2024 Portal Watch

6 hours ago, Swan88 said:

Moments ago, an anonymous poster on Red Sea Scrolls passed on this rumor about Berke:

“I heard 1890 has been negotiating with his agent in Turkey. Take it FWIW.”

The important question, is his agent negotiating exclusively with 1890 or is he negotiating with both 1890 and BYU. With the highest bidder winning Berke's commitment.

15 hours ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

Have things changed where players not from the United States can directly receive NIL? 

I was just wondering the same thing. And then my second thought was whether we are due for an international trip this season. I believe Kansas found that loophole last year, and had their NIL collective pay their international players during a trip to the Bahamas. 

56 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

I was just wondering the same thing. And then my second thought was whether we are due for an international trip this season. I believe Kansas found that loophole last year, and had their NIL collective pay their international players during a trip to the Bahamas. 

We went to Spain last summer, so we won't be eligible for another overseas trip until 2027 if I understand the rules.

2 hours ago, 49r said:

We went to Spain last summer, so we won't be eligible for another overseas trip until 2027 if I understand the rules.

True.  Although that doesn't rule out a holiday tournament on a Caribbean island.  

2 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

Considering how much more playing time BYU likely has to offer with their gutted roster, I'd have to wonder if we can do enough to land Berke.

Maybe he doesn’t want a gutted option of having any fun.  

I will add a bit of fuel to a fire that already may be burning pretty hot.

The articles I have read regarding BYU's recruiting, such as this one:

https://www.vanquishthefoe.com/2024/5/5/24149078/byu-basketball-recruiting-notebook-may-5-keba-keita-chaz-lanier-berke-buyuktuncel-tranfer-portal

Does not seem to place Berke as a priority recruit.  He appears to be more of a secondary player.  I cannot believe a kid with this advertised talent will hook up with a school that doesn't have a "major contributor role" defined for him.

Perhaps I am missing something? But between the whispering I have heard, and the articles read, I have to believe Berke is ours if the price is right.

6 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

https://www.vanquishthefoe.com/2024/5/5/24149078/byu-basketball-recruiting-notebook-may-5-keba-keita-chaz-lanier-berke-buyuktuncel-tranfer-portal

Does not seem to place Berke as a priority recruit.  He appears to be more of a secondary player.  I cannot believe a kid with this advertised talent will hook up with a school that doesn't have a "major contributor role" defined for him.

Perhaps I am missing something? But between the whispering I have heard, and the articles read, I have to believe Berke is ours if the price is right.

Nice find.  Here’s the money sentence on Berke from the article:

Berke may not be on the top of BYU’s board but he is a guy they are pursuing.”

10 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

Old article. Noah Waterman transferred which means both the guys who were in the PF rotation are gone.

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

Old article. Noah Waterman transferred which means both the guys who were in the PF rotation are gone.

It's not the only article out there Matt; I simply used it as an example to reinforce my point.  Anyone who reads the article can recognize the date on that specific article and dive in to further research on there own.

Additional anonymous reporting on another site, with alleged insider access, is that (I) the coaches feel good about their chances with Berke, but it’s not a done deal, and (ii) they are talking with other players too—but won’t take someone just to fill a spot.

So . . . what I typed above must be at least fourth-hand hearsay.