was bounced from our game vs. Baylor.

Yep.  He's the definition of taking lemons and making lemonade.  He's had to swim upstream his whole career and done it not only with success, but with a great attitude the whole time to boot.

I will never apologize for having a soft spot for Coach Miles, the world could use a lot more people just like him.

1 hour ago, HuskerActuary said:

It is odd how much attention is given to someone who hasn't been our coach for five years, now coaching a Mountain West school.

How so? There are whole threads on "old friends" who transferred and Huskers in the pros who are no longer current players. A lot of people really liked Tim Miles when he was here, thought he gave us his best, and wish him well.

Haha I figured you all would react that way to my comment. Tim Miles was by far my favorite coach ever (I'm 34), and I hope he does well. I agree with all of those comments. But whether San Jose State moves from #128 to #126 or #130 has no bearing on Nebraska's season outlook. Majority rules though, so carry on.

7 minutes ago, HuskerActuary said:

Haha I figured you all would react that way to my comment. Tim Miles was by far my favorite coach ever (I'm 34), and I hope he does well. I agree with all of those comments. But whether San Jose State moves from #128 to #126 or #130 has no bearing on Nebraska's season outlook. Majority rules though, so carry on.

You are correct about the next to last sentence, and it's a valid point.  But I figure it's a throwaway line in a summary that I assume most people don't ever read anyway, so no harm done you know?

Edited by 49r

13 minutes ago, HuskerActuary said:

And these # movements for Nebraska right now also have no bearing on Nebraska's season outlook.  🙂

41 minutes ago, HuskerActuary said:

As with San Jose State, Tim Miles brought us Relevance!  (Who can forget "No-Sit Sunday" and I wasn't even there)

36 minutes ago, doc1394 said:

I’m sure this has been answered somewhere else in this thread, but what are the main differences between KenPom and Torvik? Does one value a certain statistic and ability more than the other? Do they usually end up around the same place at the end of the year?

From 8 years ago (things probably have changed) https://adamcwisports.blogspot.com/p/every-possession-counts.html

If you want to deep dive into how well ranking systems perform, there is a ranking of the ranking systems https://www.markmoog.com/ranking_analysis

The big take away is that generally they're all fairly good.

Minnesota plummets to 135. Meanwhile, San Jose is creeping up to 115. Penn State is in danger of dropping out at the top 100.  We are holding somewhat steady in the upper 40s. A win over Team Voldemort would probably catapult us upward. If we do that, though, we cannot lose to Minnesota on the road. It would waste that bump.

1 hour ago, millerhusker said:

I'll be pretty pissed at Creighton if they lose to Oklahoma State tomorrow night

I'm already mad at them they lost to Colorado State.  Correction......got hammered by Colorado State!!!

Wonder how long it's been since NU and CU played and were both undefeated.

Mid-week check in for BART T

As noted in the photo, has us as a seven seed currently but teetering on the verge of a 6 seed.  Still a 21-10, 11-9 projected record.

With his rankings, we’re 31.  Our games coming up according to his rankings…

CU- 5

Minny- 124

MSU- 16

KSU- 49

IMG_1754.jpeg

Edited by hskr4life

So I'm watching Syracuse vs. LSU and Miami vs. Kentucky last night on the SEC vs. ACC challenge thing.

And the thought that struck me, just going by the eyeball test, was we're better than basically every team I'm watching in these two games other than Kentucky, and Miami is probably close. And then I check their Kenpom rankings today and see that, yep, Kenpom pretty much agrees.

Eyeball test still works.

2 hours ago, kldm64 said:

I'm already mad at them they lost to Colorado State.  Correction......got hammered by Colorado State!!!

Wonder how long it's been since NU and CU played and were both undefeated.

Personally I'd love to see the fighting sweater vests come into the game every year winless 😉

2 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

So I'm watching Syracuse vs. LSU and Miami vs. Kentucky last night on the SEC vs. ACC challenge thing.

And the thought that struck me, just going by the eyeball test, was we're better than basically every team I'm watching in these two games other than Kentucky, and Miami is probably close. And then I check their Kenpom rankings today and see that, yep, Kenpom pretty much agrees.

Eyeball test still works.

I feel good about our team but still want to see how they do these next 4 games...  Hard for me to get that optimistic still  We are still Nebrasketball....

6 hours ago, millerhusker said:

I'll be pretty pissed at Creighton if they lose to Oklahoma State tomorrow night

I live in Cowboy Country so Ill be under peer pressure to root for the Pokes. 

I guess I can sneak cheer for the Jays if necessary, but frankly, I stopped worrying about week to week until around February a ways back. 

I'm still in "what kind of team do we have?" mode. 

20 hours ago, hskr4life said:

Mid-week check in for BART T

As noted in the photo, has us as a seven seed currently but teetering on the verge of a 6 seed.  Still a 21-10, 11-9 projected record.

With his rankings, we’re 31.  Our games coming up according to his rankings…

CU- 5

Minny- 124

MSU- 16

KSU- 49

IMG_1754.jpeg

I haven't dug in to BartTorvik too much yet this season, but it's odd to me how he's projecting a 7 seed for a 21-10 record in a year when the Big Ten is down. Something doesn't add up there for me.