Coaches that you think should be on Nebraska's list, if this trend continues

Are we in CU football territory? I mean, I doubt it's in Trev's conservative makeup to take a flier on an unproven big-time men's basketball coach with a big name (the basketball equivalent of Deion Sanders), but would it be so bad? Could we be any worse? And who could that person be?

I'd start with Dawn Staley.

Edited by jayschool

22 hours ago, Chuck Taylor said:

Have lost 5 of 7 since that tweet and are favored in only 2 of their last 9.

BUT still an amazing job. Only 11 spots behind us on KenPom today.

They beat Wyoming last night by 20 and are now just two spots behind us (or one...really we're tied with Washington and Ken has us ahead only because N is ahead of W in the alphabet), it's a razor thin margin too (just three hundredths separate us)

103 Nebraska B10 10-13 +5.89 104.2 200 98.3 53 65.9 246 +.015 153 +11.16 4 111.3 2 100.2 10 +2.42 101
104 Washington P12 13-12 +5.89 106.4 155 100.5 85 69.1 81 +.054 68 +7.71 28 107.9 58 100.2 12 -1.14 211
105 San Jose St. MWC 14-9 +5.86 110.8 74 105.0 170 62.5 350 +.054 69 +3.19 90 107.0 88 103.9 97 -2.19 245

If we lose to PSU today we will undoubtedly be behind the fightin' Tim Miles' in KenPom tomorrow.

9 minutes ago, 49r said:

They beat Wyoming last night by 20 and are now just two spots behind us (or one...really we're tied with Washington and Ken has us ahead only because N is ahead of W in the alphabet), it's a razor thin margin too (just three hundredths separate us)

103 Nebraska B10 10-13 +5.89 104.2 200 98.3 53 65.9 246 +.015 153 +11.16 4 111.3 2 100.2 10 +2.42 101
104 Washington P12 13-12 +5.89 106.4 155 100.5 85 69.1 81 +.054 68 +7.71 28 107.9 58 100.2 12 -1.14 211
105 San Jose St. MWC 14-9 +5.86 110.8 74 105.0 170 62.5 350 +.054 69 +3.19 90 107.0 88 103.9 97 -2.19 245

If we lose to PSU today we will undoubtedly be behind the fightin' Tim Miles' in KenPom tomorrow.

Awesome! We usually don't have much to discuss on Mondays.

Also, some of the teams we are behind in the NET... in year 4....

Montana State

LMU

UC Santa Barbara

Cornell

UC Irvine

Furman

Drake

Do I need to keep going?  I think you get the point.  We're in year 4 and we're not even in very good company in terms of the NET rankings.  But hey, at least we're not Minnesota bad. (237)

53 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Relatively the same in the NET.

101- Nebraska

102- Indiana State

103- Toledo

104- San Jose State

I have no idea how the NET is calculated, but seems that that the loss to St. Johns is the big drag on our NET.  Our losses this season are to NET ranked teams as follows:

61 - Oklahoma

98 - St. Johns

Our wins include:

16 - Creighton (on the road)

33 - Iowa

36 - OSU

Every B1G opponent other than Minnesota has been ranked #57 (Northwestern) or higher.

5 minutes ago, NUdiehard said:

I have no idea how the NET is calculated, but seems that that the loss to St. Johns is the big drag on our NET.  Our losses this season are to NET ranked teams as follows:

61 - Oklahoma

98 - St. Johns

Our wins include:

16 - Creighton (on the road)

33 - Iowa

36 - OSU

Every B1G opponent other than Minnesota has been ranked #57 (Northwestern) or higher.

I don't think anyone knows the exact formula... but our cupcake wins for the most part stink, and it's always better to have more wins than losses which... we don't.

4 minutes ago, Cazzie22 said:

It appears that some want Miles back as Coach. It’s beating a dead horse. That’s the past, time to focus on the present and near future. 

I think people bring it up as a cautionary tale that the next coach you hire isn't automatically going to be better than the one you just fired.

That, and to rub some a-holes' noses in comments like "I knew he couldn't coach; I just figured it out before you did." Oh, didja? Well, howdya like them apples?

2 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

I think people bring it up as a cautionary tale that the next coach you hire isn't automatically going to be better than the one you just fired.

That, and to rub some a-holes' noses in comments like "I knew he couldn't coach; I just figured it out before you did." Oh, didja? Well, howdya like them apples?

In fairness, I was bitching for years about what happened to Connie Yori so I suppose I am guilty of hypocrisy.

2 hours ago, Cazzie22 said:

It appears that some want Miles back as Coach. It’s beating a dead horse. That’s the past, time to focus on the present and near future. 

Let's be real, no one expects Miles back-- though some might want him back everyone knows it isn't happening.  I think most keep bringing it up because his "ceiling" that oh so many referred to as "not something to settle for" is a lot higher than what some now want to settle for.  

If I''m going to have to cheer for a losing program, at least I want my coach to be entertaining, and Miles was always that. 

I'm just happy he's having success and getting his reputation and career back on a successful track and surviving the "coaching graveyard" that is us. 

At this point, I just want to see some semblance of forward momentum. A couple more wins like today and we just might finally have that.  hoiberg may finally be figuring out what it takes to win in our league and the kinds of players you need to do it. 

6 hours ago, hskr4life said:

Also, some of the teams we are behind in the NET... in year 4....

Montana State

LMU

UC Santa Barbara

Cornell

UC Irvine

Furman

Drake

Do I need to keep going?  I think you get the point.  We're in year 4 and we're not even in very good company in terms of the NET rankings.  But hey, at least we're not Minnesota bad. (237)

Playing devil’s advocate again.. Hoiberg’s year 4 team is better than Miles’ year 5 team and I don’t think it’s close.  Even without two starters. That Miles team was unwatchable. Miles’ year 6 team was exponentially better than his year 5 team. I’m pretty sure Trev is going to retain Hoiberg next year. We’ll see what happens. He seems to have found a new formula that can work. 

9 hours ago, 49r said:

Well, that didn't happen.  We're #97 now.  9 spots ahead of San Jose State.

Also, we are now in 12th place in the Big Ten.  Half a game ahead of Ohio State.

15 hours ago, BjoeHusker said:

Let me guess, you wanted Mickey Joseph to be on Rhule's staff?

Before his arrest sure why not? He was a top position coach in the country and the 1 year here his WRs performed better than any have in the program in along time.

He had his chance and blew it here. I believe everyone deserves a second chance and hope he gets his somewhere else. Beard paid the price and will be punished once that punishment is served why isn't he allowed another chance?

7 hours ago, hskr4life said:

This’ll be a fun year to play around with the B1G bracket generator.  6 way tie for 3rd place right now.  As of right now, the team who’d get a double bye would have the same record as the 8 seed in the 8-9 game.

I did one.  I had a 9 - 11 team playing on Wednesday. 

On 2/5/2023 at 7:37 AM, jayschool said:

Are we in CU football territory? I mean, I doubt it's in Trev's conservative makeup to take a flier on an unproven big-time men's basketball coach with a big name (the basketball equivalent of Deion Sanders), but would it be so bad? Could we be any worse? And who could that person be?

I'd start with Dawn Staley.

i had this same thought, but i wouldn't be against giving fred a few more years before making some sort of drastic change with the program. i have no idea who the deion equivalent is, but this program badly needs someone who is going to put a spotlight on it. if fred can't get it turned around, i'd be pretty much open to anyone who is going to bring massive change and more of a marketer than a basketball coach. i don't know if deion will turn around colorado but he's already gotten dozens of top recruits because of his social media presence and charisma.

On 2/4/2023 at 6:36 PM, huskerbill85 said:

Beard should be choice #1 but school and state have a fake image to uphold

Can you expand on this "fake image" you claim the school and state is upholding?

12 hours ago, huskerbill85 said:

Before his arrest sure why not? He was a top position coach in the country and the 1 year here his WRs performed better than any have in the program in along time.

He had his chance and blew it here. I believe everyone deserves a second chance and hope he gets his somewhere else. Beard paid the price and will be punished once that punishment is served why isn't he allowed another chance?

So...why the double standard?  Beard is good enough for us (despite some mythic "fake image" we're upholding) after his arrest on DV charges but Mickey is definitely not good enough for us now that he's been arrested.