2023-2024 KenPom Rankings Thread

49r

22 minutes ago, Nebrasketball1979 said:

So we earned two Quad 2 wins last night.  Our win against Ohio State moved us up 9 spots in the NET to #46.  The win also helped Northwestern move up 5 spots to #73, now within Q2 territory.  Obviously, pretty fluid but now 3-3 in Q1 and 2-2 in Q2.  

And STILL undefeated in Q3 & 4.  Good wins + no bad losses = good things come March.

10 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

I think we can beat Maryland at Maryland. I think we can sweep Michigan.

I think if I had to rank the remaining road games from best chance for a W to worst chance, it'd go like this:

Michigan, Maryland, Indiana, Northwestern, Ohio St, Illinois.

So, we darn well better win the next one (against Maryland.)

I hope you're right - Maryland's NET number stinks, thanks to a bad non-con, but I think they're starting to round into the form people thought they'd have before the season - quite a few predictions had them earning the double-bye.

If we could win there, it would be very impressive on the eye test but wouldn't move the needle much in the metrics, I'd imagine. MD has really struggled in tight games, so hopefully we can find a way to continue that issue for them.

Will be very curious to see how they play in Iowa City tonight. MD's win at Illinois last weekend was very impressive, even without Shannon, and they battled MSU the entire way over the weekend. They also played very tight at NW in the mid-week last week, and NW has been nails at home vs everyone but Chicago State. (That may end up being the most baffling result of the entire college hoops season when things are finished.)

Our overall strength of schedule keeps climbing, now up to #76.  

The Big Ten conference seems to be getting sorted into three groups now:

• The top 4 (tourney locks)
  • The next 5 (bubble teams)
  • The bottom 5 (staying home in March)

We are at the top of that bubble group at the moment, with the slimmest of leads over Iowa.  One one hundredth of a point.  Next four game stretch is pretty brutal, we're gonna find out a lot more about this team over the next couple of weeks.

Ken's prediction bumps back up to 21-10 (11-9).  Torvik does too, 21-10 (11-9).

San José State plays New Mexico at home tonight on CBS Sports Network at 10pm.  They are up to #165. 

Here we go.

KenPom rankings as of 1-24-24

=======================

B1G (5-4):
2. Purdue - W
9. Illinois
11. Wisconsin - L
17. Michigan State - W
45. Nebraska

46. Iowa - L
48. Ohio State - W
61. Northwestern - W
68. Maryland
80. Michigan
89. Minnesota - L

91. Rutgers - L

93. Indiana - W
109. Penn State

Non-Conference (10-1):
350. Lindenwood - W

342. Florida A&M - W

---Cornhusker Classic---
296. Rider - W
228. Stony Brook - W

---Sanford Pentagon---
172. Oregon State - W

---Cornhusker Classic---

105. Duquesne - W

219. Cal State Fullerton - W

15. Creighton - L
57. @Kansas State - W
276. North Dakota - W

328. South Carolina State - W

4 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

Bucky the Badger escaped the Barn with a Win, they won’t be so fortunate at the PBA. 

Would be another huge signature win. If they get by Michigan St. this weekend they will likely be top 10 when they come to Lincoln next week. And their NET ranking probably won't fall below 20ish the rest of the year. 

29 minutes ago, royalfan said:

I don’t have the time or energy to worry about Miles much, but I do know we might need him to start winning games,  mountain west currently 6 teams in.  Need some horrible losses to teams like San Jose st,  

I think they end up with 4 for sure and probably 5.  6 will be a stretch as they’ll end up beating themselves up. However, if Air Force can put together a few games like last night, that’ll help… and UNLV is always a tough out.

Go SJSU though!

1 hour ago, royalfan said:

I don’t have the time or energy to worry about Miles much, but I do know we might need him to start winning games,  mountain west currently 6 teams in.  Need some horrible losses to teams like San Jose st,  

Well, UNM is a 9 point favorite to win on KenPom so it would be a pretty big upset!  Plus Miles has a pretty special relationship with that jackwagon coach of theirs. 😂

11 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:
48 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Northwestern’s win bumped them back up to a Q-2 giving us 5 Q1 + Q2 victories.  

3-3, 2-0, 3-0, 7-0 are the quad records.

That looks like a Big Dance resume to me.

Now build a resume that looks like "a Big Dance and an NCAA tournament win."

8 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Here's a thought about that.

We would -- for a variety of reasons -- be a tough team for a non-conference opponent to prepare for in 2 days.

Dude…agree big time.  Been saying it all year…we are a terrifying scout.  We have so many shooters and scorers.

56 minutes ago, OurDecay said:

Dude…agree big time.  Been saying it all year…we are a terrifying scout.  We have so many shooters and scorers.

And it’s sooo easy too to be like “stop Tominaga” but in doing so, you leave guys wide open and this year we’re knocking down shots.

The one thing we don’t have is someone to drive AND finish.  I feel like that’s where we struggled the most.