2024 Portal Watch

Okay, I looked it up now that players can’t enter the portal and over 2,000 Division I players entered the portal.

351 schools * 13 scholarships = 4,563. That’s almost 44% of all scholarship players. If you consider ~ 1/4 of the scholarships are incoming freshman who are not portalling, that puts you at 58% of non-freshmen with eligibility left in the portal.

I know there are still some extra covid years hanging around, and some players move up and down divisions so these numbers aren’t perfect, but they’re close.

We had 6/10 non-freshman scholarship players with eligibility left leave. We should expect this level of portal activity going forward since it’s so close to the average.

1 hour ago, cipsucks said:

Doubt you could buy it.  However, paying for the naming rights to the Kevin Ross Reading Center has possibilities.

Screw it I would buy Creighton and make them drop all sports or if they wanted to keep them they would have to go to DII🤨😉

13 hours ago, Vinny said:

Okay, I looked it up now that players can’t enter the portal and over 2,000 Division I players entered the portal.

351 schools * 13 scholarships = 4,563. That’s almost 44% of all scholarship players. If you consider ~ 1/4 of the scholarships are incoming freshman who are not portalling, that puts you at 58% of non-freshmen with eligibility left in the portal.

I know there are still some extra covid years hanging around, and some players move up and down divisions so these numbers aren’t perfect, but they’re close.

We had 6/10 non-freshman scholarship players with eligibility left leave. We should expect this level of portal activity going forward since it’s so close to the average.

Not everyone in the portal is a scholarship player.

Hoiberg was an avid user of the portal before it was cool so us flipping half the roster every year will be the norm for our program. As long as he has a base of guys who can run his stuff/self-motivated we should be successful most years.

1 minute ago, hhcmatt said:

Hoiberg was an avid user of the portal before it was cool so us flipping half the roster every year will be the norm for our program. As long as he has a base of guys who can run his stuff/self-motivated we should be successful most years.

I would add that if we can finally establish some consistent success, our recruiting will pick up as well. We're still held back by the perception that this isn't a good program. It's not all about the money with recruits. There's also fit and a chance to perform on the big stage.

30 minutes ago, Chuck Taylor said:

I would add that if we can finally establish some consistent success, our recruiting will pick up as well. We're still held back by the perception that this isn't a good program. It's not all about the money with recruits. There's also fit and a chance to perform on the big stage.

And convincing these recruits they can get enough playing time to be satisfied. My apologies if that is what you meant by "fit".

Edited by LincecumFan

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

I know there’s walkons in the portal but they have to be a small percentage. With all of our portal activity under Hoiberg, how many have been walkons? Even Easley was on scholarship by the time he transferred.

And I’m not saying it’s a bad thing, just a reality. I was more pointing out for those who are concerned about how much we use it, we’re using it about as much as the overall average in Division I. 

If I were the parent or grandparent of a high-end recruit (I'm not), Nebrasketball's history would not be an impediment to going there.  That's because Hoiberg's history at Iowa St. and recent Husker history, along with his NBA connections and prior players in the league, have answered those concerns.

Here's an illustration.  This past season, I saw the mother of a high-end recruit interact with Fred Hoiberg.  And her reaction was unmistakable--she thinks Hoiberg is great and would love to have him serve as a coach/mentor/leader for her son. 

The biggest problem for every school today (including the Huskers) is this: NIL bidding amounts are very high, especially as the end of this recruiting season approaches and especially as some schools feel desperation.

Unlike before, schools don't have to cheat-by-paying.  They pay up-front and out in the open--legally.  On the other hand, that puts pressure on the old paying cheaters to maintain their competitive advantage, because those who didn't cheat-by-paying before can now compete in the pay-to-play game.   

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/ansley-almonor-1.html

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/yacine-toumi-1.html

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/jo-smith-1.html

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/jerome-brewer-jr-1.html

A few that I think fit that profile of what we're looking for. Berke is at the top of my list, mostly because of shooting talent+ability to play 4 or 5. Not sure any of these fall in that category, but they all fill that 4 spot imo. 

14 hours ago, thrasher31 said:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/ansley-almonor-1.html

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/yacine-toumi-1.html

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/jo-smith-1.html

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/jerome-brewer-jr-1.html

A few that I think fit that profile of what we're looking for. Berke is at the top of my list, mostly because of shooting talent+ability to play 4 or 5. Not sure any of these fall in that category, but they all fill that 4 spot imo. 

I like Almonor but wonder if we reached out to Achor Achor? Haven’t heard much about him and he looks pretty good.

8 hours ago, Art Vandalay said:

I like Almonor but wonder if we reached out to Achor Achor? Haven’t heard much about him and he looks pretty good.

Achor is a pretty good fit and dream type guy, but I haven't seen much connecting him here yet. I think he was going to visit or had visited Auburn, but can't remember off the top. 

On 5/7/2024 at 9:51 PM, Vinny said:

Not sure of the math being totally accurate, as you had even mentioned the amount of 5th yr, 6th yr, and now 7th (hello Rienk Mast) on the various rosters.... but I'm sure the half of dudes leavin' is close enough for precision sake. It's the wild, wild West in college basketball.

2 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

Not sure of the math being totally accurate, as you had even mentioned the amount of 5th yr, 6th yr, and now 7th (hello Rienk Mast) on the various rosters.... but I'm sure the half of dudes leavin' is close enough for precision sake. It's the wild, wild West in college basketball.

You’re right. I even said they aren’t perfect. I mentioned Covid years still playing a role.

But even if you’re in your 7th year, you have 4 years of eligibility, unless you still have your Covid year. You aren’t playing 7 full seasons. So that 7th year would essentially be your senior year for the fourth time. Your school doesn’t get a 14th scholarship to keep you around, either. You count as one of 13 the whole time.

2 hours ago, Vinny said:

You’re right. I even said they aren’t perfect. I mentioned Covid years still playing a role.

But even if you’re in your 7th year, you have 4 years of eligibility, unless you still have your Covid year. You aren’t playing 7 full seasons. So that 7th year would essentially be your senior year for the fourth time. Your school doesn’t get a 14th scholarship to keep you around, either. You count as one of 13 the whole time.

Yes. I thought the extra season ended this year, but it doesn't. Mast is the perfect example. And, understood, I just estimated it to be 50% instead of getting into the weeds more, its all good.

34 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

Yes. I thought the extra season ended this year, but it doesn't. Mast is the perfect example. And, understood, I just estimated it to be 50% instead of getting into the weeds more, its all good.

This upcoming season (24-25) should be the final year we start seeing a lot of 5th year guys because of covid eligibility. 
All of the players that started school in 21 don't have the covid year (i.e Andrew Morgan, Chucky Hepburn, Saint Thomas).

8 minutes ago, AGHANSEN said:

This upcoming season (24-25) should be the final year we start seeing a lot of 5th year guys because of covid eligibility. 
All of the players that started school in 21 don't have the covid year (i.e Andrew Morgan, Chucky Hepburn, Saint Thomas).

Yes, agreed. That was what I had mentioned, without the detail you provided. Thanks.