Favorite Husker Basketball Coach and Why?

Just for something to talk about while we wait for the season to begin.

Who is your favorite Husker basketball coach of all time and why?

I will say Danny Nee because Husker Hoops was a thing while Danny was the coach. He recruited some great players to come and play here! We won some great games in those days and of course the ties! 

Edited by BigTate
spelling and content

I gotta say Tim Miles.  He injected more enthusiasm and energy into the program than probably anyone else in my lifetime and he really did make Nebrasketball cool again.

Now, if Fred can get us into a position of being somewhat nationally relevant, I might be compelled to change my mind but as of right now, I gotta go with Miles.

Funny enough, I actually really liked Collier.  He used to bring Valentino's pizzas to the Red Zone an hour before tip off, to thank those of us who got there early enough to razz the opponents during warm ups. And in the rare event that a student would get thrown out for crossing the line with a ref, Barry would remember that student and come say 'thank you' to him before the next game.  I know Barry came across as aloof, but in my interactions with him he was very personable. 

That being said, he sure stunk it up in the W's and L's department.

1 hour ago, jimmykc said:

1. Adolf Lewandowski-he had to have a great personality to carry that name through the years of WWII without being fired. 1A. The first coach to win an NCAA tourney game. 2. Danny Nee-he brought pizazz to the program.

Unfortunately Adolph Lewandowski brought the Win/Loss record of the average Adolph down quite a bit:

image.png

image.png

image.png

4 hours ago, aphilso1 said:

Funny enough, I actually really liked Collier.  He used to bring Valentino's pizzas to the Red Zone an hour before tip off, to thank those of us who got there early enough to razz the opponents during warm ups. And in the rare event that a student would get thrown out for crossing the line with a ref, Barry would remember that student and come say 'thank you' to him before the next game.  I know Barry came across as aloof, but in my interactions with him he was very personable. 

That being said, he sure stunk it up in the W's and L's department.

He seemed like a nice guy, the one time I talked to him.  I think he was told to clean up the academic end of the program, and he did that.  

2 hours ago, HB said:

This may be sacrilege, but I really liked Moe.  

He was the one I was going to list as well.    Not very personable with the media or others he did not know well and a little thin skinned - but a great basketball mind - and we did win consistently with him as the coach.

2 hours ago, lang said:

Can you name the staring 5 on that team after Hoppen went down ?   I think I have it, let’s see what you say.  I could look it up, but this is funnier (sic). 

I’m almost ashamed to admit the only Starters I could think of without looking it up were Brian Carr & Jackman. Funny enough, I sat right beside Bernard Day in my Art History class & never said one word to him. We’ve met & hung out since he’s Great. It was Rag Tag Bunch but Moe “Coached Em Up” right over at Mabel Lee. Then sadly it was Done. 

4 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention that during my Student Days of Courtside seats, Mo Iba took a Team to the NCAA Tournament (our 1st of course) with 6’ 4” Bernard Day Starting at Center. It’s easy to forget that sometimes…

Actually Chris Logan (6’5”) started at center after Hoppen went down at Colorado.  But I too loved those courtside seats during the Moe years.  Married my wife as a result of that 

Edited by HB

5 minutes ago, HB said:

Actually Chris Logan (6’5”) started at center after Hoppen went down at Colorado.  But I too loved those courtside seats during the Moe years.  Married my wife as a result of that 

I used to Party with a guy in Mpls that went to High School with Keith Neubert in Wisconsin. Could NOT believe he Played with Nebraska or the Jets. Never saw it Comin’ 

3 hours ago, lang said:

Can you name the staring 5 on that team after Hoppen went down ?   I think I have it, let’s see what you say.  I could look it up, but this is funnier (sic). 

Without looking - 

C  Chris Logan (listed at 6'5", probably 6'4")

F  John Matzke (6'6")

F Bernard Day (listed at 6'5" that year, 6'4" when Danny Nee came in and all Danny's recruits grew an inch and Moe's recruits dropped an inch)

G  Harvey Marshall (listed at 6'3"

G  Brian Carr (listed at 6'1" that year, 6'0" the next)

The primary backup was Anthony Bailous (6'3" / 6'2") with the primary lineup being Bailous replacing Matzke.

Just now, Handy Johnson said:

I used to Party with a guy in Mpls that went to High School with Keith Neubert in Wisconsin. Could NOT believe he Played with Nebraska or the Jets. Never saw it Comin’ 

Keith Neubert went to tell Danny that he was trying out for football.  Danny flipped out, threatened to pull his scholarship, acted about as negatively as humanly possible.  Neubert never talked to him again.