2023-2024 KenPom Rankings Thread

49r

1 hour ago, Vinny said:

I was just thinking about how much of a factor home/neutral/away affects a lot of these metrics.  Going forward, I'd like to see us in an MTE that has more opportunities for Q1/Q2 competition.  The revenue from the Cornhusker Classic I'm sure was nice. But if these metrics, warts and all, have a say at the end of the year in bubble status and potential seeding, I don't know if we should be scheduling three teams likely to be Q3/Q4 teams. It's just risking a bad loss without much benefit outside of revenue. I'm also sure there aren't going to be many teams in Q1/Q2 territory wanting to come to Lincoln for an MTE next year with the way we've been playing at home. Something I'm curious to see how we handle in the future.

I think it depends on your roster, who's returning, how much experience they have, how you did the previous year.

For example, we had Keisei, Gary, Lawrence, CJ, and Hoiberg back from a .500 team.  I think racking up wins,  gaining confidence, seeing what was there from the transfers trumped creating Q1/Q2 opportunities.  If everything goes well down the stretch.  We make the NCAA tournament, and everyone stays, who can, next year would deserve scheduling Q1/Q2 games.  We could return Brice, Gary, Lawrence, CJ, Mast, Sam, and Rice.  That's some good experience.  We are probably scheduling to get the best seed for the Dance.

It's a day late but I figured I'd better get an update out, it's been a while since the last one.

Our overall strength is up now to #53.  

The next week figures to be pretty rough, but after that things appear to open up for us schedule wise.

That Rutgers loss is starting to sting a lot.

Ken's prediction is pretty solid now at 21-10 (11-9).  Torvik as well, 21-10 (11-9).

San José State is struggling.  They are down to #204. 

Okay, not much more to say.  Here we go.

KenPom rankings as of 2-03-24

=======================

B1G (6-5):
2. Purdue - W
10. Illinois
11. Wisconsin - L, W
17. Michigan State - W
43. Northwestern - W
51. Nebraska

52. Iowa - L
53. Maryland - L
64. Ohio State - W
84. Minnesota - L

89. Indiana - W
91. Michigan

101. Penn State

106. Rutgers - L

Non-Conference (10-1):
349. Lindenwood - W

342. Florida A&M - W

---Cornhusker Classic---
268. Rider - W
198. Stony Brook - W

---Sanford Pentagon---
147. Oregon State - W

---Cornhusker Classic---

111. Duquesne - W

224. Cal State Fullerton - W

18. Creighton - L
75. @Kansas State - W
251. North Dakota - W

322. South Carolina State - W

Yeah, okay.  Let's do a KenPom update.

Our overall strength of schedule is up again to #46.  

Ohio State is 3-8, has lost 7 of their last 8, Ken predicts them to finish 12th, and still they are in the top 65.  Really hard to figure that one.

There is a clear separation from the top 4 in the conference and the rest of us below.  The good news for us is we finished 3-2 against that group.  The bad news is it could have easily been 4-1.

Ken's prediction stays at 21-10 (11-9).  Torvik also, 21-10 (11-9).

San José State slips again down to #207. 

Here we go.

KenPom rankings as of 2-05-24

=======================

B1G (6-6):
2. Purdue - W
10. Illinois - L
13. Wisconsin - L, W
17. Michigan State - W
46. Nebraska

49. Northwestern - W
50. Iowa - L
52. Maryland - L
64. Ohio State - W
76. Minnesota - L

93. Penn State

99. Indiana - W

100. Rutgers - L

101. Michigan

Non-Conference (10-1):
352. Lindenwood - W

344. Florida A&M - W

---Cornhusker Classic---
261. Rider - W
196. Stony Brook - W

---Sanford Pentagon---
160. Oregon State - W

---Cornhusker Classic---

104. Duquesne - W

220. Cal State Fullerton - W

18. Creighton - L
75. @Kansas State - W
256. North Dakota - W

324. South Carolina State - W

49 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

That L next to Rutgers really sucks. Have a feeling we'll lay the hurt on them when they come to Lincoln.

Good news is we don't have an L next to any team outside the Kenpom top 100. And so we don't have to look back and wonder what our ranking might have been if we hadn't lost to Rider.

Also gotta beat Michigan twice to keep that record.

9 minutes ago, OurDecay said:

Not specifically relevant to the topic of this thread, but I do think eyeball test matters beyond all the metrics.  We went shot-for-shot at Illinois in February after beating #1 Purdue by 16 in January.  People saw.  We look like a very good team.

This is true-- I also think our Illinois loss may have gotten more publicity and eyes than our Wisconsin win.  Twitter had a TON of tweets about our Illinois game, how good of a game it was, blah blah.

12 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

This is true-- I also think our Illinois loss may have gotten more publicity and eyes than our Wisconsin win.  Twitter had a TON of tweets about our Illinois game, how good of a game it was, blah blah.

Not sure there were any other games going on at the time

21 hours ago, hskr4life said:

Not that it changes a whole lot, but a Maryland blowout of Rutgers tonight could move them to a Q1 loss.  I didn't realize they had snuck into the Top 80 of the NET.

We certainly wanted the Rutgers result.  While it doesn’t show now, it will as we play them twice and Maryland once.  That far outweighs a minor quad movement.  Perhaps the only exception would be losing a quad one win.  

Kansas St's net ranking jumped two spots again last night to 77, 2 spots away from Q1 territory.  We certainly need to root for them to win a few more games here to improve their ranking into say the 60's, but not too many to where they are additional competition if we find ourselves firmly on the bubble 🙂

Mich. St. dropped to #24 so we sort of need them to hold it somewhat together as well but they are tricky as I also believe they are more bubbly than us despite some of their metrics being significantly better.

11 minutes ago, Nebrasketball1979 said:

Kansas St's net ranking jumped two spots again last night to 77, 2 spots away from Q1 territory.  We certainly need to root for them to win a few more games here to improve their ranking into say the 60's, but not too many to where they are additional competition if we find ourselves firmly on the bubble 🙂

Mich. St. dropped to #24 so we sort of need them to hold it somewhat together as well but they are tricky as I also believe they are more bubbly than us despite some of their metrics being significantly better.

The nice thing about the Big 12 is just about every game is a win/bigger win scenario.  Provided you don’t get blown out and you don’t lose to WVU or OKST (which KSU did), you shouldn’t drop that much and have so many opportunities to move up.