Forecasting 2023-24 lineup

Norm Peterson

21 hours ago, HuscurAdam said:

Mast . . . walking under his own power with no crutches or anything. Probably got dinged-up, but I'm guessing not too serious. 

appears to be in a boot sitting on bench if you have a keen eye…. I’d add the picture but it’s too large I guess. 

Edited by ConkintheCorner

It might just be me, but a lot of outlets are accounting for keisei in their preseason write up, but it feels like Lawrence is getting forgotten about from them. By all accounts, could be the starting lead guard and was very important to the end of the year run last year. He shouldn't be catching people off guard this year, but it looks like he is? 

1 hour ago, thrasher31 said:

It might just be me, but a lot of outlets are accounting for keisei in their preseason write up, but it feels like Lawrence is getting forgotten about from them. By all accounts, could be the starting lead guard and was very important to the end of the year run last year. He shouldn't be catching people off guard this year, but it looks like he is? 

Is he Glynn Watson or is he Thomas Allen? Harder to spill ink about a guy until you see them go out there and prove it. He's a really good player with a lot of potential. He's also the guy who couldn't make a FT last year.

My projected starting lineup:

1. Lawrence

2. Keisei

3. Williams

4. Gary

5. Mast

The only question mark is Gary vs. Allick.  They seem to be very similar players.  Allick has a bit more size, Gary may have a bit more athleticism.  The main reason I give the nod to Gary is because Allick is clearly the backup center so he has to stagger his minutes with Mast.  

First off the bench:

6.  Allick

7.  CJ

8. Coleman

I know CJ had a rough year last year (and was brutal the first half of the season), but he still is probably the 2nd best pure shooter on the team behind Keisei.  Fred said he's been shooting lights out in practice, can it carry over to games this year?  He shot over 40% from 3 in the B1G as a freshman, so he has proven he can do it.  Hoping and maybe even expecting that he can do it again.

Allick will have to play big. Not sure he is ideal as a center (at just 6'8") in the B1G, but I don't see any indication Keita is coming back any time soon and Diop is just a raw freshman no matter how athletic.    

Rice and Diop will have opportunities.  I get the sense Hoiberg really like Rice, it's just a question of whether he can learn the system and be consistent enough.  As for Diop, he will be fun to watch.  We all know he is raw, the question is just how raw.  

Last, the constant nagging injuries are annoying.  I realize they said Mast and Gary are not serious, but still.  During the scrimmage last Saturday we had 4 scholarship players out with injury.  Is this common?  If we surveyed every team in the country, how many would have 4 or more scholarship players injured at one time?  And is a foot/ankle injury on a big guy ever really "non-serious"?  Keita anyone?  Are either/both of them going to play in the exhibition this Sunday?  Are they even back to practicing now?  Fortunately we start out with an easy schedule, but Mast is brand new to the team and needs all the practice and playing time with this new team he can get.  He can't be expected to sit on the sidelines and then just show up for the Creighton game.  Every rep, every game counts to build chemistry and continuity.  

Edited by NUdiehard

10 hours ago, NUdiehard said:

My projected starting lineup:

1. Lawrence

2. Keisei

3. Williams

4. Gary

5. Mast

The only question mark is Gary vs. Allick.  They seem to be very similar players.  Allick has a bit more size, Gary may have a bit more athleticism.  The main reason I give the nod to Gary is because Allick is clearly the backup center so he has to stagger his minutes with Mast.  

First off the bench:

6.  Allick

7.  CJ

8. Coleman

I know CJ had a rough year last year (and was brutal the first half of the season), but he still is probably the 2nd best pure shooter on the team behind Keisei.  Fred said he's been shooting lights out in practice, can it carry over to games this year?  He shot over 40% from 3 in the B1G as a freshman, so he has proven he can do it.  Hoping and maybe even expecting that he can do it again.

Allick will have to play big. Not sure he is ideal as a center (at just 6'8") in the B1G, but I don't see any indication Keita is coming back any time soon and Diop is just a raw freshman no matter how athletic.    

Rice and Diop will have opportunities.  I get the sense Hoiberg really like Rice, it's just a question of whether he can learn the system and be consistent enough.  As for Diop, he will be fun to watch.  We all know he is raw, the question is just how raw.  

Last, the constant nagging injuries are annoying.  I realize they said Mast and Gary are not serious, but still.  During the scrimmage last Saturday we had 4 scholarship players out with injury.  Is this common?  If we surveyed every team in the country, how many would have 4 or more scholarship players injured at one time?  And is a foot/ankle injury on a big guy ever really "non-serious"?  Keita anyone?  Are either/both of them going to play in the exhibition this Sunday?  Are they even back to practicing now?  Fortunately we start out with an easy schedule, but Mast is brand new to the team and needs all the practice and playing time with this new team he can get.  He can't be expected to sit on the sidelines and then just show up for the Creighton game.  Every rep, every game counts to build chemistry and continuity.  

I would Upvote this 10 times if I could!  Fred absolutely has to get Rice on the court for significant minutes in the non-con. Unlike Diop, he's not raw. Fred can't just leave him on the bench, playing only spot minutes until someone gets hurt like he did with Lawrence last year. If Rice can establish himself as a viable rotation piece, it really raises the ceiling for this team. 

11 hours ago, NUdiehard said:

Last, the constant nagging injuries are annoying.  I realize they said Mast and Gary are not serious, but still. 

This is the only reason I think Allick starts and Gary is staggered in. Being frank, you cannot expect Gary to play a full season with a shoulder injury as serious and lingering as his with the physical way he plays being his best attribute. It's bound to get injured or at the very least tweaked through the course of the season. You have to just try and get as much as you can out of him. 

11 hours ago, NUdiehard said:

I'm not sure this is a reflection on the program. Like this isn't a reflection on our strength guy or the athletic trainer or that practices are too hard or that there's anything intrinsically the matter with the program.

I think there might be one *real* injury there and it might not be hoops-related.

Keita is just not durable and that's who he is. I doubt he'll ever regain the form he had on his juco championship team. Since his injury early on his 2nd year of juco, he's just never been the same since. And it's not looking like he ever will be.

Gary came to us with a bum shoulder that we tried to manage last year, and he got off-season surgery that sounds like it went well.  Allick came to us with a problem that appears to have been repaired as well. Bandoumel blew out his knee as sometimes happens with athletes doing athletic things.

It's ENTIRELY POSSIBLE that guys being held out last week were being held out in a precautionary manner because we have ample depth and don't need, at this point, to push things.

44 minutes ago, OmahaHusker said:

This is the only reason I think Allick starts and Gary is staggered in. Being frank, you cannot expect Gary to play a full season with a shoulder injury as serious and lingering as his with the physical way he plays being his best attribute. It's bound to get injured or at the very least tweaked through the course of the season. You have to just try and get as much as you can out of him. 

Agreed. I think the big differentiator will be who shots the long ball better. That will determine who is starting at the end of the year.